1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Jul 25, 2012.

1. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Between me, my wife, and my mom, we've bought six refurb Apple laptops (in addition to several new ones) over the last 16 years or so. Have had no real issues with any of them. The second refurb I bought, in 1999, had a bad logic board which was replaced under warranty. That's the extent of the problems I've had.

2. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm on a refurbished iMac at this very moment. Bought two years ago at a substantial savings. Arrived new in box and fully warrantied. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

3. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

They're covered under the same warranty terms as the new macs. Buy them with some credit cards and you can further add a year to whatever warranty option you choose.

4. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Me too haha. I have a MacBook that does better, but after a busted hard drive, I had to revert back to the G4 for the adobe suite.

5. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

Keep in mind, a refurb from Apple is treated like it is brand new. You get the same 1-year Apple Care warranty as everyone else, and you're allowed to extend that by 2-years with an upgrade. And not all refurbs are items that had something wrong with them; some are items that were returned (buyer's remorse, failed to make payments, whatever).

I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 15-inch (early-2008 model) in late 2008. The only issue I had with it was due to the video card; it was a known issue, and when it died last year, two years after my warranty had expired, Apple replaced the entire logic board (the video card was soldered on to it; $500 worth of repairs) for free. I basically had the entire insides, minus the RAM/harddrive, of my then 3 year old laptop completely replaced, at no cost to me. (Also note, I took it in to an Apple store on a Saturday afternoon, and I was able to pick it up Monday on my lunchbreak; I was without my computer for less than 48 hours.)

Over the holidays, I bought a refurbished iMac (mid-2011 model). So far, I've had no issues with it either, but it is still under warranty if I do.

With both of my refurbs, if there was ever anything wrong with either, I couldn't possibly tell you what it was -- they both came in the same packaging a new item would come in with all the same extras (manuals, cables, keyboard, mouse, etc) and were flawless cosmetically. By buying the refurb, I saved myself about $400 in both cases. Some of their refurb discounts aren't huge, but if you're patient, you can find some real deals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.