Redd Volkaert - New Interview

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Cody_J, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike TDPRI Member

Thank you Cody for posting this. I especially liked how you allowed him to finish his thoughts without interrupting him. Many interviewers don't do that. I also liked the editing, when after you asked the question, the next camera shot would be concentrated on him while he was answering the question. Good job!

rand z, Cody_J and SparkleFart like this.
  2. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

he's a badass and i've learned from his instructional video

Cody_J likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Really good interview. I enjoyed that!

Cody_J likes this.
  4. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

Thank you for that! I'm learning as I go with the video editing, and that was a pretty awesome compliment. I definitely have areas that I can improve upon, but I'm proud of the videos so far!

5. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

One of the most badassednesst. :D

6. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

Thank you!!

7. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I got to speak to him a couple of times when he was at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn, IL where I live. The conversation was nothing serious, just a light chat, but he is a very easy going, friendly guy.

DjimiWrey and Cody_J like this.
  8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Well I just blew nearly an hour at work on this. Wow! I knew Redd was a fabulous player, but his mindset, personality, philosophy, country wisdom, whatever you want to call it, is awesome! He reminds me a lot of my late dad. Great work ethic, and outlook on life. "you just pinch it off til you get a break, and then you let her go, and get back on stage when you're done". Awesome interview. I'm going to watch this with my two sons. There are a lot of pearls in what he says here.

JJLC, rand z, spurgie79 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

Definitely. He is a very warm, friendly person. I 100% agree.

10. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

I'm happy I provided you with a distraction from work!

I think you are spot on about Redd and his work ethic and outlook. I particularly loved his position on helping others who are new or newer to the guitar. "Doesn't cost a nickel to be nice."

suthol and CapnCrunch like this.
  11. CapnCrunch

Yep. That's one of the other quotes that I loved. That and when he talks about guys wanting to sit in with him and saying "this is why I'm great and you're going to love me" and he raises his finger and says that causes the warning light to go off. I love down to earth people and especially people who have attained some fame but still hold on to their humility.

Cody_J likes this.
  12. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I just got home from work and watched this. My gosh this was good. I really wish you success because we need more of these. You’ve earned my subscription, my good man!

Cody_J likes this.
  13. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

Thank you so much! There should be an interview with Johnny Hiland coming out in a couple weeks. It's already been filmed, and I'm almost done with the editing. After that, I have a few more lined up and we are just trying to work out the details.

rand z and spurgie79 like this.
  14. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Simply one of the best interviews I've ever heard/seen about the music biz!

I've been performing for over 50 years and have met and worked with all kinds of peeps in the BIZ and never knew the inner dynamics that existed there.

But, Redd answered "candidly" your excellent, thoughtful questions in a manner that brought light to a lot of things that I've always wondered about regarding relationships, pay etc., and more!

Thanks to you...

And to Redd, who is truly a class act!

Cody_J and donrichfan like this.
  15. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

Cody, Thank you for posting this.

Cody_J likes this.
  16. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

Fantastic interview my man. I love Redd... he's, by far, my favorite guitar player ever. Thank you for doing the interview. It was really well done. I subscribed as well.

Tom

Cody_J likes this.
  17. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

too cool...thanks for sharing that...

I been lucky enough to vacation in the Texan Hill Country several times and always make it a point to catch Redd at some awesome little Honky Tonk.

I laughed loud one night when I came outa the Continental Club after a Heybale show to catch Redd loading up his tour bus:) the ole mini coop....and Redd sporting a telecaster shape sweat mark to boot...the man has time for everybody, the best P1020019.JPG

suthol, Cody_J and jguitarman like this.
  18. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I watched the interview last night and really enjoyed it. As someone mentioned already, some interviewers often ask a question and interrupt the interviewee with their own comments. It drives me crazy because I want to hear the answer, not more banter from the interviewer. You asked your questions and then allowed Redd to answer and even stretch out a little bit. I appreciated that.
    Redd seems to be a very down to earth humble guy that I would love to have a visit and a few beers with; even better, a jam with.
    Great interview. Can't wait for the next one.

Cody_J likes this.
  19. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

I'm just catching up on the most recent comments here, and I want to thank everyone for the kind words. These interviews are nothing more than a passion project right now, and it's the awesome responses that I get from everyone (not to mention getting to hang out with these amazing guitar players) that makes it worth it. You guys rock (and twang!).

rand z likes this.
  20. CapnCrunch

@Cody_J I wanted to throw out a couple observations about the interview itself. First, I thought your questions were really well thought out, and definitely explored an area of the music business that you don't typically see talked about very much, if at all. It was great that Redd was willing to delve deeply into the subject. Did you forward questions to him in advance so that he was prepared and so that you knew what he was willing to talk about and what he wasn't?

I know that artist/gear videos are pretty ubiquitous. That said, I think it would have been informative to let a self professed guitar/gear nerd like Redd elaborate a little on the history/evolution of his gear. It would have also been quite informative, I think, to hear what he has to say on the topic of gear vs. talent/practice when it comes to tone. I know you asked him about practice habits especially after he started playing out almost daily. For me, that was super interesting and informative. I would just have loved to have heard a pro's honest assessment, without any marketing incentive, on the issue of gear vs. talent and time in the woodshed as it relates to a player's sound and tone.

Anyway, I was super impressed at the level of thought that obviously went into this interview. Very well done.

rand z and Cody_J like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.