Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Oct 5, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My iMac took a dump pretty sure it’s the video card, it’s about 9 years old. So i’m looking at new ones (27”) it seems you get a more bang for your buck with a refurbished mac. Has any ever bought one? I’m taking it in on Wednesday to see what the cost for a repair would be, from a web search “IK”.My wife suggest just buying a new one. I considered going to a PC but most people using logic pro were dissatisfied when they went back to a PC. Anyway thoughts on a refurbished iMac??

2. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I've bought refurbished Apple products from the Apple store and they seemed like new to me

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For me it would depend on what kind of warranty they offered. Don't know about Apples refurbished machines but there's a lot of products that get marketed as manufacturer refurbished that are actually sold off by the manufacturer to 3rd party "jobbers" that do "factory approved" repairs. Beware.

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Refurbs are good buys, but you have to know what you need.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

Apple refurbs are backed by the same warrenty as a new product. I've bought 2 macbook pros from the apple website refurb list. no issues at all.'

PhatBoy, TheGoodTexan and Greggorios like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

What exactly does it mean ?

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I do alot of repairs on Imacs early Imacs I reball graphics chips and so far I am 100 for 100% repairs that stay working . a while ago I did a post on this subject to show wht is involved with the process If this helps have at it < the shop rates for these repairs is rediculous I can re ball a unit in one hr, from dismantle to rebuild there is nothing magic about it, period

this particular unit over heated because the colling array had a pin sized hole in it that leaked all of the coolant out , I replaced that and it now heats to 97F and is stable instead of the 178F I was getting before

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/computer-maintenance-part-deux.781112/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My refurb max mini and laptop not lasted about 12 years. I replaced the mini with another 12 year old refurbished because it works for what I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SacDAve and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm on a refurbished Lenovo gaming laptop. Bought it for half the going rate about 5 years ago and it's performed flawlessly, it's the first refurbished laptop ive owned but has lasted the longest of all my laptops without issues. It's got a 17inch screen which is nice. If I was going for best bang for buck I wouldn't be shopping for apple products.

24 track and SacDAve like this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

My kid sister managed an Apple retail store and every computer they used in the offices were factory refurb units. As long as they were refurb by factory instead of independent, you will be getting essentially getting a new system with some minor cosmetic wear. If this was a business expense, I would buy new and take the tax deduction, but if for personal usage, the refurb route makes sense.

Pasta Player and PhatBoy like this.
  11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Apple refurbs are great. There are a few other reputable places where you can get good used "renewed" or refurbished Apple stuff, and they're often somewhat cheaper than Apple. Look for places like PowerMax that offer a warranty.

12. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

FWIW-- while I've had good luck with refurb Apples, I also bought a refurbed Lenovo laptop from Best Buy. They had a ton of them and I learned why-- every so often the display would glitch out for several seconds. Widespread problem according to Google searches...yet no solution from manufacturer. Probably a ton of returns that passed inspection given the glitch was sporadic often taking a couple hours of use to occur.

13. 24 track

the only units i will not touch are the thin line , mostly because they gave up on the magnetic screen covers ( easy to remove ) and replaced them with a sealed gasget that you have to destroy to get into the unit then buy a new kit to replace the glass , just a money grab by apple and not a cheap one at that . the inside of towers, Lap tops and Imacs is really straight forward and easy to work on, but should never cost 50-60.00 just to install a hard drive , the graphics cards in these units heats up because the vents need to be cleaned and the cooling air flow needs to be clear. once the graphic chips fail so far a re-balling works fine but in the odd case like the repair I did above the cooling array was the culprit , that is wierd , and a one off ,HMMM...

I also do Pc laptops with the same results and 100% positive results , except for one acer laptop that will not powerup even with a new power supply and a new internal power cable ,I got it to work gave it back to the customer she took it in to a shop have the hard drive wiped and it got hit by a power surge , the power supply was killed and the lap top wont power up now no matter what

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. 24 track

one avenue I had with computers was I knew the supplier to the local university and every 6 months they re supplied 1/2 of the university with new computers and would sell off the ones they replaced 150.00 for a PC tower and 300.00 for the macs from the arts lab I now have 5 mac towers 2 mac book pros 2 Imac 21" also Mac cinema 21" monitors I have 5 of these,

just something to look into!

Pasta Player and radiocaster like this.
  15. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I bought a refurbished iMac from Apple back in January. Saved a bunch of money, and it has worked flawlessly. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

First, if for demanding use know some iMacs and minis can have slower spindle speed hard drives. That's something one might not ever notice or something that will impact performance. This is no different with a PC or any computer. Storage can be a performance bottleneck or a non-issue. Some Macs have tiered storage called Fusion. That's a solid state and spindle drive configured to act or look like one drive. They can make for lower cost but performance just like having a more expensive large solid state drive.

Next, if you're doing any manner of an upgrade consider a "Retina" type. One that will have the very high quality display you might be used to with a quality mobile device.

Some Mini models are more repairable or at least easier to change storage. They won't be a choice for Retina display. A mini with solid state drive from third party can be a performer in its own way and at a decent price. We have a one generation old Mini in the house with a plenty fine Samsung display and no one complains. It was my music system and now a general purpose computer for the family.

Finally, as said an Apple refurb guaranties a level of post sale quality but at a price. Some 3rd party sellers have higher ratings than others. Also for used gear you can look to see how repairable the system is. There are sites and youtube content providers that can give you insights.

I'm very happy with a 27" Retina type that has the 2 TB "Fusion" storage I described. 16 GM of RAM made a difference but I'm a power user often running a Windows 10 VM or a lot of browser tabs that include sophisticated web apps. You can use the built in utilities or UNIX top command to know what in your use needs or uses a lot of resources to best tune what you need - RAM, CPU power or storage performance.

Good luck.

17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Shot of the screen after the computer runs for awhile, It seems to work for a short period of time (20min) so might be overheating, Taking it in Wednesday to apple curious to see what they say. It I decide fix it my luck with apple repairs or using their genius bar have always been less than stellar. I’ leaning towards a refurb on the 27” being able to install second party ram yourself is a big plus, apple charges an arm and leg for it. 56770CCF-3240-499E-B843-0CC71D4F7AC8.jpeg

Pasta Player and 24 track like this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Apple’s own refurbs are great. Had an iMac and an iPad from there.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a few from various sources, the only Apple products I have had trouble with were two I bough new.. YMMV

20. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I’ve got two refurb MacBooks - got them on Amazon. They do refurbs (because of course they do), and they are warrantied and still going strong. I chose amazon because there were more options than the apple refurb store and the prices were great. Food for thought!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.