Refinishing father and son project - Question about grain filler

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bluedaffy, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bluedaffy

bluedaffy TDPRI Member

My dad and I built a Tele back when I was in high school and I've never been happy with the way I had originally finished it. If I remember correctly, I think that I was just so excited that it was constructed that I slapped on a few coats of whatever and called it good. The years went by and because I thought the guitar sounded so nice I kept putting off refinishing it because I knew I'd have to sacrifice a lot of time where the guitar was unable to be played. So now, 13 years later I've decided to refinish it the way I had always 'intended' to. Here's where I'm at:

I've sanded the body down to bare wood, but the deep crevices of the grain still hold whatever it was that I used as a grain filler. I can't remember for the life of me what I used, but I know I used some kind of filler because when comparing the sanded surface wood to the untouched wood in the cavities it is obvious that I used something. The grain on the surface wood is very dark unlike the grain in the cavities, while the non-grain portions of the surface and cavities match (indicating I'm down to the bare wood except for the crevaces).

My question for you all is this: If I am once again planning to use a dark (dark brown or black) grain filler this time around, must I keep sanding away until ALL of the previous filler is removed? Besides the effort involved, I would rather not remove that much material. However, if applying grain filler on top of the old grain filler might pose a problem, I'll do it.

In case this detail matters, I will ultimately be applying a clear nitro finish (no tints, colors, etc.)

Thanks very much!

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You're referring to what's left in the pores, correct?

No need to go that far sanding me thinks. Your new color will alter it enough, not completely though. I'd get most of the bare wood sanded back/exposed and grain fill again, maybe twice & level.

Let's see some pics. :)

bluedaffy likes this.
  3. bluedaffy

bluedaffy TDPRI Member

Yes, exactly. What's left in the pores.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get some pics taken soon!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.