Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

There’s a few Macs ‘round here (quietly closing the office door so that nobody can count them all) and this 2009 iMac is never powered down - always just put into sleep mode (for many years now).

You can check video “card” function using an attached 2nd monitor. Won’t see those lines on it, if card’s still good. Plenty of good, inexpensive, used aluminum Apple 20” Cinema Displays (and other monitors) available on the market. (Normally run a two-display setup here anyway.)

BUT if it’s the screen “gone bad” and you don’t have a trusted tech to replace it (or the card) inexpensively… Refurbs (or used Campus cast-offs as mentioned above by 24 Track) are the way to go. All machines here get a yearly compressor nozzle blow-out. Dust is thine enemy.

If you do have to retire yours… have some fun and remove your RAM, HD and maybe even the disc drive. Message me and I’ll send you a nice new RocketFish external enclosure for your old HD so you can use it for backup - or simply to retain your old data.

R-Fish.jpg

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I bought an Apple-refurbed MacBook Pro in 2008. It's still working today, so it worked out for me.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought an independent refurbished MacBook Pro (significantly less than a factory refurbish) just for recording. The optical drive eventually died after about 4 years, so I bought an external drive for under $100. Otherwise, still runs like a champ.

24 track likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I like refurbs!

I figure there is some tech whose name is attached to it and if it goes back gets called out! SO more apt to make it right!

Failing that Black Friday deals usually the same or better price.

Apple still makes best OS and hardware but bafflingly can craft software better than some kook in moms basement...

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am sure the hardware is top quality. I would be worried about Apple’s policy of planned obsolescence. Since refurbished means its already a few years old.

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

the apple website has lots of 2019 refurbs, I did see other websites with older ones but i would go with a 2019

Boubou likes this.
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I got a used 2012 MAc Mini on eBay, and it wasn't cheap but it was less than from Apple.
    i7 Ivy Bridge 16 gig.
    The problems I had were slow HD and overheating.
    And they were both the same problem.
    I took it apart ( very nervewracking) and used the tools from OWC to install an SSD. I found that the original HD was actually blocking the cooling. With the SSD in the right place, and the original drive in a $9.00 box for misc. tasks, I am now running PT 2019 over OS Mojave, and it's working like a charm.

8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have an old iPad 2, I bought new in 2011. Never had any problems with it. I bough a refurb iPad 5 from Apple in May and the video display began flickering due to a bad connector last month. Apple were very good about swapping for another one. I hope this one does better.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

what you have is a broken solder joint on your graphics card a quick reballing of the graphics chip and it would come up like new, look at the link I put on post #7 it shows the process involved

If you were closer I'ld fix it for free! only the shop supplies

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Pasta Player likes this.
  10. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

I've ad several iMacs from Apple, all refurbs, with no problems.

On a different note note, Apple has finally offered a Mil discount,

11. SacDAve

i saw that on line i’ll look at that again.

24 track likes this.
  12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I've bought numerous refurbished Macbooks, iPads and iPhones from Apple and they've always been like new. The only difference that I've been able to see is that they arrive in a plain white box instead of one with lots of writing and pictures on it.

13. 24 track

14. SacDAve

24 track likes this.
  15. SacDAve

BTW my iphone broke last week 2.5 years old , my wife is on that, she getting me an 11 she’s believes in the latest and greatest. Myself i’m starting to wonder if apples quality is taking a dive. ☹️ I went to all apple stuff in 2007 I hope they start taking a bit more pride in their products.

16. 24 track

its funny that macs were stable , servicable, albeit, propriatory upto when Steve Jobs died then it seems like the inovative technology died and it appears that Apple went for the money grab on their products , simple things like you cant take apart the screens on the thin line Imac with out destoying the gasket seal , and as a result you need to purchase a kit to do so even to do a Hard drive up grade this is so wrong IMHO , they're engineering team crams so much stuff into a small area that overheating and resultant damage is inevitable , a deffinate.... HMM, factor for sure!

SacDAve likes this.
  17. SacDAve

they put a chip in some products now so only apple fix them, (T2 security chip)i noticed some of the small privateers in my area are out of business

24 track likes this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That doesn't make sense to me. Technology makers don't generally have perpetual support. Apple's life span is generally very good and for me often reminded by the significant technology purchases I have to make to keep an enterprise and employees outside the enterprise secure. This month's big reminders are the upcoming deadline for Windows 7 to be retired and having to replace computerized food processing and commerce hardware.

It's not as straight forward as Microsoft but you can know the latest fixed releases and then learn if your device runs the version.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Computers and other electronics just don't age or always have extended life same as other machines and obsolescence is more about security, features and performance most want or huge groups demand.

My main advice on used gear after reliability and security remains being aware of the superior display options available. Especially if you use it a lot and keep stuff long.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I'm in the middle of dealing with a "late 2014" mac mini that has a failing hard drive. We discovered that this model, and for several years after, have the RAM soldered to the board, so it can's be upgraded. So, if you buy a mini in that range, be sure it's got all the RAM you want already.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.