1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Refinish: Original Blonde or Custom Color?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pcasarona, Nov 4, 2017.

1. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the group on refinishing. My guitar was originally blonde, but the body was stripped by original owner down to the Fullerplast. It is a 3 piece Ash body and I have sent it to RS Guitarworks for a refin and aging to match the neck finish.

I know that Ash body's were normally only offered in Natural, blonde, or burst finishes, but I have fallen in love with aged Firemist Silver metallic after seeing it on a couple of guitars including one of our regular post contributors on this forum. I absolutely love the way Firemist Silver (actually a pale silver blue color) ages out to a beautiful mint green and think it would look awesome on my guitar with its Rosewood neck and Bigsby. This is definitely my favorite period color, but I also love Blonde finishes and have seen stunning guitars in this finish with Rosewood necks as well.

I'm really struggling with the choice and was just wondering what the group-think was regarding the value (if any) of going with an original finish because you know it is the original finish and appropriate for the wood; Ash, vs. going with a custom color that wasn't usually used on an Ash body, but just looks great. Below are excellent examples of both:

213052.jpg Firemist Silver Metallic (Yellowed) 13.JPG

Danman and oldfish like this.
  2. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

What year is yours? That might be relevant concerning value.

I too saw that aged firemist silver that somebody posted recently and just about had to go have a cigarette after...and I quit smoking over 20 years ago.

pcasarona and richiek65 like this.
  3. Phatfrank

Phatfrank TDPRI Member

Your guitar, your rules:). If it was me I'd choose the finish I like best. It's only original once, and value wise I'd like to think that as most of these offered for sale are blonde you should get more or less the same for a rarer color, albeit "unoriginal". And that firemist finish is amazing:). Do it.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I concur. The original finish is gone, never to return....get what you like and want to live with.

pcasarona likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Blonde!

Slip Kid and pcasarona like this.
  6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Mine is from '67 and I believe both colors were available for that year.

7. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Thanks for the input guys! I really don't dislike the blonde at all. In fact, if it were in it's original blonde when I got it (in any finish condition) I would have been thrilled to keep it that way. But, as you have said that ship has sailed. Blonde is classic and I could be very happy with that, but there is just something about that mint green aged silver color. I wish Fender still made guitars in that color (or maybe they do?).

Custom Shop Limited Edition '67 Telecaster Closet Classic.
    Custom Shop Limited Edition '67 Telecaster Closet Classic.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  8. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Yep, hard to decide between these 2 colors…
    Yes, an ash body should be refinished in blond.
    However, if you chose to go with the aged Firemist silver, nobody will get hurt, nobody will die…
    Choose the color that makes you happy. Be sure you won’t regret your choice.

pcasarona likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Value wise a refinished guitar is a refinished guitar. Furthermore you are paying someone to refinish it which to be fair is money you are not going to get back. So finish it in the color you like. it will have no bearing on the value other than how happy it makes you feel when you play it.

pcasarona likes this.
  10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Hey, that's my old 67 Blue Ice Metallic Tele. Always nice to see it coming by..... :)

Tough choice on the colors. That aged Blue Ice Metallic was really beautiful indeed. It turned to a lovely olive color and is an amazing guitar. But I also like blonde very much. Something about the simplicity and pureness of an original Tele color. But people are right that you should just do what you want. It won't change the value of the guitar. A custom color will stand out in the crowd more! That can be nice.....

pcasarona likes this.
  11. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Your old guitar and one other I saw recently were my inspiration for doing mine in Firemist Silver. In fact, I sent photos of your old guitar to the refinisher as a sample of the color I was looking for.

Danman likes this.
  12. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Cool! It really is a beautiful color. Specially when aged to yellow.
    Still funny how close it is to Firemist Silver. But several people had identified it as Blue Ice Metallic. Although there was no indication in the guitar as to which color it really was.

Actually recently someone else (rze99) had his Tele refinished in the same color, with my Tele as an example. it looks amazing: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-pa...le-tele-details-and-pics.739308/#post-7691561

13. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Yeah, that is gorgeous! I will be thrilled if mine comes out that nice!

Danman likes this.
  14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Danman,

You may have missed the post I maid in another thread, but was thinking that your old guitar was Firemist Silver not Blue Ice based on some samples of original colors that I found on a refinisher's site. When you compare the two samples to your old guitar, it looked more like Firemist to me than Blue Ice. See below:

Firemist:
    FiremistSilver.jpg
    Firemist Silver Metallic (Yellowed) 3.jpg
    Blue Ice:
    BlueIce.jpg

15. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

I don't have to wonder if I agree, I've decided to have my orange natural refinished ash 67 body refinished in a beautiful teal green relic color and I am so happy with it.

16. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

No bad choices there.

17. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Hi Pcasarona,
    I agree that it looks like firemist silver here. And I'm not saying that it is not. But the trouble is that these are colors found on the internet and can't really be trusted. If you google Firemist or Blue Ice you'll find a million different colors. And the reason I didn't think it was Firemist is because I had seen a vintage Firemist Silver guitar up close and that color seemed more silver and pale than mine. Mine had more blue in it. But again, it's very hard to tell. Interesting though and I would like to find out for sure sometime!

pcasarona likes this.
  18. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

As a furniture maker and wood guy I like the natural finish...if it's a three piece ash body, let her shine. Of course it's a personal choice....but I wouldn't want to put a burka on my babe.

'53.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Danman,

You are absolutely right in saying the colors were inconsistent at best, especially after 50 years of aging with each guitar getting varying amounts of exposure to UV light, cigarette smoke, and general wear and tear. Having said that, I have never seen a Firemist Silver that looked darker than a Blue Ice Metallic or a Blue Ice Metallic that looked less blue than a Firemist Silver, so I'm not sure that the original finishes varied to the point of two colors being confused when they were new. I think the aging has as much or more to do with the confusion today than inconsistency in the original factory finishes, but this is just my hunch and I can't say that's definitively true.

All I know is that I love the color of your old guitar (whatever the color is) and that is the color I want to emulate on my guitar. In fact, it was the painter from RS Guitarworks who first suggested to me that the color in the photos I sent him (your old guitar) looked more like Firemist to him then Blue Ice Metallic which I thought it was as well. After he told me that, I started doing more research on both colors and that's when I found those original paint code samples on another refinisher's website and it surprised me how much his sample of Firemist looked like the color under you old guitar's pickguard. Again, to me it is less important what the color is called than getting the color that you like. I promise to send photos as soon as mine is done and we can compare them to your old guitar. I'll be thrilled if mine ends up looking anything like yours!

Danman likes this.
  20. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

I love natural Tele's as well, but already have two others, so I'm looking forward to having something a little different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.