Refinish project.

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
Well joining this site has given me the motivation to do this project. Gotta have something telecaster related. I had put this one together awhile back and while I love orange it is just to bright for me. Been having fun doing nitro lacquer finishes so I think I will sand it back and maybe try a dirty brownish orange. The ash is real pretty so I wanna keep the grain popping. We will see how it goes. Maybe I'll put some clear on the neck too to make the flame pop. The burnish turned out pretty good though.
20220816_092833.jpg

Attachments

• 20220816_092812.jpg
    20220816_092812.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 27

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah.... that's just a bit too much orange in the color for me too. Do you know if the finish is nitro or poly? If poly you'll likely have a heck of a time getting that stuff off. I did it once and it was a real pain to remove.

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
Yeah.... that's just a bit too much orange in the color for me too. Do you know if the finish is nitro or poly? If poly you'll likely have a heck of a time getting that stuff off. I did it once and it was a real pain to remove.
It is poly. It is why I have been procrastinating. It is a real bugger.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
It is poly. It is why I have been procrastinating. It is a real bugger.

Yep... it sure is. I tried all sorts of methods when I did it and what I found worked best was a combination of things. I used a chemical paint stripper to help weaken it, which it does but you have to let it sit on there for days, and then I scraped what I could off and repeated with the stripper. Once I got it down to more or less "wood", I used my belt sander to take it the rest of the way. This was tricky because I didn't want to leave any divets, so I had to be careful. Between all this and strait old elbow grease, I was finally able to get the stuff off and was left with nothing but wood. Man... it was a real chore though, as you know ;) Good luck on the project and welcome man!!!

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Well joining this site has given me the motivation to do this project. Gotta have something telecaster related. I had put this one together awhile back and while I love orange it is just to bright for me. Been having fun doing nitro lacquer finishes so I think I will sand it back and maybe try a dirty brownish orange. The ash is real pretty so I wanna keep the grain popping. We will see how it goes. Maybe I'll put some clear on the neck too to make the flame pop. The burnish turned out pretty good though.
View attachment 1017652
Too bad you don't like it. I think it looks great.
What do you think of a transparent red? I just recently saw a G&L asat special in the red and it looked amazing.
I love natural grain ash guitars and I have a couple. I'll post pics to give you an idea of what natural and bsb tele's look like.

Have fun!

20220331_122929.jpg
20220130_104847.jpg

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I took poly off my MIM Jaguar using a heat gun, though it did mark the wood in places so you'd have to be really careful as you plan to do a see through finish on yours. I did mine Candy Apple red so it didn't matter, but it took me about an hour to strip the poly off the Jaguar. This was part way through and you can see the burnt area on the lower side of the back:

Stripped body (1).jpg

A little bit on the front too, which might have sanded back if I'd been bothered/doing a transparent finish:

Stripped body (4).jpg

As said didn't matter for what I had planned, but just to warn you to take extra care if you go the heat gun route. Turned out OK in the end:

CAR & Marshall 3.jpg

sandfish1970

TDPRI Member
saw a vid about stripping poly off guitars and the dude said a heat gun/sandpaper was the only way to get it off properly. lovely finish on the jag by the way

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
Lots of good ideas. Got the top done. Just went with a sanding block, 150 grit and time. Natural is in the running. I have a speaker cab to spray. I'll test it, ill spray some test peieces and try what I decided on with the speaker cab first. I have transparent cherry and vintage amber. Was gonna try and combine em for a dirty orange.

20220819_150824.jpg

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Lots of good ideas. Got the top done. Just went with a sanding block, 150 grit and time. Natural is in the running. I have a speaker cab to spray. I'll test it, ill spray some test peieces and try what I decided on with the speaker cab first. I have transparent cherry and vintage amber. Was gonna try and combine em for a dirty orange.

View attachment 1018886
Just finished a Strat with a Warmoth swamp ash body refinish so I can relate to this. Personally, I liked that orange color, I have one similar, but the color is called "Honey" a little bit different.
Fiesta Sea.jpeg
Honey.jpeg

Last edited:

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
Just finished a Strat with a Warmoth swamp ash body refinish so I can relate to this. Personally, I liked that orange color, I have one similar, but the color is called "Honey" a little bit different. View attachment 1020508 View attachment 1020509
Man real nice job on that start! I'm shooting for a similar color of your tele. Maybe a little more orange. Finish a string of work days today and will get back at it this week.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Man real nice job on that start! I'm shooting for a similar color of your tele. Maybe a little more orange. Finish a string of work days today and will get back at it this week.
Thanks for that compliment. The Strat finish came by accident. It was one of those bodies where just everything went wrong from the beginning. It started out a beautiful center joined Warmoth Swamp Ash body which I originally sprayed clear. Although the finish came out nice, I wasn't happy with it (bored) so I decided to shoot it with Reranch Surf Green. At the time, it had an all-maple neck so it just looked blah boring. I then mounted a rosewood 62 reissue neck on it and then decided I wanted it Fiesta Red. I later obtained another Fiesta Red AV62, so I decided I wanted to paint this one black. The black came out nice, but the paint I used did not fully catalyze and didn't fully harden. I later bought a can of black nitro and was planning to repaint it with that. However, I had to completely remove that old defective black paint first which I did. After a day of sanding with a scotchbrite, 225 and 400 grit sandpaper and naphtha, it sanded out really nice and smooth. However, I had to go down into other layers of paint including the shellac undercoat in a few places to get all that black out. After that, I decided that I was not going to repaint it black after all and stopped where I was. I just put the guitar back together the way it was and that is the end result. All by divine intervention. I thought if I later changed my mind to a different color, I could repaint it with minimal work. I don't think I am going to.

With orange tint, you have to be careful. The honey color I used is more in line with burst colors. Reranch made an orange which I used on a couple other guitars, but it is "really" orange. I tend to like orange a little more washed out and tinted looking. However, everyone has their different tastes, so just check out a few before pulling the trigger on an orange color paint.

Here is an example of the Reranch orange that I used:
Recyled Tele project.JPG

Last edited:

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
Thanks for that compliment. The Strat finish came by accident. It was one of those bodies where just everything went wrong from the beginning. It started out a beautiful center joined Warmoth Swamp Ash body which I originally sprayed clear. Although the finish came out nice, I wasn't happy with it (bored) so I decided to shoot it with Reranch Surf Green. At the time, it had an all-maple neck so it just looked blah boring. I then mounted a rosewood 62 reissue neck on it and then decided I wanted it Fiesta Red. I later obtained another Fiesta Red AV62, so I decided I wanted to paint this one black. The black came out nice, but the paint I used did not fully catalyze and didn't fully harden. I later bought a can of black nitro and was planning to repaint it with that. However, I had to completely remove that old defective black paint first which I did. After a day of sanding with a scotchbrite, 225 and 400 grit sandpaper and naphtha, it sanded out really nice and smooth. However, I had to go down into other layers of paint including the shellac undercoat in a few places to get all that black out. After that, I decided that I was not going to repaint it black after all and stopped where I was. I just put the guitar back together the way it was and that is the end result. All by divine intervention. I thought if I later changed my mind to a different color, I could repaint it with minimal work. I don't think I am going to.

With orange tint, you have to be careful. The honey color I used is more in line with burst colors. Reranch made an orange which I used on a couple other guitars, but it is "really" orange. I tend to like orange a little more washed out and tinted looking. However, everyone has their different tastes, so just check out a few before pulling the trigger on an orange color paint.

Here is an example of the Reranch orange that I used: View attachment 1022439

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
My first refinish I tried it went all wrong too but in the end I really liked what happened. Happy accidents. I was going for a transparent blond and ended up with a mocha burst. Really was fun playing with nitro lacquer and see how it lays down.
20220902_142937.jpg

Thanks for the info on orange. I have some Stewmac vintage amber, cherry red and aged clear. Gonna try a base of amber and a light pass of cherry red and then brown it with the aged. Could be awesome or the red overpowers. We will see. Got some more sanding done
20220902_142512.jpg

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
My first refinish I tried it went all wrong too but in the end I really liked what happened. Happy accidents. I was going for a transparent blond and ended up with a mocha burst. Really was fun playing with nitro lacquer and see how it lays down. View attachment 1023894
Thanks for the info on orange. I have some Stewmac vintage amber, cherry red and aged clear. Gonna try a base of amber and a light pass of cherry red and then brown it with the aged. Could be awesome or the red overpowers. We will see. Got some more sanding done
View attachment 1023897
You know I liked it too. Just got into these nitro finishes and thought I'd do it similar but a little more subdued.

Love to tinker

TDPRI Member
20220907_124145.jpg
20220907_132718.jpg
20220907_133059.jpg
20220907_133627.jpg

Okay so sealer and waited an hour and then amber, cherry red and vintage tint. One right after another to get em to melt together a bit. Ill do 2 more coats today of vintage tint to darken a bit. So far so good. Having fun.