Refrigerator woes

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
If you live close to a super market, i would buy groceries day to day, and maybe a few cans of food, though they are not the best food you can find.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Had to replace the compressor on a 3 year old LG. Everything I read says the LG and derivatives' compressors are known to be bad and yet they keep using them. My brother-in-law has a garage refrig that was his parents. Compressor is on top. You need an ice pick to defrost it, but it still runs and keeps the beer nice and cold.

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire
I had the same problem. Bang went the refrigerator. Had toneait a while for the new one. But it’s worth it: the new one is really cool. Better light inside, the departments are cleverly arranged. All is good.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I wasn't even aware that free-standing was different from built in. Interesting. I assumed that built-in appliances were "free standing" and then you built cabinets around them. I didn't know that folks had built in refrigerators. I'm guessing these are really high-end homes?

I've seen some nice homes where there is a Wolf or Viking range, but although they fit snugly in their space, are those also considered free-standing? I don't know the difference.

Yeah usually if you have a big 36-inch free-standing range it's a pretty high-end home, and all those Wolf and Vikings are freestanding ranges, unless they are just the cooktop that is built into the counter, with cabinets below them. Basically you just need two or three guys to lug those beasts in, hook up the gas line and plug them in. What I install is more like built-in dishwashers, cooktops, over the range microwaves, and built-in ovens that go into a cabinet. Also hook up sinks. I work alone so I don't do things like Sub-Zero built-in refrigerators. Those are a nightmare to bring it to the house and install. Some people have them upstairs and they actually have to get a crane to bring them in over a balcony.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Makes me wish we could go back to ice boxes and getting ice delivered by the ice man. My great-grandfather was an iceman in Brooklyn in the early 1900's, my mom has a picture of him with his horse-drawn ice carriage. "Getta you ice here! Getta you ice!"

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Makes me wish we could go back to ice boxes and getting ice delivered by the ice man. My great-grandfather was an iceman in Brooklyn in the early 1900's, my mom has a picture of him with his horse-drawn ice carriage. "Getta you ice here! Getta you ice!"

Here's an interesting thing... last night I accidentally left the garage fridge door slightly ajar again. I just walked out and heard a loud noise, and it turned out that the freezer is all frosted up because of leaving the door open, in the high humidity here. I occasionally do leave that door slightly open but I usually catch it. Funny that I didn't last night as we were discussing this.

Anyway, the fresh section was up to 60 degrees, and the freezer was up to 30. I only have cold drinks in the fresh section so I just took all of the food out of the freezer and put it in my inside freezer, opened up the back, and I'll just let it thaw out.

As you can see there's ice on the fan, so it was out of balance, making noise, and not blowing properly, and the ice on the coils reduces its ability to cool down.

The last time this happened it was frosted up much more than this.

20210818_100449.jpg

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's

The ice men couldn't ply their trade today with low-cost DNA testing.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Well I unplugged the fridge for around twelve hours, vacuumed out whatever dust I could get at behind the back panel, plugged it back in and an hour later the fridge is 55 and the freezer is 48. Like they say in Germany, meine kühlschrank ist gestoppen! Hopefully Home Depot comes through and a new one arrives next week.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Well I unplugged the fridge for around twelve hours, vacuumed out whatever dust I could get at behind the back panel, plugged it back in and an hour later the fridge is 55 and the freezer is 48. Like they say in Germany, meine kühlschrank ist gestoppen! Hopefully Home Depot comes through and a new one arrives next week.

Does it sound like it's working? After I let mine thaw I plugged it in and it took about an hour and a half to start getting down to temp. It still isn't fully there, but I can tell it's working fine. But you may have just had a refrigerant leak, or the compressor took a dump.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Does it sound like it's working? After I let mine thaw I plugged it in and it took about an hour and a half to start getting down to temp. It still isn't fully there, but I can tell it's working fine. But you may have just had a refrigerant leak, or the compressor took a dump.

It's running but the fridge is warm and the freezer is cold. Rebooting and vacuuming didn't help.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
It's running but the fridge is warm and the freezer is cold. Rebooting and vacuuming didn't help.

Is the freezer actually getting down to zero? Can you hear the evaporator fan running? If the freezer is freezing, that means the cold air is just not getting into the fridge part.

David C

Tele-Holic
Ugh, appliances today. Good luck at getting anything to last more than ten years. We built a new home in 2010. The only original appliance is the built in double oven. We are on our 4th microwave, second cooktop, second fridge. The fridge was a Samsung and it died.
I deal with a smaller local appliance store. I used to buy these things at Sears where they would come out and provide installation. But Sears is gone locally, and I now buy from a nice store that has stuff on the ground, and people who deliver it. Some things are not big box store purchases.

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
In ‘20 our old refrigerator started acting up, and the only thing I could find was a Cafe brand (GE upscale, but not their “premium” brand). I was lucky, it was available and I like it a LOT.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Is the freezer actually getting down to zero? Can you hear the evaporator fan running? If the freezer is freezing, that means the cold air is just not getting into the fridge part.

The freezer goes below zero but then goes above 32, back and forth. The fridge part stays around 45-55, never gets cold. Not sure if the evaporator fan is running or not, the fridge sounds like its running normally except for the occasional banging noises.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
The freezer goes below zero but then goes above 32, back and forth. The fridge part stays around 45-55, never gets cold. Not sure if the evaporator fan is running or not, the fridge sounds like its running normally except for the occasional banging noises.

Evaporator fan is a really smooth sound, if you have banging noises it could be loose or broken, or it could be your compressor mounts or condenser fan. If you could open up the back of your freezer like I did on mine, and take a look, you might be able to see if it's the evaporator fan. But maybe just time to write it off. By the time you get a tech to come out with parts you're going to be throwing hundreds of dollars at it. If it's the condenser fan on the back of the unit, forget it.

https://www.hunker.com/13409703/banging-noise-in-a-refrigerator

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Evaporator fan is a really smooth sound, if you have banging noises it could be loose or broken, or it could be your compressor mounts or condenser fan. If you could open up the back of your freezer like I did on mine, and take a look, you might be able to see if it's the evaporator fan. But maybe just time to write it off. By the time you get a tech to come out with parts you're going to be throwing hundreds of dollars at it. If it's the condenser fan on the back of the unit, forget it.

https://www.hunker.com/13409703/banging-noise-in-a-refrigerator

I think it's time to write it off, it's a cheap Whirlpool refrigerator around 20 years old and would probably cost almost as much to repair as the new GE fridge costs that I ordered from Home Depot. And good luck finding a repairman lately, I dropped off my chainsaw in early June to be repaired and am still waiting. When my Subaru was getting repaired yesterday I was talking to the guy that runs the counter, he says they can't find mechanics. All kinds of work out there but no workers. I'm very tempted to go back to school and learn a trade.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire

When I moved into my last house in 1988, there was a commercial GE washer and dryer for the tenants that ran on quarters, $1 a wash, $1 for 30 minutes of dryer. In 2019 the washing machine finally died after probably thousands of loads by tenants over the years, as far as I know the dryer is still going strong. When the delivery guys came to install the new washer and remove the old one they couldn't believe how heavy the old GE washer was. So I agree, the old machines were built to last.