Regional Pride (sorry south).

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
Q: What's better than proving you're tough enough to live in the North?

A: Living in the South.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I grew up in equal parts North (Minnesota) and South (Alabama) and I can't say that I prefer one over the other. Well except maybe for the time that Minnesota farm boy picked me up like a bail of hay and threw me into a snow bank. I'm pretty sure working on the farm dawn till dusk at thirty below zero has a negative effect on some of those folks sense of humor.:rolleyes:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
The difference between the north and south in terms of infrastructure basically comes down to:

- The south gets catastrophic events that are a big deal and kill people. But they always seem like one offs and it's somewhat easy to forget about them in between.

- The north gets the catastrophic events like clockwork. We had to deal with them or we will reliably have a whole bunch of people die every year. Winter sucks more and more the further you go north.

Texas' business/management issues around power last winter exist cause it's somewhat OK for them to exist.. in places where that would happen every winter we basically have more regulation to stop business/management from acting that way. Otherwise the same thing would be done here, cause it makes more money.
As much as you're right on the somewhat OK, it seems like this might be a thing. Beyond local city hall involvement I got involved in rec and conservancy lands management with nation-wide and international groups. A tangent from that was being neck deep in the clean and fix after a natural disaster and FEMA claims.

There really does seem to be differences in how an area feels and acts on taking care of stuff beyond one's own front and back yard. Some municipalities in my area acted fast and big with their own revenue gathering to do repairs and proactive fixes when we had the floods. In all that we also learned we were fast completing and really good at our FEMA claims.

My municipality has a shared area fire and school district. We have farming, high and bio tech and extreme diversity among all served. When there are factions disagreeing they seem more prone to common sense than parochial behavior some places have for same issues. We pass the sorts of referendums that are can't win wars in some places. I don't know exactly why because the municipality and ones like it are a lot different than when their original settlers got at it 150 or more years ago.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
This thread could get real political real fast.
Now I see what you mean but to me regional differences are a fascinating behavioral economics matter that's become great and compelling reading for me.

As said, I don't buy all stereotypes and don't think lots of reputations and ways reflect most who life in an area. My post should also be understood that it's really common in my work to have teamwork with people all over. Most are cordial and affectionate with their pokes and jokes. The way someone in TX jabs at one of their own cities along with mine should say enough of why one thought to poke right back in an intended to be humorous way.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Now I see what you mean but to me regional differences are a fascinating behavioral economics matter that's become great and compelling reading for me.

As said, I don't buy all stereotypes and don't think lots of reputations and ways reflect most who life in an area. My post should also be understood that it's really common in my work to have teamwork with people all over. Most are cordial and affectionate with their pokes and jokes. The way someone in TX jabs at one of their own cities along with mine should say enough of why one thought to poke right back in an intended to be humorous way.
I was born in North Carolina, but I’ve lived in Texas most of my life. I have lived and traveled elsewhere also. I’ve seen the redneck, cocky arrogance in Texas way more than anywhere else. But I’ve also found that people in Texas are, for the most part, more friendly than just about anywhere else I’ve been.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Someone alluded to it, but snow is an event in Texas because you'd be mad to prepare for it in the way the great lakes folks do. Fleet of pretreaters, salters, shovelers... even if you outsource, it's an operation. Grid is a whole other thing and they bear responsibility.

I'll also say it's a damnable lie that people in snowy regions are de facto better/safer drivers in the white stuff. Every time I've been up there in winter I've seen people doing really sketchy stuff, no shortage of these vids either.

Normal, nothing special Texas tacos:

View attachment 937806
East of Tyler, north of Dallas tacos:
View attachment 937811
That right there

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I couldn't help but lift this from a friend's Facebook post after a conf call had people in southern states made some incorrect assumptions. Especially the Texan who assumed our renewable energy isn't working. It is. We have two grocery stores and the HQ office all running from it as noon just us above 0 deg. F. We even have bicycle commuters out.

:)

271384557_486404709690635_3758935299296877585_n.jpg
Texas pride is ennured in the public school systems down here. It’s weird as hell.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll also say it's a damnable lie that people in snowy regions are de facto better/safer drivers in the white stuff. Every time I've been up there in winter I've seen people doing really sketchy stuff, no shortage of these vids either.
I had to hike to the grocery store in an ice storm once, and watched an SUV slide sideways past me, totally out of control. The driver was screaming, but was still holding his phone to his face.

He had Florida plates. I think that explains the bad driving in northern states.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I had to hike to the grocery store in an ice storm once, and watched an SUV slide sideways past me, totally out of control. The driver was screaming, but was still holding his phone to his face.

He had Florida plates. I think that explains the bad driving in northern states.
Yeah, I've lived on both coasts and in the middle and it is invariably the out of staters who've caused all the problems. Bizarre.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"I've been everywhere man"

Boy howdy I was so fortunate, in the summer of 1973 I rode my bicycle across the US from Santa Monica, California to Atlantic City, New Jersey.

What a great wonderful big ass country!!
Changed my life... And didn't have any flat tires!

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Someone alluded to it, but snow is an event in Texas because you'd be mad to prepare for it in the way the great lakes folks do. Fleet of pretreaters, salters, shovelers... even if you outsource, it's an operation. Grid is a whole other thing and they bear responsibility.

That right there

There's so much more driving and people having started moving around more in my life that a notable portion of poor drivers is an everywhere problem.

We have less people like my cohort where your geography, demographics and upbringing de facto, taught driving skills. My kids only got their version of it because of my side and hobby work.

Our ski club is really a private ski area with jumping, biathlon range, "down hill", Nordic and a MTB bike park. An annual progression of hundreds of kids in lessons that age out (move on). 15 years ago a particular "4x4 only" sign on a service road was respected and most with 4x4s knew when to not even try it. By last year it was chaos. You could see diesel rigs with chains and a 4x4 tractor with chains struggling. Dads were arguing with me about how great whatever the marketing make for their CarUVs AWD was superior. We gave up one day and there was a bunch of macho/sissy/ego pickups, luxury brand SUVs and a few mini vans crashed and stuck up to days. It was hard to keep a straight face with a few for the incident.

The best I can say for it is while many mostly look in poor shape parents sit in idling cars we teach their kids good stuff. A lot of those kids have become interested in the year round stuff and life long activities. We have waiting lists.