Red Truck vs Cerberus

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ash Telecaster, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi all,

Thinking of getting a fly rig. I do a few flying gigs a year. I'm leaning towards the Red Truck but the demos of the Cerberus sound pretty nice. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts before buying since I can't demo them side by side.

A couple observations:

The Cerberus is 12.5" vs 14.5"
    The clean boost is not foot switchable on the Red Truck
    The delay is not independently switchable from the reverb on the Cerberus.

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I have been interested in the Cerberus myself. I believe if it had an expression pedal built in I may have bought one already.

3. Ash Telecaster

Yah, all these fly rig style pedals lack a rocker pedal.

4. Ash Telecaster

A few additional thoughts...

Both rigs have analog od/dist sections. Demos seem to slightly favor the Cerberus but both sound pretty good.

The Cerberus has more mod effects, 6 vs 3, and they seem to be better based on demos but the Red Truck effects sound good and usable.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. Ash Telecaster

BUmp, I'm surprised these aren't more popular.

6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

I know I'm diverging - or expanding - but I was facing the same decision and got the Black Truck because it had a compressor and an eq. (There are some other differences; I might have preferred the distortions on the Red Truck, but for this set of gigs that wasn't so important.) I really liked the original (Tech 21) fly rigs, but none of them have tremolo, my most useful mod.
    In person (January NAMM) I was a little less impressed by the Cerberus, but it was a close call. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Mooer. Whichever you get will probably do the job.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  7. Ash Telecaster

Thanks KLyon. It was the analog drives that make both an option for me. That has been the big negative in most the digital pedals I tried.

What I am currently struggling with is the Cerberous is 12.5" wide which will fit comfortably in my guitar bag pocket. However I like the layout of the Red Truck better. I suspect it also has a better tuner.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The NUX Cerberus is very dark-sounding. Although it does have IR capabilities, but I haven't messed with that at all. Bottom line, I just couldn't coax any brilliance or sparkle from it.

If the MOOER Black Truck is any indication, I wouldn't recommend the Red Truck. Noisy and cheap-static-ey sounding.

I wanted to love both of these units, but both the Mustang Floor and the VOX Valvetronix ST Tone Lab are much more to my liking, for actual sounds produced. The Floor has a cheap/flimsy power supply, though

9. blowtorch

The NUX actually sounded great, just very very dark-sounding, even with highs on it cranked and bass lowered. It might sound awesome through a typical bright Fender amp with a strat or tele. I don't think it was built with buckers or P90s in mind

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  10. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I've got the Red Truck and I like everything about it.

11. Ash Telecaster

Very interesting. THe first unit I had considered was the ST. The thing that threw me off it was some bad press, a friend who didn't like his (doesnt have it any more), and every sample of the wah sounded terrible. The others dont have a rocker pedal but it seemed off that Vox could produce a bad sounding wah. It made the rest of the pedal seem dubious.

You can get those things cheap and they even look cool!

Somebody else suggested a Boss GT-1. It is small, inexpensive, and has a rocker pedal. Demos sound pretty good. I just worry about digital overdrives. I had a modeling pedal back in tthe day and learned to hate it. So my opinion may be unfairly jaded.

12. blowtorch

Yeah the ST is known for being problematic. Yet I've never had a problem with mine. At one time I liked it so much I got a 2nd one, for backup. I'm not a big wah guy, but I use the wah on it from time to time and it sounds good to me

I used it just yesterday at a band prac and it worked great.

13. Ash Telecaster

I found good deals on both the Cerberus and the GT-1. I couldn't decide so I bought them both.

Pro lem solved!

blowtorch likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

I have a Red Truck and though it sounds good, there are two gripes I have about it.

1. The tuner drifts and sometimes is not that accurate.

2. It’s impossible to balance the volume equally in the effects all the way through the pedal

I also have a Tech 21 Fly Rig, which I run off a rechargeable 12vDC power pack (pic below), both mounted in a Lexan board. It does not have the options the RedTruck does, but it sounds great and the volume is easy to balance through the effects. Drop it on the floor, plug in a guitar and amp, and go. It fits in a 15” laptop bag.

upload_2019-10-20_21-47-35.jpeg

Ash Telecaster and Stiles like this.
  15. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Nice setup.

Peegoo likes this.
  16. blowtorch

I was checking out the GT-1. Sounds good, but I like the ability to twist knobs for adjustments onstage if I have to, rather than scrolling through menus. Also I prefer more switches for access to more presets, without having to switch up or down to "banks".

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it and the NUX, though

17. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

The Cerberus looks pretty cool. I like the mod options more than the red truck. I was watching a video of the Jam Pedals Pink Flow this morning thinking that the form factor was a great idea but the price was wack. Either one of these would solve that issue.

18. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I never tried the Cerberus but i did try the Red Truck and i didn't like it, so i would suggest you the Nux but if you can spend a little bit more get the Boss ms-3, it is a wondeful unit, you can do all with that guy....

19. Ash Telecaster

That is sooooo cool! It would have worked. I hadnt considered using a loop switcher. Probably would have been the smart buy. Looks like its really built well too. I bought both, the GT-1 and the Cerberus and planned on selling whichever I dont keep. The MS-3 looks awesome. Once again a day late and a dollar short.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I will sell both and get that instead!

20. Ash Telecaster

That is very slick!

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.