Redwood Project

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Unionjack515, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I recently sent two necks (and only one body) to MJT to do a Vince Gill ‘53 project. One neck was quartersawn maple and the other was roasted quartersawn maple. I figured I’d have them both aged in the same way and pick which one I liked better once they sent the parts back to me upon completion. I’ve decided I’m going to keep that Vince Gill project traditional and stick with the unroasted maple on it. That leaves me with an extra neck. What do you need when you’ve got an extra neck? That’s right, an extra body. So I found this cool reclaimed redwood body on Reverb and thought it might be a cool match for the roasted maple neck. I’ve always wanted a B16 Bigsby guitar so I think I’ll use this platform for it. The one-piece bridge is a little scary. I’ve read that old growth redwood can vary pretty widely as a tonewood but tends to be on the brighter side (similar to reclaimed pine I’m guessing). I was also considering a Gilmour Workmate-style pickup set (Esquire with an uncovered neck pickup). This one is turning into a platform to try all kinds of crazy ideas...ha. Pics below of body and a Masterbuilt with the B16.

Attached Files:

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Experimenting is great. Just don't do anything that can't be undone!

rangercaster and Unionjack515 like this.
  3. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Agreed! The whole of the Bigsby is “reversible” (albeit with a couple extra holes in the body). Requires a goofy neck angle to clear the bridge pickup height but they make a shim. Like a pine body guitar, I just have to be especially diligent accounting for the softness of the redwood.

naneek likes this.
  4. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have a Sycamore? body (Avatar). On another post there was discussion about putting superglue in the screw holes, letting it DRY and then put the screws afterwards. This was supposed to strengthen the wood. May be something to consider.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  5. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

They might make a vibramate too fwiw

Unionjack515 likes this.
  6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Good luck with your build!

I have one of the Hot Rod '50s Reclaimed Redwood Telecasters that Fender released as a Limited Edition a few years ago. Mine came with a 4-way switch, compound radius neck, and plays great.

Redwood Tele.jpg

7. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

What kind of finish? Just curious!

naneek likes this.
  8. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

According to Fender, the finish on my redwood Tele is a hand-rubbed dark stain oil. The pickguard is 1-ply black bakelite.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Unionjack515 and naneek like this.
  9. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

good luck with your project, looks like it will be a fun one.

I made a reclaimed pine tele project with wood from a ceiling beam in a 120 year old barn, and it's held up very well over the past 7 years. It's about due for its first setup since assembly and a little electronics work, but I didn't have any real problems with the softness of the wood. I finished it in oil and beeswax with seymour duncan 59 humbuckers and a bakelite pickguard.

I've always wanted a redwood tele, I'm still keeping an eye out for the right piece of wood.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  10. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Cavalier pickups ordered today. As usual, Rob was a pleasure to work with. She Wolf for the neck position and Fat Lion for the bridge. Hoping to preemptively tame some highs and fatten it up.

preactor likes this.
  11. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Interestingly...I just took a look at my T and soon-to-become-a-T collection and realized for the first time that I have not one Fender in the bunch. Weird. But perfectly ok with me.

12. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Seller of the body was nice enough to send some off-cuts along with the body so I can test for finish. Looking forward to trying some different treatments. I also ordered my hardware today and emailed back and forth with Tim at Tru-Arc Bridgeworks. Wow what a resource he is. As some of you may know, the B16 was designed when most players were using a wound G string. So if you’re using a plain G, the bridge needs to be altered or a different bridge needs to be used. Tim offers a custom bridge for the B16 in any of five different metals (aluminum, brass, copper, stainless or titanium), specially radiused to match your fretboard. Most of the rest of the custom options address things that my mind can’t even formulate an opinion on...too much engineering for me. So I’ll do a little chewing on which metal I’d like and go from there! Cool experience!

Mudman32 likes this.
  13. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Got the body today. Looks awesome. Tried a few clear-ish options on some of the scrap and I think I’m going to end up going with a fairly natural burst on it. It’s fairly non-descript otherwise. Found these for reference:

Attached Files:

14. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Cool project. I have been toying with the idea of getting a 4" thick redwood slab and making matching Tele and Strat bodies with the same grain pattern.

I am somewhat skeptical about it being old growth redwood however. Of course it is possible, but just because it is reclaimed redwood doesn't make it old growth. Not that it makes much difference, unless you paid a premium for that provenance. I live in the coastal redwoods, and can tell you that pretty much every tree not currently in a state park was harvested in (roughly) 1907-1910 to rebuild San Francisco. The Santa Cruz Mountains were essentially clear cut. So even if it is 100 year old redwood, it's not necessarily old growth.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  15. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

I have done this, but to be clear I screwed the screws in, then removed them, lightly coated the screws with superglue, screwed them in, then removed them and let dry for a few minutes. This ensures that the threads in the wood were coated yet retained their shape instead of being filled with glue.

preactor likes this.
  16. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Good point. I have no clue how old it is, and at this point it doesn’t really matter to be honest. I’m going to have to deal with whatever sonic characteristics it has either way. But I don’t think I paid a premium for age—all in, including shipping from Canada, it was under $200. I did ask the seller how old it is (just for S&G), so we’ll see what he says. Weighs in at 3.75lb, so that’s fun. I’ve had some lighter ash bodies but not by much.

Telecentric likes this.
  17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Buyer says it has actually been reclaimed twice. First time was in the 60s. This was two beams the the seller reclaimed from a home being torn down. And the homeowner had reclaimed them in the 1960s from an old building in (guess where) San Francisco prior to that. Who knows how long they were in that building.

Telecentric likes this.
  18. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Mocked up with this pickguard...might be cool

Attached Files:

Telecentric and radiocaster like this.
  19. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Ordered a three ply b/w/b celluloid pickguard too. I guess mint should also be an option. Personal preference of course but I’ve always thought maple fretboard guitars worked better with light guards. But I’m generally not a huge fan of white guard Teles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.