Refugees keep coming... but will TDPRI exile ST asylum-seekers?

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by JB74, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Bodean

Bodean Tele-Meister

Wal Mart street maybe

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I only have a tele. Not because I think they are the bees knees, but because it's all I have. There. I said it.

I will say it has lasted 20 years with not an inkling of the amount of issues the LP I sold for the cash to buy it (and a few other things). I love it. Not necessarily because it's a tele, but because it's my tele, and it's been good to me.

Jim_in_PA and Telecaster88 like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

If your Tele is good to you, then you don’t have it set up right. Give those saddle height screws 1 1/2 turns clockwise.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

“Refugees keep coming... but will TDPRI exile ST asylum-seekers?“

or

?

JB74 likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Well, good in the sense that it continues to be playable, despite minimal work needed over a 20 year period. I had some fret work done around 5-6 years ago. The last two I've been woodshedding pretty consistently, and it's starting to show some fretwear again. No hurry to take it in, but I won't do fret work myself. The other day the high E was so badly out of intonation (fretted and harmonic). I adjusted things a bit, and of course new strings. It's better. But since my woodshedding has been mainly in E and A (yeah, I still suck that much), you can guess which frets are the worst culprits.

It's good in the sense that I only paid $300 new for it in '99 (MIM), and it continues to be playable. Whether or not that's because it's a tele I can't answer, since it's been my main guitar for 20 years.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

JB74 likes this.
  7. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot NEW MEMBER!

Another Strat-Talk refugee. It's time to buy a Tele. Do they come with 3 pickups and a 5 way switch? ;)

JB74 likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I've had my Tele since 1988, the one in my profile pic. Never had a setup in all those years, so as a giggle I took it into my shop a few weeks back to get adjusted. It came back exactly the same. That's a Tele for ya.

10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How long before I can get full citizenship? I grew up on and played strats for 20 years - then got a tele and gradually it became my #1. Now I have 2 teles? Do I need a green card to stay here? LOL!

11. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If a keyboard player can join, I think you'll do just fine here. Oh, ok...I at least decided to build some of these git-fiddles, too. :) :D

JB74 likes this.
  12. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

I'm (was o_O) more active as ST'er, yet my personal best and favorite guitar is a TE! ;)

JB74 likes this.
  13. Lavochkin

Lavochkin TDPRI Member

I have a strat, but didn't join for guitars at all - I joined for the DIY amp forum.

wtk0315, JB74 and bftfender like this.
  14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

We need to correct our language to make it more guitar-neutral. For example, the term "Tele Meister" excludes those who don't possess a guitar of the iconic shape. Are all truly welcome here? Surely, we can do better.

Slap Axe likes this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

came for the tele's,,now dont like em too much,.gott a cool case with the one,,kept the case...did find my way with great fender amp advice tho...dialed Supers & Pro in pretty nice ...

16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

They put up with me here for 12 years before I got a Tele. You'll be fine.

I mean, you'll get a Tele.

But you'll be fine.

JB74, beagle and Slap Axe like this.
  17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

That’s known as the Nashville Telecaster.

JB74 and Slap Axe like this.
  18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Welcome.

I joined several forums about five years ago. This is the most helpful. And the most fun. I only hang out here.

I do own a Tele. But also own a LP Special. I have recently acquired a Strat and a Taylor acoustic.

Since joining TDPRI I have also acquired several (maybe many?) pedals--including all of the pedals I use now. And three amps. In my defense, my late wife talked me into one of the amps and some of the pedals.

Still--every gear manufacturer in the world should be subsidizing this site. :)

JB74 likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We have bass players and fiddlers and even a cello player here, shouldn't be an issue.

BUT, if you're not yet hip to the fact that half our discussions revolve around our not being able to find a stock Tele we like; then that makes you a true refugee here.

Don't have to live like a refugee, spend some time at Tele Home Depot and also read some "best Tele pickups" "Best Tele saddles" and "Best aftermarket Tele neck threads, followed by some "I keep tightening the truss rod and the action keeps getting worse" threads.

What you'll find is that:

1) Almost none of us like stock Teles, and of those who don't, maybe half start from a pile o' parts while the other half buy a basic Tele and mod it until we like it.

And 2) The only way you can remain a member without at least modding one Tele is by doing, documenting, and posting a thread with pics about the terrible stuff that happens when you pick up a screwdriver.
    Some acts that will get you non-modder-non-builder membership include: Breaking your truss rod, putting at least three visible unplanned dings in the $450 relic nitro finish on your $79 Import Tele body, buying $450 worth of Stew Mac nut making tools and then making three (3) nuts that suck, burning down your garage soldering a four way switch while looking at the schematic on your ipad, or drillijg tuner holes all the way through the headstock at least six times.

Remember, you have to take pics that prove you should not be allowed to mod guitars for us to let you off the hook.

If you don't have the stomach for guitar destruction, all you really need to do is buy a Tele you don't think sucks all that much and then reverse the control plate. As long as you post a thread about reversing the control plate, ask lots of questions during the process, and perform the mod with at least one overpriced Stew Mac tool, you will be accepted as a full fledged obssesive compulsive TDPRI modder member.

20. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I'm not an asylum seeker but a usual attendee of My Les Paul that would like to spread my wings a bit. I don't currently have a Tele nor a Les Paul though I've had both in the past. I've scratch-built 2 LP DC Jrs in the past and plan on building 2 Teles here shortly. I hope it's acceptable as I really enjoy it here. Hardly a cork-sniffer in sight as well as MLP, at least in the sections that I would frequent. I always try to curb my politics and appreciate others here that do as well. These are strange times and I frequent forums to research, share and relax as I'm sure the majority of us do as well. See ya out there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.