Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Oct 5, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Took the mac to apple they said it was the video chip/card and not worth fixing. I would save about $350 on a refurb. from apple, that would be a 2019 model. My wife thinks I should get a new one I would a $160 credit for mine. Anyway no rush sill have my iPad so I have time to think about it.

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that is this little card right here, it can be repaired quite easily with the right equipment ( which I have) too bad

-1.jpg

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a refurbished iMac from Apple in 2013, it's a 2011 (mid) model. I loaded it with full RAM (32GB) and it''s still
    working fine for me. I can't update to the new Catalina OS but it still does everything I need it for.
    Good luck!

4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

But then Apple did say they would “allow” privateers to fix iPhones , screen and batteries

5. SacDAve

It did not know that thanks

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I've always bought refurb'd/used macs, whether directly from apple or elsewhere. One thing to be aware of is how expandable newer gen macs are. At least for the mac mini series, apple has seriously limited what users can replace/upgrade in the last few gens. May not be the same with iMacs, but worth checking out before buying.

7. SacDAve

OK the new Mac has landed My wife said to buy a new one not a refurb. The one thing you can count on at the apple store every person you talk to tells you something else. One of the big problems I had was my DAW interface is an Apollo Twin They are not compatible with the IOS Catalina current operating system for Macs. Went to the Apple Friday to see if they could instal Mojave 10.14.5 he asked one of the techs they said no The computer will not work with anything less that Catalina. None the less I needed a computer it won't be long until an upgrade for my Apollo will be available. Clicking on "About this Mac" It's using Mojave now can't believe it's working. I did disable the automatic updates Will update when my Apollo and all my plugins will work. AS for the new Mac it's pretty nice but have a lot of transferring from old Mac to New, something called migration. Still will be hours of work and I'm not that great with Computer stuff. As for the old Mac might be a good project for my son he like that kind of stuff. Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 12.27.08 PM.png

8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That’s hilarious. How can a computer that was made well before the new OS only work on the nw OS?

I’m glad you got what you were after, I love my Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SacDAve

I love my apple stuff, but I think most the people in the Apple stores haven't a clue of facts. I never once had them solve, fix any problem I've had.

jimilee likes this.
  10. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

True story, if they’d research this stuff as a much as I do, they might be helpful. I hate when I know more about the stuff they’re selling than they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 track and SacDAve like this.
  11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I've bought a couple for my daughter, over the years. They were great. Instead of taking a discount on the models we were after, buying refurbished allowed us to bump up the specs for the same money.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Late to the conversation but I've owned two refurbished Macs and both were top notch. Some "refurbished" units are nothing more than returns.
    My daughter is still using a refurb MacBook Air bought her 4 years ago.
    If you're used to a Mac, I think you will be disappointed going to Windows. That's even more true if you're used to using Logic.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The salespeople in the Apple Store locations can be very good with tech details but they are not the same as making an appointment for help with certified staff.

Apple Store locations and qualified independent stores can both boot your system via Ethernet and the independent might be more willing or able to use an older image to load the computer.

The reality for the core issue is Apple warned support for 32 bit apps is going away a long time ago. For the past year the OS version warned that when you run those programs. If you want more support for old software architecture you'll have to choose a different path or operating system.

You can also consider beta versions if a program is not yet ready. Most of those betas are quite stable. It's no fun and I know this because two programs I depend on were not ready but their work around options are reasonable.

I have to fight this compatibility issue with different operating systems. It's worse where I have new Windows 10 systems and modern screen resolution and then have to make accommodations to run old software.

One can also make a virtual machine to run old software.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.