1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Red Wing Boots - talk me out of a pair of Iron Rangers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Sep 28, 2020.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

ukepicker likes this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

ukepicker likes this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I bought a used pair with factory new soles for 80$ that have a ca. 2,3 cm heel. They're the most uncomfortable boots, I've ever worn, the soles are stiff like hell. Especially the heels feel like "high heels". It's like I'm walking in a 15 degree angle forwards...
    Is that normal,does it get better with time?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The sight of those boots just screams the Great Depression and Tom and Ma Joad from Grapes of Wrath.
    Back then comfort smomfort. Boots were made to last. And last they did,primarily because people couldn’t wear them more than a short time per day because of the excruciating pain. More times than not people tied the shoestrings together and threw them over their shoulder and walked bear footed, that way they could appear to last forever. That is how they got the reputation as a durable shoe.
    When grampa Joad died they all stood over him, they weren’t mourning, they were contemplating whether to bury him in his Red Wing Boots or bury him without, because the idea of passing them down to another generation just didn’t seem like the right thing to do.
    When you think about it, that could be a true story.

ukepicker likes this.
  5. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I wouldn't exactly talk you out of a pair, but having owned three different redwing boots over the years (Iron Rangers among them) I would recommend the Beckman instead. The toe cap on the iron rangers makes them look a little "clown shoe" like.
    Quality wise red wings are top notch. But since you live in the US you could even upgrade a little bit and go with a Nicks Boots Falcon. The quality is even better. (Boutique, if you will...) ;)

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Dad had one pair of boots, and he took care of them. When he died, I looked at the brand, Red Wings. They had been resoled a time or two. I've got a pair of Allen's for welding, a pair of Knapp's for construction that need to be retired after two resoles, and a pair of Red Wings that are well broken in. They are all older US makes, blind stitched construction, welted, with a full gusseted tongue, etc. I'd buy a new pair, but they all look cheaper, lower quality to me. I'm pretty sure these will do me for the duration.

PS - I've got buddies with Rangers and they do last. None of them are iron workers, so not sure how they do for actually rangering iron, lol.

boredguy6060 and ukepicker like this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I had a pair of black Red Wing pull-on boots that I worked in and flew in for well over ten years.

Really durable, good looking, and comfortable.

:)

ukepicker likes this.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Iron Rangers would get your toes broke (if you were lucky) the first break time in the real world. (in the oil fields of east TX as a new worker on a "pulling rig" I got my feet stomped on at first break by other workers checking for steel toes in my new boots)

Guys hanging iron now days probably spend at least a grand on work boots. (Georgia, Whites, others)

I'd like to check out some of the pricier stuff but, I want a D-18 first and Iron Rangers will last me til I die...

With any good leather boot, keep them cleaned and conditioned. I conditioned my Red Wings when I first got them and cleaned and conditioned them again 6 months later and they looked better than new.

Break in with my Iron Rangers was a breeze. The trick is to just wear them a few hours at a time. Change back into your older pair as needed. It took mine about a week. Red Wings leather insoles will mold themselves to your feet in time. They offer great support (I have physical limitations and they definitely help me)

BTW, I bought mine as "seconds" and can barely find the flaw which is not a detriment to my boots... saved over $100

I would like to get a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots as backups.

ukepicker and RomanS like this.
  9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I noticed that. I appreciate all of the great info. But most of those guys will eventually get around to how they "accessorize" or "pair" the boots.

I did see one review where a dude unboxed, threw them on and hiked up a mountain and talked about how they felt. They were pretty scratched up out of the box and he said "These are pretty scratched up, but I don't care because I'm gonna work in them right away". I liked that guy.

I just want something that works everyday, all the time. Not too concerned about what it looks like.
    And I will *never* think once about accessorizing or pairing.

Cletus Buttwhump likes this.
  10. Cletus Buttwhump

Cletus Buttwhump TDPRI Member

High-mileage 4556 Iron Rangers here—these Red Wings took a while to break in, but once you get past that "honeymoon phase," they're amazing. Supportive, comfortable, all-weather-ready companions. I commuted for 2+ years to Manhattan in them, and wore them with everything from jeans to jacket and tie (no lie).

They like a little mink oil now and then, but other'n that, they take care of themselves.

Picked them up at Brooks Brothers back before they went under.

[​IMG]

beatnik, flathd, tery and 2 others like this.
  11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I like the looks of those! Brooks Brothers is still online, but not selling Redwings anymore. Sadly.

I like that they came with Vibram lugs from the factory. Wish they still did that.

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Who did your resoles, good job it looks like from here...

13. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

My 10 year old Redwings look brand new

Cletus Buttwhump and ukepicker like this.
  14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

Red wings...meh.

Thoroughgoods all day long.

15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Used to go through a pair of the 2231's in a few months back when I worked in the oil field in the early 80's. I've had my current pair for nearly 20 years .. and they ain't broke in yet. Wearing them once in a while for heavy yard work or burning brush just ain't even work to them.

[​IMG]

16. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Anyone sells relic’d boots? They look so much better.

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a pair of Red Wings, they're designed for cold weather roadway work. I got them because the flat soles did not pick up dirt and mud and track it into the house. They have an lot of miles on then, and still are going strong. Warm, sturdy and comfortable.

ukepicker and Cletus Buttwhump like this.
  18. Cletus Buttwhump

Those are the original, factory soles—the Brooks Brothers version used a vintage-style leather ("cactus," whatever that means) that really benefitted from some mink oil to keep the surface from looking dry at the crease points. Those heavy Vibram soles are great, too...not slick when wet on hard floors. Some lug soles are hell on tile in wet weather.

ukepicker likes this.
  19. Cletus Buttwhump

Yeah, they carried other made-in-USA brands for a while there: Red Wing, Filson, Alden...But ownership decided to stop carrying those, favoring house brand stuff only.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven't worn them much in a long time, but I have a pair of Red Wing work boots I wore for quite a while before I quit needing them. They are more than twenty five years old, and still quite serviceable. I wore them hunting a few times, and they were really good for walking in. I also have a pair of Herman Survivors I've had a long time too. If I were to pick a pair I liked it would be the Red Wings.

ukepicker and Cletus Buttwhump like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.