1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

red plate tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by popthree, Jan 26, 2021.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

are power tubes inherently damaged after redplating? what about multiple red plate events on the same pair of tubes? in this case, a pair of groove tubes el84's that were once in a problematic blues junior that kept red plating them. tubes were replaced along with solder joints all reworked to correct the problem.

the bj is long gone, but i kept the old groove tubes and just threw them back in a drawer. some years later came into another amp that uses el84s and i stuck the old GT's in it. they seem to be working ok but the amp isn't particularly loud. i'm wondering if i'm running on compromised tubes.

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You've stumbled onto a business opportunity. Use the Blues Jr to beat up some tubes ... sell 'em to players who want their amp to be quieter for "bedroom" use.

Wally likes this.
  3. popthree

I ordered some mullards

4. popthree

The old groove tubes have some char on the glass

Attached Files:

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It depends on how much redplating and how long. A little bit of red hint for several minutes, you're fine. A LOT for a short time where the whole thing turns red, not ideal. Enough to char the glass is probably not ideal either, but could still have some life left. If they sound good it certainly won't hurt anything to use them.

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Had a decent-sounding matched pair of Russian-made Tung-Sols that had one of them red plate. Trying to salvage the better one I put it in a single ended amp. It red plated. Both ended in the trash. Sad day.

7. popthree

i received the new mullards today and stuck them in there. i can't really tell a difference over the old GT that have redplated at least a half dozen times. ha. i guess it doesn't hurt to have an extra set of tubes laying around just in case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.