redoing my #1 tele opinions on pickups etc

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by drewblue, Oct 17, 2017.

1. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

i have a mid 90's 62ri mij its the white and mother of toilet seat. it was my grandpas. and its been my #1 guitar for 15 years. it has bardens in it right now. but the neck pup is dead. and im thinking about a more traditional vintage sounding tele pup for the bridge and a tk smith neck. idk if i want the. charlie christian or the bigsby style i just want that fat warm barney kessel jazz tone and somthing that blends well with the birdge. i know the barden was based on the christian pickup. and i like it. and im gonna have em look at it but i just want to try some new stuff. also i will be adding a bigsby trem. any opinions would be much appreciated

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Wait for it... Cavalier pickups. Just a very satisfied customer here. Not sure if they have the sound you're looking for but the descriptions on the website are extremely accurate and I found that to be more helpful than I was expecting. What they say is what they are.

El Tele Lobo, lineboat and Bruxist like this.
  3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Take a look at what Don Mare offers, I think he has something like you described (big box or something like that). I have a donocaster (blackguard style) set and 2 sets of hayrides (mid '50's to early '60's style) and really like them. You are going from low noise Bardens to real single coils, there could be extra noise.

Misty Mountain likes this.
  4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I have yet to find ANY neck pickup for a Telecaster that works better than a Barden.

I get wanting to try something new and different, but if it was me, I'd just replace the Barden.

5. Charlemagne13

Charlemagne13 TDPRI Member

+1 On the Cavaliers. I've got my Chapman tele setup with a fat lion / fat lion king and my MIM with a nashville / lion king. My friend picked up the Chapman the other day and fell in love with the fat lions. Most of his guitars have EMGs or humbuckers but I think he's thinking about pickup up a tele now.

6. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

yeah after research and thought im hoping the barden can be repaired.

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Cavaliers!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Scoutbag

Scoutbag NEW MEMBER!

Seymour Duncan broadcaster. Seymour has forgotten more about pickups than most of these guys at their kitchen tables ever learned....don't believe all the hype.....just sayin
    Scoutbag

FirTrader likes this.
  9. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Wilde Bill Keystones. Nice pups

Neck pup clean at @1:35

eallen likes this.
  10. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have to agree with the Bill & Becky Keystones or Microcoils. Also great jam of keystones LowThuds!!!

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Not me playing. lol I just love those vids. That is what convinced me to buy a set.

eallen likes this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm planning to buy this very set in the next few weeks hopefully. going to put them in my jazz tele.

13. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Ok so I got a new Barden neck pup today. I think I’m going to keep my bardens. I’m gonna run a 250k duesenberg 70 degree tone pot for way type style. I would like a volume that does volume swells well. There is the astroglide gatton pot. Any suggestions. How would you set the switching any cool 5 way or 3 way settings Also I’m pretty sure I’m gonna throw on a vibramate bigsby any reason not to. A pro is gonna wire it all up. But I need some ideas to take to him

14. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Here's a Tim Lerch demo of the Don Mare Big Box pickup.

I've got a set of Mare's in my tele that I'm very happy with. I don't think you could go wrong with Mare's or Cavalier's.

Here's Tim doing a demo of the Lollar Charlie Christian.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.