Refrigerator woes

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Congrats! Home Depot has treated us really well. We had a Maytag washer and dryer from hell a few years ago and after about three months of service calls they swapped us a GE washer and dryer and took back the Maytags.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Congrats! Home Depot has treated us really well. We had a Maytag washer and dryer from hell a few years ago and after about three months of service calls they swapped us a GE washer and dryer and took back the Maytags.

Maytag used to be great, but they went downhill fast over a decade ago. If you really want a good no frills washer and dryer, get Speed Queen top loaders. They're a little more expensive than some of them, but they'll just last. They're old school built.

I have a 20 year old Kenmore direct drive washer and dryer set and they just keep going. Absolutely no electronics, all mechanical, and they can be repaired, unlike most of the modern washers and dryers.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Maytag used to be great, but they went downhill fast over a decade ago. If you really want a good no frills washer and dryer, get Speed Queen top loaders. They're a little more expensive than some of them, but they'll just last. They're old school built.

I have a 20 year old Kenmore direct drive washer and dryer set and they just keep going. Absolutely no electronics, all mechanical, and they can be repaired, unlike most of the modern washers and dryers.

When we had the Maytags (they had been bought by Amana and "badge-engineered") the service guy told us "it's a good thing you have the warranty, you are going to need it!"

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My father-in-law had an old white Admiral fridge out in his shop behind the house. From the design of it, it might have been manufactured somewhere between WWII and Korea. I didn't make noise and kept the beer cold. He passed about 5 years ago, but the Admiral is still going strong.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, "Why can't they build stuff to last like that any more?" We buy GE fridges, made in US and they're usually good for 10+ years, but NOTHING like this old Admiral. Makes you wonder ...

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The problem is getting a service guy out there, and getting the parts. There's not many people that will work on those LG's, and the problem has it been so bad there's a class action lawsuit. My neighbor had a $3,500 LG that was only a year-and-a-half old. it died, they couldn't get it fixed, and he finally just dumped it and bought a Whirlpool.

What do you expect from an outfit that builds everything as cheap as possible because they have to ship it all halfway around the globe and still make a profit? And that lame smiley face kid's drawing they have for a logo should be a red flag. Just sayin' ...

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
I've had good luck (knock on wood) with major appliances. When I bought a new house in 1991, I also bought a new Hot Point 27cf side by side. Except for the ice maker, it is still running as good as new. Last year, I thought I shouldn't push my luck and bought a new Fridgidaire side by side (no ice maker) and put the Hot Point in the garage next to our giant upright freezer (I call it the walk-in). The Hot Point seems like its going to run forever. Its nice to have a backup fridge in case one bites the dust.

Additionally, when I bought that house in 1991, I also bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer. The Hot Point and the Kenmores made the move with me from California to Texas in 2005 and all still going strong.