Redoing a pedal board?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Midgetje94, Oct 19, 2021.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My main board is dead simple and incorporates an HX Effects and a Tech 21 FlyRig. Nothing to change in and out our re-org, at least physically. I was just working on my backup "short board" this morning, though, in fact. That one is minimalist - only 4 pedals.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m about to disassemble and reassemble my pedalboard; I don’t look forward to it, but want to rearrange a couple of things and make it cleaner.

I’ve considered just making/buying a second smaller board; I have a couple of duplicate pedals (overdrive, boost), but would have to invest in either a power supply or a powered board, as well as another tuner and another Lone Wolf Blues Company Harp Break (harmonica overdrive) pedal to have a second board that does what I want it to do.

Rather than make that investment, I think I’ll just clean up/redo my current board.

northernguitar likes this.
  3. 0ct0Pr0n

0ct0Pr0n TDPRI Member

I don't see what the big deal is. What's to test?
    FWIW, I bundle my DC supply cable slack up with velcro and stick it to the loops out of site under the riser where my Pedal Power lives.

4. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Holic

Maybe it's because now I have a Temple Audio board and there's no velcro, but I like changing things up to suit what I need. This weekend I need to take advantage of two unused jacks on the side plate to wire in an "audition loop" so that I can add pedals inline to the pedalboard without rewiring everything. When not in use, a small patch cable connects the circuit.

I'm also changing things out as I either upgrade or find what works for me. Tried a Friedman BE-OD, but didn't work - too much gain even with the trimpot all the way down. Tried a Barber Direct Drive V3 compact to see if it could replace my original silver sharpie Direct Drive, but didn't sound the same. went to an Xotic SP Compressor vs. my Keeley compressor for the blend/parallel compression. List goes on, but my pedalboard has been evolving and changing for decades, and it's fine by me.

5. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

My pedals bolt on, so no messing about with Velcro

EEB529AE-3D74-4D04-9F0C-705DCC579660.jpeg
    B13A1D60-A2E2-4EE2-8C0A-34FA961D3769.jpeg

A butter knife is ideal if you have Velcro. Slide it between the hook and loop to ‘break’ the connection and it makes it much easier to move pedals about.

I also have a Wah outboard of the main board, on the floor. And since that picture was taken I’ve changed pedals about, and added a new MXR phase, so here is the updated layout.

EB6C44C3-1E58-4B2F-89C3-C02A5CD4F71B.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    SbS likes this.
  6. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

See it’s not as much the Velcro for me. It’s the cable management aspect. I kinda throw everything on. Test it. Then spend a while anchoring cables. Lol

Frodebro and Cyberi4n like this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

My cables tuck into the rails on the board, and on the underside they’re Velcro’d in. But I totally get what you mean

8. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Yea. I’m anal. I don’t care who you are or what level you play on. A messy board is a eye sore. Lol

Frodebro and Cyberi4n like this.
  9. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

I love it, I've redone my pedal board many times, every time improving on cable routing, power management, pedal placement, etc. I guess I'm an audio geek and I like connecting stuff.

IMG_20210108_124121677.jpg IMG_20210108_130755470.jpg IMG_20210108_175126792.jpg IMG_20210119_085414103_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  10. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

Totally! I even struggle with the fact that on my board, some of my switches on the mini pedals are in different places to others, and so nothing lines up - if the bottoms of the pedals line up, the toggle switch is off! *facepalm*

Midgetje94 likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like a neat board as well.

upload_2021-10-20_10-39-46.jpeg

12. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've done it few times and always thought that's the best possible solution. But after a few hours, days or weeks, figure out something to improve.

Until the latest reincarnation, there just isn't much space left anymore.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The biggest leap for me was using a switcher. Head and shoulders above all other "improvements" I've ever done. I do add or subtract pedals now and then, but I've been mostly settled for years now.

14. 0ct0Pr0n

0ct0Pr0n TDPRI Member

Wew, some you guys are on another level with your cable management.

Personally, as long as the pedals themselves are secure and there's not a bunch of slack flopping around, I don't really see a mechanical reason to zip everything down like that . . . YMMV

northernguitar and Midgetje94 like this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

0A21DA35-765C-4908-9723-999C1F3868D7.jpeg
    Not so much. :p The only tedious part was getting the settings right. :cool:

16. Warhol

Warhol TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I totally recognize myself in your words. :D

I think legos don't have the "technological" aspect of remaking a pedalboard.

Personally, I compare it to geeks who are constantly remodeling their PCs.

17. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I change up my pedalboard all the time for no good reason, except that I don't want a giant board but I have a lot of pedals. So I swap things in and out. That's why I use gaff tape instead of zip ties to manage cables underneath.

18. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Get a pedal switcher to solve these problems. Program your combinations and change your order without having to run new cables or move pedals.

Or, MFX.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Hardly.

The continual renewal of a pedal board and its components is one of life's sublime pleasures.

SbS, doghouseman, 0ct0Pr0n and 2 others like this.
  20. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Btw.. I just redid my board :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.