1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Refin on a MIJ or leave it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by maloburro, Feb 16, 2021.

1. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Hi everyone.

I just thought I’d ask for some opinions out there. I bought this crafted in Japan 97 Strat last summer just the body (ST-62D) and the neck (ST-54DEX2). The rest of the parts come from other various strats I’ve had or bought parts from over the years.

It has the thin poly chipping off, I’ve loved Olympic white strats and refinished guitars before, it doesn’t seem like I have to worry too much about the value on this one. I’ve also been confused since this has a 54 neck on a 62 body but found a thread where this happened in the mid to late 90s
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/mij-50th-anniversary-strat-in-pink.239768/page-3

If I go through with this I would do aged Olympic white over the black with a light relic, very light. I would keep the chipped area of poly by masking. The neck I would leave as is since it’s perfect and I love the V-neck

Opinions are welcomed. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

2. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I don't know man... for me I love a weathered look when it's REAL. I mean people pay extra for that and it's not even real wear. Well, not over time and real playing.

My buddy bought a 60th anniversary Strat and it had a bit of dings on it and was like ugh I wanna finish it and I'm like dude, that's battle scars. It's part of the guitars history.

Now that being said, it's all ones perspective. But I'm in the camp of just leaving stuff stock as far as finish goes. I mean there are people that can redo them and make them look good. And maybe you're one of them. But I also see people's refinished guitars and it just looks... cheap to me. Squier and Fender do a good job on their paint. I think it's one area they do really well no matter where it's made. At least from what I can tell. Although I'm thinking most factory finishes are pretty decent.

maloburro likes this.
  3. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I'd leave it alone. Looks great as is.

uriah1 and maloburro like this.
  4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd leave it as I like honest wear...unless you wanted to do fiesta red, then by all means.

maloburro and whoanelly15 like this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Personally I'd leave it alone, or sell the body and get a white body if you want white.
    A LOT of work and no additional value added if you do all the work.
    IMO of course, it's your axe do what you want.

maloburro likes this.
  6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

At some point down the road a legitimately weathered poly finish might be similarly desirable to some as a worn nitro finish. Before anyone scoffs at me just look at the fact that now CBS era guitars are collectible whereas 20-25 years ago they were not. As the most sought after and oldest guitars become harder and harder for mere mortals to attain new eras and interests come back into the fold.

Ergo I say keep it as it is!

maloburro likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'd just play it as is. If you really want a better finish, just buy another finished body and stash this one.

Blues Twanger and maloburro like this.
  8. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Thank you everyone. She stays as she is. I agree with everything ya’ll have said.

I have to admit and agree it’s cool to see legit wear and tear on poly and this being in the thinner side, even better.

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

my buddy has a circa 86 MIJ standards Strat, a guy knocked if off the stand one night and it has a big chunk of paint missing on the front bottom, and the paint is thick!

10. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Set up,,play,,repeat!!

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I agree...

12. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Isn't that elbow rubbed-off look what they do on all the relics? You've got it, man! Looks great to me. I'd just leave it alone.

13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Leave it exactly as it is and play it to death

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.