1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Regarding Charlie Christian

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jonkay1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I've heard of Charlie Christian since I was a kid. I knew about the Charlie Christian guitar pick-up and that he played in Benny Goodmans' band. But I never ever heard his actual playing, not even on records. Thanks to the wonders of You Tube, I heard him for the first time the other day. He was an amazing guitarist, his playing so smooth and free flowing. His playing was as good or better than anyone, even to this present time. I read that it was Benny Goodmans' manager that forced Goodman to hire him and that Goodman was very resentful about being saddled with this unknown guitar player, but he had a complete change of heart the first time that he heard Charlie Christian play. He was astounded at what he was hearing. You could say that Charlie Christian introduced the world to the sound of electric jazz guitar.

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, Charlie C.....That tone haunts me, that phrasing, just something magical there. Transcriptions of his stuff don't do nothing for what is really going on there. That's cause he was an original. Like you I was astoundd at his playing, after hearing about him for so long. I'm glad I was old enough to appreciate what was going on there, cuase its a miracle to hear that Benny Goodman stuff. Another one, too young.

4. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That is just great! In those days the drummers (or first chair percussionests) were top shelf as well with accents and their syncapation suited the timing of the number not like the flat out slog of some these days. That reminds me of an old mate who has since left the planet, but "Bronco" played some of the best piano I've ever heard, jazz, dance even a touch classical, an excellent muso all round. Bronco's problem was he liked the booze, I mean a lot! Someone brought him back a New York (pretty sure it was New York) telephone book as a gift/joke. Bronco got on the lunatic soup one night and was looking at the phone book and came across Krupa G. and said to himself "I wonder?"

So, old Bronco picked up the phone and rang the number, turned out it was Gene Krupa and he said they had a great conversation for about an hour, and he said Mr. Krupa was a real gentleman and couldn't believe that anyone remembered him after all that time.

That was Bronc's party story for a long time and it was true. Bronco Johnson was his name .......never ever found out what his real first name was.

5. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

You're right on all counts. I have a boxset from Columbia Records that contains everything Charlie ever recorded, and it's amazing. He truly is the father of the electric guitar in terms of soloing, jazz, etc.

6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I kinda had the same experience. I'd heard about him for so long and finally just added a Charlie Christian station to my Pandora. It's really fantastic stuff. I've also added a Joe Pass and Django station as well and mix them together. Great music from 3 very different stylists.

7. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

In some of those songs Charlie was playing Be Bop lines ten years before Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie!

8. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

9. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

I'm a fan, too. Columbia released the Solo Flight double LP in the late 60s. I had read, in Guitar Player magazine, where B.B. King named him as a big influence (along with Louis Jordan, T-Bone Walker, and Lonnie Johnson). I bought the record, but being a teenager at the time, with no background in jazz and expecting it to be more B.B. King like - I was disappointed. Then about 15 years later, I heard Charlie's playing with more experienced ears and more of an open mind and loved it. I've been a big fan ever since then. Seems to me that he and T-Bone Walker set the standard for jazz and blues - great tone and incredible phrasing. He was obviously influenced by horn players.

10. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Without Charlie, music would be VERY different then it is today.

To me, he's among the most important guitarists of all time, right up there with Segovia and Django.

11. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

+1

12. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

+1 yes indeed

What always strikes me about Charlie Christian is how fresh and modern he still sounds. Here's a young man learning this by himself, with no precedents on the instrument to guide him, and yet he sounds completely polished and sophisticated. It is almost as if the solution to "how to play jazz electric guitar" was just waiting to be discovered rather than invented, and he found it.

Truly amazing. If only he had survived past 23.

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Must have been something in the water in Oklahoma to produce all those great electric guitar players at the same time. Eldon Shamblin (who was playing all the same gigs around OKC as Charlie in the early to mid '30s), Noel Boggs(who played some with Charlie & his brother Ed), and my favorite Junior Barnard (who was the staff guitar player in Tulsa at the time Charlie was in OKC).
    Then you had the Texas Playboys all playing electric instruments over in Tulsa every week starting in 1935. Funny all those other players in Oklahoma ended up at one time playing with the Texas Playboys. I wonder if Charlie had lived longer would he at some point record with the Texas Playboys also, or continued to do more pop-jazz.

One thing for sure there were some very influential electric guitar players all in one area of Oklahoma in the '30s.

14. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Jesse Ed Davis was great OK guy as well. Charlie played on a live recording that appears
    to to be out of print now. This one done in the mid-40s was not bebop but progressive
    modern jazz as would become known and more popular in the late '50s or early '60s.
    When first hearing this recording and looking at the recording date was really amazed
    and it included a band of future jazz stars.

15. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I read on the Internet that Charlie Christian is buried in an unmarked grave near his home town in Oklahoma. If true, how very sad. Seems like a guy of his stature certainly deserved more.

16. cowboytwang

It was an unmarked grave near his birthplace in Bonham, Texas. In 1994 the state of Texas put a headstone and marker on what they believe is his grave site.

[​IMG]

17. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

So what we really have is another
    great Texas guitar player.

Ha!

18. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Did not realize he died at 26 years old...

19. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

He was clearly Canadian.. :)

20. cowboytwang

His family, and Charlie himself, moved to Oklahoma City when he was around 4 years old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.