1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Red Wings or Penguins?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, May 20, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I'm going with the Wings in six. The home ice and four days rest will serve them well, I think. It should become clear, early on, if the Red Wings’ D-men can disrupt the Pittsburgh rush, take the play to the boards and win the puck. That’s the key, in my mind.

The NHL has the match up that they wanted, much to my chagrin, but it should be an exciting series to watch as long as they let the guys skate and don’t get too crazy with hooking and holding calls that don’t impede play while they allow dangerous crosschecks and slew footing without consequence. Wait, now that I think about it, that last sentence is pretty funny. Good officiating is much too much to ask of the NHL. I just hope the guys stay healthy and play well. Pittsburgh’s kids look like the real deal. I’m especially impressed with the goalie Fleury. He could steal a game or two and be the difference.

Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy the games.

2. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

No Canadian teams in it. It just doesn't matter.

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got to pull for the Penguins. They're young. We'll see.

4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I live in the land of the Baby Pens so I will root for Pittsburgh!

Dan

5. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Wings in six.

6. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Red Wings. I'm sad to say my boys just didn't test Fleury or the Pittsburgh D. I won't make excuses for the Flyers, but they couldn't seem to start a rush in their own zone to save their lives. I think the Wings' D is stronger than Malkin, Crosby and company. Pittsburgh is weapon-heavy though and if they come out loaded and firing, Detroit's gonna have a brutal game 1 to try to come back from. It's never easy to start a series by being b****slapped on your own ice.

Detroit in 7.

7. Twanginator

Twanginator Tele-Holic

I hope we finally have a series that lives up to expectations. We have the team with the most broad based support across North America playing the team with the next big hockey media darling--plus his Russian sidekick. This will make for some improvements in the tv ratings (I hope).

I thought Detroit's regular season record was a bit inflated but they have proven to be a very solid contender. I have to go with the Penguins though. I think this young team is on its way to several years of dominant play. I hope to see an even battle with lots of close hard-fought games. Pens win it in seven.

Good luck to both teams!

8. BellyBoy

BellyBoy Tele-Holic

I like em both... I just hope it goes 7..... I would like to see Crosby win it all....

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought the Spurs were the ones playing hockey.

10. Zhurh

Zhurh Tele-Meister

Watched every Pen game this season here along the Yukon; catch all the local Burgh sports programming. Pens are peaking at the right time. I figure the series will go back and forth. Wings won't dominate Pens but maybe more consistent than Pens. Some periods, Pens just don't show and it costs them. By the same token, you watched Nashville & Dallas win a couple; can be done; Pens are the team to do it too. Will go 7 for sure; great series.

Have you all been watching Memorial Cup on NHL network, good stuff. I hear Erie, Pa. has an OHL team now; way to go.

11. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

I like the Wings defense and Grit this year ..

[​IMG]

but then again the PENS look good too

[​IMG]

:eek:

Illus. courtesy of Rob Ullman

12. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

I'm a die-hard Pens fan and the Wings are my #2 team. Both teams have an incredible amount of skill and talent so this Stanley Cup series should be a dandy. No discounting the Pens since they are solid in all four lines which is a huge plus and Fluery has been a wall this season, Therrien has produced a very focused team...the Igloo will be rockin' on a hockey night in Pittsburgh.

The series will probably go seven games for the Penguins to bring the Cup back to the 'Burgh.

Scratch my back with a hacksaw...:cool:

13. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Crosby? Malkin? Hossa? I don't thing we'll see talent like this on one team again for a long time.

I wish Michel Therrien all the best, I liked him when he coached the Habs. Georges Laracque is a beast, he can play on my team any day.

Detroit's defense is pretty good though. I hardly saw Detroit play this year so I won't comment, but I know how scary Pittsburgh can be.

One thing about Kris Draper: I saw the goal where he stopped the puck with his face and swatted it in the net. Now that is why I love hockey.

14. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Tele-Holic

-Must be nice. I live about 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hrs from Pittsburgh and I can't get squat! At least I get the Steelers games. But I can't even pick up a Pirates game on the tube. Stinking Cleveland market.

L8R,
    Matt D.

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like Redwing boots!

16. graphs

graphs Tele-Afflicted

I have no real preference for either team, though i think it would be nice to see the young guys get a cup. More than half the Detroit team has already got a ring. That, and considering how close the Penguins franchise were to moving, I think it'd be really great to see them win. If Franzen is back healthy for the final though, Detroit will not be easy to beat.

Either way, both teams are stacked with talent and the series should be a beauty to watch!

17. robhisgtr

robhisgtr Tele-Meister

Penguins in 6. Sid is MVP.

18. Twanginator

Twanginator Tele-Holic

Cool! Draper's face looks like a rare steak lately. That's worth at least one game in my book.

Maybe one of the Penguins can deflect one off the old plastic cup and show those Red Wings a thing or two...maybe three.

Gotta love this sport.

19. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I'm finding myself rooting for the Penguins in this series, but after watching last night's game, I don't think they have a chance. Detroit is so fast, and constantly agressive, and moves the puck around so fluidly, that they look like they're on a power play even when they're not!

Pittsburgh did well in the first period, although they couldn't convert any of the 4 power plays. But for the second period and first half of the third period, the whole game was played in Pittsburgh's half of the ice. You can't win games like that.

Detroit is just too good. I hope that I'm wrong, but after yesterday's game I see Detroit winning the first 3 games, then Pittsburgh wins the desperation 4th game, then Detroit wraps it up in game 5.

20. Bémolle

Bémolle TDPRI Member

I have to go with the Pens in 6, there is just too much talent on that team. I just wish I could say Habs in 6... Maybe next year!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.