Refrigerator woes

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
My old refrigerator came with the house I bought last year and it was starting to make these loud banging noises, it was disconcerting at first, I thought there was a monster in the kitchen. The damn thing started coughing up blood a week ago, the fridge section stayed around 55F and the freezer goes from -10F to 55F depending on its mood and what the monster is plotting for the night.

I went to Home Depot last week and bought a new GE fridge but the scheduled delivery date is August 28, which could change they say, probably not for the better I would guess. Anyway, I'm living on cheese, crackers, bananas and Jim Beam for the next week and am using my Coleman cooler to keep the cheese from spoiling. Just sharing my woes, thanks for listening and give your fridge a kiss and thank it for working hard 24 hours a day.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My old refrigerator came with the house I bought last year and it was starting to make these loud banging noises, it was disconcerting at first, I thought there was a monster in the kitchen. The damn thing started coughing up blood a week ago, the fridge section stayed around 55F and the freezer goes from -10F to 55F depending on its mood and what the monster is plotting for the night.

I went to Home Depot last week and bought a new GE fridge but the scheduled delivery date is August 28, which could change they say, probably not for the better I would guess. Anyway, I'm living on cheese, crackers, bananas and Jim Beam for the next week and am using my Coleman cooler to keep the cheese from spoiling. Just sharing my woes, thanks for listening and give your fridge a kiss and thank it for working hard 24 hours a day.
Now is a good time to buy a refrigerator because half the shelves at the grocery stores are empty lately.
Hoping the warehouse that has your appliance has enough working employees to ship it to on time.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
As crazy as it sounds, most big box stores have no stock besides displays. You have to order and wait. When you get you new one, temper your expectations to 10 years of service from a major appliance, at best, nowadays.

Last edited:

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Went through the same thing last year. We were without for two and a half months. In the meantime we bought a small counter top fridge, just to see us through.

Last edited:

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

Try cleaning your coil underneath and/or check your internal fan. Both are common and easy fixes. If you work on guitars you'll be able to do this

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Sounds like your old fridge was the same kind Sigourney Weaver had in her apartment in "Ghost Busters II." Did the name "Zool" come up?

We always buy GE appliances because for the most part they're US made. We've had good luck with their refrigerators. One we gave to my wife's sister when we upgraded over 10 years ago is still running strong.

Sears has an outlet store in our town where they have overstocks, scratch n dents, discontinued models, etc. We bought our last washer and dryer from there and they've done great so far. And since they were sitting in crates in the back ready to go, they got 'em here in a couple days. You might see if your town has something like that.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Totally feeling your pain, I went through the same ugly surprise a few months ago.

My condolences!

Replacing the fridge has been known to cause the replacement of other appliances too, fwiw.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

I had to buy a fridge a few years ago for my daughter, found a nice, recent Maytag (sellers had upgraded to one of those massive water, ice, and Merlot through the door models) for a good price on CraigsList. My current one is about twenty-five years old, and that's pushing life-expectancy these days. ;)

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
We always buy GE appliances because for the most part they're US made.
Still made in Louisville KY at the Appliance Park I assume. If you find one from 1970 it might have my blood, sweat & tears in it.

Come to think of it I used to hear "Lucretia MacEvil" driving to work on the Watterson...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Still made in Louisville KY at the Appliance Park I assume. If you find one from 1970 it might have my blood, sweat & tears in it.

Come to think of it I used to hear "Lucretia MacEvil" driving to work on the Watterson...
Still made in Kentucky, but company now owned by Haier, a Chinese multi-national.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Still made in Kentucky, but company now owned by Haier, a Chinese multi-national.
So that explains it. I just looked up GE Appliance Park on Google and nearly all the reviews concerning purchases were 1-star with horrible stories of breakdowns & customer non-service (rest of this post self-censored to avoid moderator apoplexy)

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Don't be surprised if that August 28th date gets moved back, several times. I work in major appliances, and they are having huge problems getting them. A lot of it is getting chips for them. I've been installing some built-in ovens and microwaves that were ordered 6 months ago. If you find one on display that works, you might want to buy that. But stick to GE Whirlpool or KitchenAid.

Many of them are offshore here bobbing around on cargo ships. We're all stacked up on container ships trying to get into the Port of Los Angeles. They're having problems offloading them because dock workers are sick, they can't get trucks in there, on and on.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's

My uncle spent virtually his entire working career at GEs AP. Good products made with union labor. I have a microwave that was built there yrs ago. Still works great.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity

My garage fridge is a TBX25. Not sure how old it is but it just keeps going. I think it's at least 25 years old. Those older ones had good compressors, the newer ones are junk.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Totally feeling your pain, I went through the same ugly surprise a few months ago.

My condolences!

Replacing the fridge has been known to cause the replacement of other appliances too, fwiw.

That's how it works. You replace one and all the others look lousy, so you end up buying the whole kitchen. They kept introducing different colors, so people would redo their whole kitchens in the new color, then they introduce another color. But now virtually everyone gets stainless steel, which I can't stand. Then of course they also introduced black stainless steel, so if you get one of those then you've got to replace all of them with black stainless steel. By the way black stainless steel is just stainless steel with a dark translucent lacquer, and it chips very easily.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
So that explains it. I just looked up GE Appliance Park on Google and nearly all the reviews concerning purchases were 1-star with horrible stories of breakdowns & customer non-service (rest of this post self-censored to avoid moderator apoplexy)

I bought a GE refrigerator for my mom a few years ago and the compressor locked up within the first 24 hours. The dealer replaced it with free delivery. It only lasted a couple of years. Stuff happens.