Refrigerator woes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Aug 17, 2021.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I'll have to see if my local liquor store carries it.

drf64 likes this.
  2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I know about the linear compressor. It's caused enough trouble that they'll fix it if anything foes wrong.

getbent likes this.
  3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the back is sealed up then the coils are underneath, and you access them by removing a small grill below the fridge door. The loud banging noises could be the fan in the freezer hitting ice that has formed on the coils. When it's really humid, sometimes the defrost function can't keep up and ice will form on those coils. Or the defroster may have gone out.

4. tap4154

The problem is getting a service guy out there, and getting the parts. There's not many people that will work on those LG's, and the problem has it been so bad there's a class action lawsuit. My neighbor had a $3,500 LG that was only a year-and-a-half old. it died, they couldn't get it fixed, and he finally just dumped it and bought a Whirlpool.

5. HotRodSteve

I've noticed water dripping from the freezer into the fridge area so maybe there's ice clogging up the works. I'll unplug it in the morning and open the doors for a few hours.

6. tap4154

Do you see any way to remove a back panel in the freezer section? Sometimes just a couple screws, but if you want to just let it set and see if it melts, that might work. Put some towels in the fridge portion and on the floor.

If it really is frosted up it's going to take more than a few hours to melt. In fact that happened to my old GE fridge in the garage a few years ago I took the internal back panel off and put a blow dryer in there and melted all the ice. In fact the fan was hitting the ice. As it grew on the coils it finally started hitting.

The more I think about it, my foggy memory is coming back, and the reason that happened was I took off one day and accidentally left the fridge door open a little bit.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Milspec likes this.
  7. HotRodSteve

I'll give it a try tomorrow, nothing to lose and might save $600. I'd try it tonight but have three trays of ice cubes trying to freeze. Freezer temp is 5F now.

8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The defrost is nothing more than a bulb, replacement kits run about $35. I've replaced a few of them, really simple task.

HotRodSteve likes this.
  9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

My condo came with a white dishwasher, microwave/range hood combo and basic gas stove all like-new without a scratch, The oven was never even used and still had stickers inside. I added a new double door refrig w. water & icemaker and hated them from day 1.

3 years later the oven and dishwasher were still unused and I decided to upgrade to stainless because I couldn't take the white look anymore. I put an ad on Craigslist with pics asking $300 for everything and not one person called except some gal who wanted the microwave for $25 and wanted me to remove it for her. I told her it wasn't worth my bother for $25.

I had the new stainless appliances installed and the old ones hauled away. I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to get rid of appliances.

10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I have a relative who ran a second hand shop for a while after he retired. He told me that if he had a tractor trailer full of refrigerators he'd sell every damn one of them. This was before the pandemic.

11. tap4154

The guy I was referring to primarily sells to landlords. Slightly refurbished used appliances, or the bottom end new appliances.

12. tap4154

There's really no market for used built-in appliances. I've installed them for over 30 years, but my kitchen has white appliances. I absolutely loathe stainless steel

Very often I've taken out old appliances that are in great shape. In fact the dishwasher I have in my kitchen right now is a $1,200 KitchenAid that someone had for a year, then they wanted stainless steel. I have a fairly expensive GE range hood, that was the same thing. They wanted a stainless steel hood. So I took the old one out and put it in my place. My white garage fridge is an old well-built GE. The guy was replacing his old appliances with, guess what? Stainless steel. I brought it home 10 years ago and it's still working perfectly. But for the most part I just take the old ones and dump them at the store that sold them, or a metal recycler.

However I did buy one used built-in electric oven. I have an odd size opening in my kitchen cabinets, and several years ago they stopped making the only oven that fits the opening. While I'm fully capable of doing cabinet modifications, I didn't want to do them in this kitchen. Plus the only other oven I could have installed (because of the narrow width of the cabinet) was $2,000, and I would have had to do some major work on the drawer below. And frankly, that oven Is a POS. They only still sell it because it'll fit narrow openings.

So I searched Craigslist and OfferUp, and found that smaller discontinued oven (in white) that was almost brand-new. Originally it was $1,400... I bought it for $150 and installed it, and it works great. The story behind it, and a couple other appliances the sellers had, is that the person replaced them with stainless steel. Stainless steel, which shows fingerprints, any flaw that's in the steel, and is a pain in the butt to take care of.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Milspec likes this.
  13. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Afflicted

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Sorry to hear, man, we’ve had great luck with our appliances… we moved here 20 years ago, we bought a washer/dryer, they left their fridge, which was still working, same with the electric oven… replaced the fridge a couple years back because my wife wanted a side by side (stainless, of course) and replaced the stove a couple years back (she wanted stainless again) … the dishwasher came with the house, we were having new flooring installed and decided to get a new dishwasher, although the old one still worked, was just noisy. Our backup fridge in the garage came down from MI with us, probably 30 yr old Kitchenaid, still runs great, just noisy but it was noisy the same all those years… it’s served us well…. Only appliances I’d say that haven’t lasted well for us are coffeemakers and microwaves….have been impressed with the performance of the necessities - fridges, oven, washer and dryer. As long as we can afford the electric bills, all is well

14. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Seriously. Check out the movie Minimalism on Netflix.

15. Telecasterless

For your money, what kind of gas range would you go with today in 36"?

We have an older Peerless Premier and I must say, that thing has been a work horse. Every appliance that was in the home when we bought 14 years ago is gone except for that range. It may not be the sexiest appliance, but it has never failed me. The only thing I've had to replace is the door hinges a few times over 14 years as they get very squeaky. At this point, I would just keep it but my wife is starting to think about replacing things and I don't know what range to replace it with. Even the tech guy at Peerless says the newer ones are nothing like the older ones. I hate unreliable appliances, so if we do in fact swap it out, what would you recommend today?

16. tap4154

I don't deal in freestanding appliances. Mainly just the built-in items. In fact I've never even heard of Peerless ranges. Nothing against them, it's just not an item I deal with. The large free-standing ranges are handled by a whole different kind of crew.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Telecasterless likes this.
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

This. Most everything was drop ship or a version of just in time before the 'vid. Now it's more-so... but with limited flow in the pipeline.

As for durability, it's dead. They design for ten year life now.

18. Telecasterless

I wasn't even aware that free-standing was different from built in. Interesting. I assumed that built-in appliances were "free standing" and then you built cabinets around them. I didn't know that folks had built in refrigerators. I'm guessing these are really high-end homes?

I've seen some nice homes where there is a Wolf or Viking range, but although they fit snugly in their space, are those also considered free-standing? I don't know the difference.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Refrigerators. Evil, expensive pieces of poo. You buy a new one, and they only last 5 to 10 years. They are right up there with printers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.