1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Red Wing Boots - talk me out of a pair of Iron Rangers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Sep 28, 2020.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I didn’t read through all of the replies, but I bought a pair of these last year and they’re great. They still haven’t broken in all the way, though! Toughest boots I’ve ever had.

For sizing, I wear a 10- 10.5 in sneakers- and went down to an 8.5. it’s good for thinner socks, but would do a 9 for winter if I had to go back and do it again. I went to a red wing store and got fitted, and they said I should go down to an 8, which felt terrible. They said it would be fine once broken in, but I can’t see that happening. Take what those guys say with a grain of salt. Best of luck

ukepicker and Cletus Buttwhump like this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Cool, now I know what sole I want when it's time...

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you, DP.

That's why I'm looking at the RW Roughneck style - moc toe, but with the Vibram lug soles.

I don't always need heavy lugs, but when I do, I really like having them. I don't care to need to change my shoes for the weather - I like having one pair of everyday, allday, no-matter-what boots.

Cletus Buttwhump likes this.
  4. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Those look like the first pair of Red Wings I bought, about 1974. They had red oil-tanned leather, super soft with the same soles. For the first couple of weeks they would make your socks turn an orange color from the oil and leather dye combination. They were about $65 then, which seemed like a lot at the time, but they were worth it. I had 3 resoles done before they finally wore out, a resole was about $20. I always used Red Wing boot oil on mine, and maybe mink oil in the winter. They were all made in the USA then, now they have the cheaper ones made in China.
    I've never tried the Iron Rangers, but they look like they're durable. I like the 6" height that just goes over the ankle, the 8" might be better in the winter though.

teletimetx likes this.
  5. Cletus Buttwhump

Cletus Buttwhump TDPRI Member

P.S. Thanks for the compliment, @ukepicker! They’re really a do-it-all boot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

iron.jpg

I bought these five years ago, with a winter of roof demolition and debris clearance in prospect. So warm, supportive and comfortable, that the weight and price were secondary concerns. I needed toe protection and soles that wouldn't easily be pierced, by nails and other sharps. I wouldn't consider a boot, that didn't offer these safeguards. My lightweight summer boots can't compete; comfort and safety beat all other considerations.

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Lol I just bought a pair of iron rangers. I like the look but feel like an idiot as they hurt a lot after six hours of wearing. I was persuaded by the whole "made in the US pay for quality" thing. Right now it's like I paid a ton of money for blisters

9. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought mine off Craigslist, half price and lightly worn. I didn’t have any break-in blisters, nor buyer’s remorse. Don’t give up! Wear thin liner socks inside a thicker pair.

10. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The leather is so thick that they take a while to break in. They are plenty comfortable once broken in though. They will never be as comfortable as sneakers or hiking boots, but that isn't what they are.

11. maxvintage

Yeah I'll stick with it, because i dropped a lot of dough, and I knew this would be the case going in, but I feel like I played myself. Call me crazy, but for over $300 and pair of boots could be comfortable right away....

12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, to make them comfortable out of the box they would have to use softer, thinner leather - and that would compromise toughness & longevity...

13. maxvintage

Well after a little over a week they are starting to get bearable. A week+ of everyday wear with double socks a a lot of pain and blisters. But also I cheated--I put neatsfoot oil on the inside and then went at the inside with a piece of wood with a somewhat pointed edge, stretching as hard as i could. Now my forearms were sore along with my feet. But with a single pair of socks they are close to ok and I was able to walk few miles with my wife this morning.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Harry Styron likes this.
  14. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Wearing them in humid/rainy weather, and using shoe trees also helps!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.