Refrigerator woes

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My old refrigerator came with the house I bought last year and it was starting to make these loud banging noises, it was disconcerting at first, I thought there was a monster in the kitchen. The damn thing started coughing up blood a week ago, the fridge section stayed around 55F and the freezer goes from -10F to 55F depending on its mood and what the monster is plotting for the night.

I went to Home Depot last week and bought a new GE fridge but the scheduled delivery date is August 28, which could change they say, probably not for the better I would guess. Anyway, I'm living on cheese, crackers, bananas and Jim Beam for the next week and am using my Coleman cooler to keep the cheese from spoiling. Just sharing my woes, thanks for listening and give your fridge a kiss and thank it for working hard 24 hours a day.

I've been shopping, too. The same issue that is hitting the auto market hits the appliance market - - the microchip shortage. When I look at Lowes here, half the models are not available. If you're in desperate shape, check out the used market. Resale on used refrigerators tends to be pretty low.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been shopping, too. The same issue that is hitting the auto market hits the appliance market - - the microchip shortage. When I look at Lowes here, half the models are not available. If you're in desperate shape, check out the used market. Resale on used refrigerators tends to be pretty low.

Good luck finding a used one. I know a guy with a used appliance shop, and he doesn't have any more. When the "stuff" hit he sold out all his freezers, then he ordered a whole bunch of cheap new freezers, and couldn't sell them fast enough. People wanted to stock up on food.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
WARNING: Buy a 1 or two year service agreement. new fridges are terrible. My Maytag was defective and fixed 3 times in the first two years. It's the only NEW fridge I've ever bought in my life!
It's the PCB's in them (just like PCB amps!)
After the service guy put a new board in it's been fine since. In other words: You pay for their defective engineering.

I don't get all the hubub about "the auto market". New car dealers have tons of stock , at least if you look when you pass those places. I recently drove 2500 miles WA, OR and CA on a family vacation. Every new car dealer I passed was full of cars. I suppose that's because they raised prices to where only the most needy buy...?
Used cars may be something different....

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
WARNING: Buy a 1 or two year service agreement. new fridges are terrible. My Maytag was defective and fixed 3 times in the first two years. It's the only NEW fridge I've ever bought in my life!
After the service guy put a new board in it's been fine since. In other words: You pay for their defective engineering.

I don't get all the hubub about "the auto market". New car dealers have tons of stock , at least if you look when you pass those places. I recently drove 2500 miles WA, OR and CA on a family vacation. Every new car dealer I passed was full of cars. I suppose that's because they raised prices to where only the most needy buy...?

Too bad they don't make a 1959 Admiral or Amana Reissue. Those things are still cranking away.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
My old refrigerator came with the house I bought last year and it was starting to make these loud banging noises, it was disconcerting at first, I thought there was a monster in the kitchen. The damn thing started coughing up blood a week ago, the fridge section stayed around 55F and the freezer goes from -10F to 55F depending on its mood and what the monster is plotting for the night.

I went to Home Depot last week and bought a new GE fridge but the scheduled delivery date is August 28, which could change they say, probably not for the better I would guess. Anyway, I'm living on cheese, crackers, bananas and Jim Beam for the next week and am using my Coleman cooler to keep the cheese from spoiling. Just sharing my woes, thanks for listening and give your fridge a kiss and thank it for working hard 24 hours a day.

Our fridge gave out on June 14th. I order a Samsung from Home Depot. One of the reasons I chose it was because it had the quickest delivery date. It got pushed back, then pushed back again, until finally they said it wasn't coming until August 3rd. So I went to Best Buy and bought an LG on Saturday and it was delivered the next Thursday. We were without a fridge for almost a month, eating out of camping coolers and a mini fridge we bought. At times, it was almost fun. Almost.

I canceled the order from Home Depot and received a refund. Nonetheless, when August 3rd I received a call from the delivery people to give me the delivery window for my new fridge. I said, "As much as I'd love a free refrigerator..."

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Our fridge gave out on June 14th. I order a Samsung from Home Depot. One of the reasons I chose it was because it had the quickest delivery date. It got pushed back, then pushed back again, until finally they said it wasn't coming until August 3rd. So I went to Best Buy and bought an LG on Saturday and it was delivered the next Thursday. We were without a fridge for almost a month, eating out of camping coolers and a mini fridge we bought. At times, it was almost fun. Almost.

I canceled the order from Home Depot and received a refund. Nonetheless, when August 3rd I received a call from the delivery people to give me the delivery window for my new fridge. I said, "As much as I'd love a free refrigerator..."

If you got an LG with the linear compressor, I would get an extra fridge to put in the garage to put your food when your LG breaks down. Just my practical advice to you.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's

Full of cars??? Every dealership around here is severely lacking in new vehicles. The Toyota one looks deserted. One of the local Ford salesmen has stated that every F-150 pickup truck that rolls off the assembly line has a buyer. Getting them to the customer is another story... :rolleyes:

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Not cool, man. Not cool. I mean, sometimes it's cool but not cool enough. Not cool enough.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Not cool, man. Not cool. I mean, sometimes it's cool but not cool enough. Not cool enough.

Right now the freezer is at 5F and the fridge is at 55F like it's been for the last week, definitely uncool as Neil in the Young Ones would say.

I'm trying to make ice cubes in the freezer for the Coleman cooler and my Jim Beam. The last time I googled it water starts to freeze under 32F so I should have cubes soon.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Full of cars??? Every dealership around here is severely lacking in new vehicles. The Toyota one looks deserted. One of the local Ford salesmen has stated that every F-150 pickup truck that rolls off the assembly line has a buyer. Getting them to the customer is another story... :rolleyes:
Interesting... I wonder if it's more a West Coast thing or what...? Of course a 2500 mile drive by is just a sample... A lot of it was off the beaten track more than the city...

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fridges are not built like they used to be. They used to be a 25-30 year purchase, but the insurance estimates them at 7-8 years today.

My kitchen fridge has been replaced twice in the past 12 years due to failures while the fridge that is in my garage is the same one that I had as a Sophmore in college....all the way back to 1988 and still running flawlessly.

If I was you, I would start looking for an old fridge for sale. At worst, you might replace the compressor and have a backup unit for the next 20 years. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as modern units do, but they will stay cold a lot longer.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Right now the freezer is at 5F and the fridge is at 55F like it's been for the last week, definitely uncool as Neil in the Young Ones would say.

I'm trying to make ice cubes in the freezer for the Coleman cooler and my Jim Beam. The last time I googled it water starts to freeze under 32F so I should have cubes soon.

That is interesting as the fridge portion is actually cooled by the freezer portion. Sounds like a lack of air movement to blame. Check to see if the fan is moving air from the freezer or not.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
That is interesting as the fridge portion is actually cooled by the freezer portion. Sounds like a lack of air movement to blame. Check to see if the fan is moving air from the freezer or not.

I should try unplugging it for a few hours to see if ice is clogging up the works or something. Worth a try. It's a cheap simple fridge, probably cost $300 new. The new GE I ordered is $600. If unplugging it fixes the problem I'll cancel the Home Depot order. When it's unplugged I'll open up the back and see what's what.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I should try unplugging it for a few hours to see if ice is clogging up the works or something. Worth a try. It's a cheap simple fridge, probably cost $300 new. The new GE I ordered is $600. If unplugging it fixes the problem I'll cancel the Home Depot order. When it's unplugged I'll open up the back and see what's what.

Does it have coils underneath or on the back of the fridge? If underneath, they may be all clogged up with dust. You can get in there with the Shop-Vac or if you have one of those long brushes and clean them out. You very well could have a bunch of ice behind the wall in the freezer compartment as well, if that's removable.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
the horror! Jim Beam? Definitely a food pairing for Monkey Shoulder.

Never heard of Monkey Shoulder. Any good?

vatted_mon1.jpg

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
Does it have coils underneath or on the back of the fridge? If underneath, they may be all clogged up with dust. You can get in there with the Shop-Vac or if you have one of those long brushes and clean them out. You very well could have a bunch of ice behind the wall in the freezer compartment as well, if that's removable.

The back has a metal cover, when I unplug it tomorrow I'll check if it's clogged up with dust inside or underneath.The loud banging noises tells me it's something more serious, unless ice is clogging up the works?