Redd Plays Stranglehold!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by esetter, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Love it! I thought I was doing great with my 7:00pm to 10:00pm - back in bed listening to H. Johnson's Jazz Classics on NPR by 11:00pm :). Gotta love Redd, what a player and singer! Love here for Ted too. Fun post.

Redd Volkaert and Nickadermis like this.
  2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Redd Nugent!!!!

Redd Volkaert, LGOberean and tvvoodoo like this.
  3. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

A little Redd Ted Redemption. Good stuff!

Redd Volkaert and getbent like this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

There are a couple more from that day. Looks like they had an absolute blast:

Kansas City

Route 66

Redd Volkaert, Bones and esetter like this.
  5. Whoa Tele

I wish Robert Plant would roll thru Austin so we could see what Redd Zepplin would sound like.

6. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had the absolute pleasure to catch a couple of Redd's shows at the Continental Club when in Austin a few years back. Don't kid yourself about the old fart stuff (I happen to be one too). Redd does that 3:30 show and it is energized. He also does an evening show with a band called Haybale.

I had read here for years about those shows. Finally getting to experience them AND meet Redd was a blast.

Thanks so much for posting this. Great stuff.

PS: Don't think for a minute that Redd couldn't more than hold his own with just about any guitarist in any genre. Guy is a MONSTER.

7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Fantastic! Easily my most air-guitared song back in my late night stoner times.... :D :eek: :rolleyes: o_O :confused: :lol:

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

One way or another, before I leave this world, I am going to see Redd at the Continental Club and I’m going to see one more show at Levon Helms Barn. :)

Redd Volkaert likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

These are fun clips and I grew up on Ted and it’s nice that Redd let him sit in.

Can also see why Ted valued Derek St Holmes so much (ahem)

Guitar playing ? Ted is a branch on the enormous tree of Chuck Berry.

Depth/breadth of styles ? Ted is Lake Huron (avg depth 62 ft) and Redd is Lake Superior (avg depth 483 ft).

Sorry. I had to be that guy...

10. E5RSY

He lived her for a few years. Don't recall him ever showing up with Redd, though.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

In my thread about my son's Corvette, I mentioned being up 23 hours the day we went and got it. That used to be a common occurrence in my younger days, but man, 23 hours in old man's time seemed like three days!

12. E5RSY

True. But, it's about the results, too. Are we entertained?

I've been to that show numerous times, and I don't think I've ever seen Redd and that band smile like that. Who could blame them?

Scott

Redd Volkaert and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Ted has been a family friend since the 1970’s. As a Traditional archery buff I have to prepare myself for his level of energy and enthusiasm! He is just like my little step brother , eternally happy and never shuts up , you can’t help but smile most of the time ! But someone like me is exhausted after an hour or two :) It’s fun seeing people have fun playing music !

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Ted's playing on that song is still sick after all these years. Even playing it note-for-note like the original never gets old. It was just a brilliantly-constructed solo in the first place.

15. E5RSY

The Heybale shows are on Sundays, Redd's happy hours on Saturdays.

The Continental Club has a long tradition of good music on Sundays. Years ago it was Junior Brown weekly. AKA "Church with Junior!"

harlycarly likes this.
  16. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Big_Bend
    An odd story I guess.
    A real nice fella & his wife have been coming to see me at the Continental for yrs,
    he's a guitar player too and a very good friend & associate of Teds.

Ted calls him one day and say he needs to borrow his Tele, as he doesn't own one, so he can finish his last cd. The guy loans it to him, then Ted brings it back and says this thing doesn't sound half bad. The guy tells Ted "Have you ever heard Redd?" Of course he says no.
    So they sit down, turn on the tv to Youtube and he shows Ted some vids on there.

According to the friend he go's ape and said where is this f@$%ing guy, he says Austin, Ted says do you know him, he says yeah.

So the friend texts me and asks if its ok to give Ted my number, I said sure!
    10 min later he calls and we start talking, tho I can't print the words he said, even though they were all positive. He goes on & on and says I gotta come see you play, are you there this Sat
    I said yes, he said cool, I'm coming with my wife, buddy & his wife.
    I said don't come without a guitar! He said Yer On! That was it.

Of course as soon as I hung up I thought about what I'd just done . . . I thought this might be my last gig/day in Austin. If all the people that hate him (and there are a few in Austin) find out he's there and show up to provoke a rant out of him, I'm done, I won't be able to buy a gig in this town. So I sweated a bit til' Sat
    I didn't tell anyone, for fear of the inevitable (I thought)

Ted shows up early, we visit for an hour or so, talk guitars (surprise, he owns a few) & life.
    He sat out front, watched for over an hour, then I called him up and he killed it.

I gotta say, if he didn't tell me his age I couldn't have guessed.
    He eats crazy healthy, has never drank etc
    Anyway I've not seen a man over 45 with as much energy, passion and flat out balz desire to play, groove, rock whatever you wanna call it, ever.

He was 300% pro!
    On stage he never said a word about politics or said anything derogatory toward or about anybody on the mic. (to my relief)
    And couldn't seem happier sitting in with our little country bar band. He smiled, laughed & yucked it up with us. By then loads of folks recognized him. When we took a break, he singed every autograph, posed for every picture and visited with everyone! No rockstar running out the back door, an unbelievable gentleman.

I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of music folks in my day and to me he was one of the most sincere, honest, still passionate about music, people I have met

What a nice afternoon
    And thank you for asking!
    Redd Tedd&Redd.jpg

Owenmoney, E5RSY, Georox and 3 others like this.
  17. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for stopping in and telling us..the rest of the story!:D Thumbs up!

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Sheesh! Incredible. Is there anything Redd -can't- play, and play well? Nope.

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Lol that is my favorite part... Ted is almost 70 years old and he is only now finding out that a telecaster doesn't sound half bad. :D

So glad it all worked out. Great story Redd thanks for sharing!! What a fun day, a treat for all....

20. Whoa Tele

Hey Redd. Thanks for the story. Any plans for a new release? I think you should call your next album "Simply Redd"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.