REFRET-PHOBIA

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tunerfish, Mar 14, 2013.

1. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

My '68 tele has that cutting, biting attack that I so love. But the frets are so low now that a few spots are noticeably duller. Joe Glazer told me it needed a refret last year, but I wasn't ready and he was kind enough to personally leveled and dressed the frets for me.
    Since Joe doesn't perform the refretting at his shop, I wanted to ask your all's opinion on the best luthier in Tennessee to refret my maple neck '68. I'm not concerned about the price, I just want the best job.
    Thanks

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Call Gruhn Guitars (615)256-2033

Don't know where you are located, besides Tenn., but they might be able to steer you to someone. If they do referals?

You might PM Bill Hullett, he's a member here and I believe lives around Nashville. He would know.

3. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Glaser re-fretted my 67 Tele last year. Of course he re-frets guitars.

4. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Take it to Joe and let him have his way with it...You'll be rapt. Just don't stray away from something that has the same dimensions for the Tang (the part that goes into the slot) Don't install the 6105's or any of those too tall Frets. Get something that is maybe SLIGHTLY Higher and Wider than the original Vintage stuff, say the Stew Mac #152, which is slightly bigger, hard to tell when you just look at it, but a dream to play! It goes without saying that if it is a Maple Cap neck that you doun't want to lose that lacquer finish in the process, you need it to look as though it hasn't been done, which is exactly what Joe will do for you....Select that wire carefully! In fact let Joe do that for you. If this is a playing guitar, you'll be wondering why you didn't do this earlier!

trusin likes this.
  5. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Thanks T-Oz. Your advise helps a lot. It is a maple cap and the finish is crackled but intact throughout the board. I have this Tokai fake to play out since these paisley's are so stupid expensive. The Tokai is a great guitar but the '68 cuts through in the studio with certain frequencies that are... like part of its personality. That's why even with the dead spots, I'm reluctant to change it by getting new frets.
    What do you think about how refretting can change tone?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Great looking Paisley, I know those guitars well. Personally, I think a good refret and Plek improves the tone. I agree with Terry, get the same tang size. And Joe knows how to do it right.

7. Rusty

Rusty Tele-Holic

i asked the same question pretty much about my '69 back on the OLD tdpri (2001?) and Bill Hullett talked some sense into me...explained a refret as basically new tires for a classic car...he also said joe glaser and/or floyd cassista would do it RIGHT.

no way you could go wrong with those guys. and like the other posters said, joe still does some fret jobs...he plek'd my old goldtop a few years ago...and he has tons of different fretwire sizes to suggest!

8. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Git her done!

I don't necessarily agree with some of the points here about the values of a guitar with original Frets that render a guitar less fun to play than the same guitar with new frets, but nonetheless, if a guitar is to be played and enjoyed (as they should be) then there comes a time when basically you have no choice.
    Now, if you have a virtually "undetectable" job done (and you can), with Fretwire that is appropriate, then you might suffer a very slight financial devaluation in value, but pick up more in playing enjoyment and therefore come out way in front.
    I sold a beautiful and 100% original early 1958 Esquire once, the Frets were pretty good and it was quite playable. At that point in Fenders history, some of the Nitro they shot on the necks was quite "Creamy" looking, without that Amber colour you saw in previous and later years. The buyer immediately took it to a well known repairer here in Adelaide, had him put in Jumbo Frets for "playability", Neck Stripped, with a very orange looking Acrylic finish applied. I nearly puked when I saw it and was very pissed off with the repairer for agreeing to do it...Pretty much ruined a great guitar!
    You should have your Tele with Joe by now anyway!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Gittin her done

Took the 68 Paisley to Glaser's and left it for a refret (auto-correct always throws in regret for refret :twisted:). Joe spent an hour going over last year's PLEK scan, showing me the fret options and going over the procedure to do the job. Two weeks estimated time. Going with vintage size frets - meanwhile I'll dive into turfbilly music with my Jag and flat wound .12s. Cow a bonga!

10. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Way to go. After all, the Tele is a musical instrument, and should be playable...

11. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

did you ask him to snap a few pics during the refretting?
    curious to see just how the old finish behaves.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My ol' #1 has been re-fretted 5 times in the 30 years I've been playing it.
    It's a great joy to have your guitar sing in a clear, strong voice again.
    I'm sure Nashville, being the original "Guitar Town", has LOTS of competent
    techs/luthiers.

13. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

I did not. But I'll know when I see it. The lacquer is fairly well preserved with some crazing.

14. Teleman57

Teleman57 TDPRI Member

Pleeeeeeez post an update when you get her back?

I'm anxious to know how you like the result as I'm contemplating a similar move!
    Thanks!!

15. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I need a refret on two of my vintage guitars, sadly I'm in he middle of nowhere and would have to ship them to have a refret done, so I'll probably put it off for another year and do it myself...

16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I had my '71 refretted and he left the original finish intact. If it needs it, definitely get it refretted.

17. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Joe's man Nick did a PERFECT refret. Absolutely undisturbed neck finish and amazing fret end finish work. I am totally impressed with his skills. I highly recommend Glaser Instruments. Refret, PLEK, nut and set-up work cost nearly $400. Worth every cent (except for the 9.5% Tn sales tax.)
    Thanks for all your replies.

18. Rusty

Rusty Tele-Holic

awesome, man! glad you got her done and back...enjoy!

19. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Job done! You'll have noticed the difference it has made by now and will enjoy using it a whole lot more. Good decision.

20. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

Good info to know! I may need to send my 68 to him. It's playable but nothing plays better than fresh frets done by a true pro

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.