1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Regrets

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MDZimmerman, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

I sold a 84 Gibson V, 89 G & L Legacy, 85 MIA B C Rich Eagle and a 88 MIJ ESP Maverick all of them I wish I wouldn't have got rid of. I had a Marshall JCM half stack and a Sovtek Mig 60 head I traded off, I got all that stuff back about 13 years later but I gave up a bit of stuff to get it back. I really wanted those heads back.

MDZimmerman likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

No Regerts!

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

None that I desperately wish I had back, but a couple I regret selling because I took a big loss on them (pre-Internet), and they'd be worth several times what I paid for 'em now... :cry:

MDZimmerman likes this.
  5. AZkoaMan

AZkoaMan Tele-Meister

Six years ago I took a commission to build a guitar. It was only the second guitar I finished but man, it turned out amazing! The customer was in a local country band (old school country, not that new pop crap) and he was a fantastic guitar player. Everything was awesome until about a year after he got the guitar. I guess he had a major personality flaw. He's one of those people that spent all his time watching and reading deeply partisan political 'news'. It got to where it's all he would talk about when I would hear from him, like his whole outlook on life had become distorted and twisted.

I was so proud of that guitar when it was done. A part of me really wanted to give him his deposit back and keep the guitar but what I really wanted was to build him a badass guitar and have it out there in the world being played, making great music, getting seen by other people. Instead he broke up his band, took down all the YouTube videos he had posted with the guitar, and the last conversation I ever had with him (by email) he just casually mentioned that he left the guitar at his brother-in-law's house (who doesn't even play guitar) in another city. I wish I could get that guitar back.

IMG_3715.JPG

AlabamaOutlaw and MDZimmerman like this.
  6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Sold my 1963 Fender Esquire (which my Dad bought for me in 1964 new) in 1966 to an Airman at Ellison Air Force Base (outside Fairbanks Alaska) where Dad was stationed. Got $115 for it since it was used. During leave after attending Navy Boot Camp (NTC San Diego Company 301 June to August 1966 (incase any boot camp shipmates are reading this post)) I could have bought the Esquire back but decided to wait until I got to my next duty station NAS (Naval Air Station) Jasonville, FL.

To be honest, if I had kept it I most likely would have traded it in for a Stratocaster which is the guitar I originally wanted but Dad couldn't afford (a fact that I have stated in another TDPRI forum topic).

MDZimmerman likes this.
  7. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

Great looking axe. Funny how a lot of tragedy is in fact self inflicted. Great story

fortj3 and AZkoaMan like this.
  8. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

A Gibson RD Artist traded away back in the 80s.

MDZimmerman likes this.
  9. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Yeah - back in 2008 or so I traded a Gretsch Electromatic 5120 (old model, with pinned bridge and "gretschbuckers" for a Yamaha A/E classical guitar that turned out to have a crack in the top (not a big problem with the low-tension of classical, but still!) That Yamaha rarely sees the light of day...

[​IMG]

MDZimmerman and rcole_sooner like this.
  10. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

There's a Raleigh guitarist who owns two of my former guitars. One is a 60s Guild Bluesbird; I've tried to buy it back from him at least a dozen times. He does allow me to play it from time to time.

bsman and MDZimmerman like this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was just learning to play, my parents rented a Strat for me at the local music store. It had the pickup selector down by the cutaway, but was an honest to dog '50's Strat. After the renal period, I took it back and when I convinced the folks to buy it it was gone. I did find out what happened to it. A guy in a touring band played a show at the local Roller-rink where they were doing concerts. The music store was down the street. He and a local guitarist who was taking him out guitar shopping went in and the English guitarist bought it. I've seen it in a video. His name was Jeremy Spencer and the band Fleetwood Mac. The local guitarist was Jerry Garcia. A friend recently interviewed Jeremy and he remembered buying the guitar, but he sold it some time ago and doesn't know where it is.

I had a '68 Les Paul Gold Top with P-90's. I traded it for a '66 Epiphone Riviera which I still own. I tried to track it down since i traded it for the Epi at Dean Markley Music in Santa Clara, CA. But he had no record of who he sold it to. He remebered it, though. I hope it found a good home.

Other then that, I just enjoy what I have. But I'd love to have those two back.

scan0003.jpg

12. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Sold my carvin nomad years ago to a guy that used to work for me when my X wife screwed me on taxes. (run on sentence) Tracked him down recently and tried to buy it back. Of course he wasn't willing to part with it.

MDZimmerman likes this.
  13. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I sold 2 PRS guitars to pay some bills a few years back, they were my dream guitars. Also my first and to date only high end guitars. One was a whale blue 10top custom 24 and the other was a soapbar McCarty with a natural finish.

I sold them to people who claimed they were their dream guitars as well, and within a month, both were on Craigslist for more than I sold them for. That was a bummer.

I tried to track them both down a year or so later, and they were deep in the wind.

MDZimmerman likes this.
  14. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

A story for the rock history books

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've stated before that I regret trading away my D-18 that I had for 44 years, but that's not the one I regret getting rid of the most. The one that shames me is a friend sold who me his guitar, also a D-18 and I in turn sold it. Like my D-18 his mother helped him get his when he was very young. He is now very near the end of life, he still misses his guitar. I wish that I were able to replace it, but sadly I don't even know where it is.

8barlouie likes this.
  16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Are you single? Want to get a drink sometime? ;) :D :p

Chicago Matt likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this post was about regerts.

18. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

I suppose the moral is we should never part with our instruments but sadly I've had to in order to finance other purchases that I then eventually regretted flipping as well. Never ending cycle...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I sold my 82 JV Strat in about 84 to a good friend as I was late getting paid from the USA for some freelance work I did .He promised he would offer it back to me first if he wanted to sell it .A few months later and a hefty bankers check arrives and my friend had just sold it to some one else at a loss. I hated him after that and when he died 20 years later and far too early I did a little dance. Sadly not on his grave as the selfish bastard was cremated .I am a poor looser.Mea Culpa

fortj3 and MDZimmerman like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Amen brother, amen.

MDZimmerman and Danjabellza like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.