Regional Pride (sorry south).

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm glad to see @Sparky2 and @JL_LI posts because from lots of travel and lots of years I've found and enjoyed precious people, places and things all over. I found a lot of ways, attitudes or sentiments don't reflect stereotypes, and some negative aspects are not the average person.

At one point a good post from @getbent brought up someone faulting him for being too optimistic about people. That struck me because I'm often guilty of it but learning that attitude has served me better than not. It really helped do much travel without fear and handle leadership roles I never expected or asked for. We can tease about regional pride but should be able to get along anywhere.

Edit: And in my own region you can see plenty of ludicrous. Our main home and 2nd home locations are almost different worlds.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
ludicrousdisplay0.gif

NC E30

Tele-Meister
I’ve traveled to or through 49 of 50 states plus 40 other countries. I’ll get to ND one day, and not just as a fly over either. Sorry. One thing I’ve seen everywhere I’ve gone is that the one thing everyone has about “others” is misconceptions. No place I’d been for the first time was as I’d imagined it would be.
Couldn't agree more!
Paris France. We encountered a single rude person in three visits. One Parisienne missed his train helping my wife and I find ours.

My wife and I have rarely encountered rudeness or unsavory behavior anywhere we’ve travelled and where we have, it’s always been outweighed by people who were nothing but helpful and kind.
Having traveled a bit, I have also observed that for the most part the way other people treat you is a direct result of how you approach them.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I couldn't help but lift this from a friend's Facebook post after a conf call had people in southern states made some incorrect assumptions. Especially the Texan who assumed our renewable energy isn't working. It is. We have two grocery stores and the HQ office all running from it as noon just us above 0 deg. F. We even have bicycle commuters out.

:)

271384557_486404709690635_3758935299296877585_n.jpg
Texas is a HUGE state.....when you've got this many people, and half of them are below average intelligence, that's a BUNCH of stupid folks.
BTW.....many Texans actually envy the "North's" climate when it allows cycling. It doesn't work down here when we have temps in the 90's or above ten months out of the year.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I've lived half my life in the Midwest and half in the South and I'd say the misperceptions between the two are about even, although I tend to find that southerners have a somewhat better understanding of the midwest than vice-versa. What's interesting to me is that for all of the differences, I think the Midwest and South share more in common with each other than they do with the East and West Coasts.

Texas is part of the South the way Florida is part of the South, which is to say sorta but not really.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I've lived half my life in the Midwest and half in the South and I'd say the misperceptions between the two are about even, although I tend to find that southerners have a somewhat better understanding of the midwest than vice-versa. What's interesting to me is that for all of the differences, I think the Midwest and South share more in common with each other than they do with the East and West Coasts.

Texas is part of the South the way Florida is part of the South, which is to say sorta but not really.
That's my consensus and the misconceptions can be more out of line because an area's marketing, leadership and politics usually skews differently than most of the residents. My pursuit of the real people when traveling has only been a truly bad choice once but I survived a gun aimed at me. It could happen with a wrong turn all over in my own country.

Now I have to see the video of the kid but later - I'm in the data center and can't spend whole days on TDPRI.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I think you'll get a side debate as to whether or not Texas is a southern state. I think they are generally considered their own thing OR a southwestern state... more ranches than farms...

as to misconceptions, it is good to determine if it is willful and with purpose or just a 'not active' mind that barely scratches to be informed. If it is the latter, you might be able to inform them and send them on their way, if it is the former, they are likely intractable... but that didn't stop Don Quixote!
We are our own thank you. We are top of the food chain. We make our own energy. For better or worse. Lol. I’m example the last freeze we had!

But yea Id rather be south west and kick it with New Mexico and Arizona