Red 13; New Thinline Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Crafty Fox, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

My first build in 2 years! 'Red 13' because its my thirteenth guitar build and Red because........
    American white ash body with figured Tasmanian oak neck and flame jarrah fretboard.
    NOS Bill Lawrence mini humbuckers with push-pull coil splits on the T & V controls. Fender tuners and hardtail Strat bridge. Switchcraft toggle and jack through Elctrosocket. Nitro finish finish finish.
    It should have been completed months ago but I wasn't happy with the colour spread. It wasn't quite even and became more noticeable when buffed. So I sanded back to bare wood and refinished till happy, then dropped the body onto brick paving. :eek: The binding took the brunt of the damage. So I replaced some binding and re-refinished the body.
    I've always liked a Tele with a Strat neck which I first saw on Clapton's Blind Faith Hyde Park concert. No, I wasn't there but I saw all the photos in the UK music papers at the time.

Attached Files:

2. Model T

Model T Tele-Holic

:eek: Nice!

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Very nice!

4. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Very cool. Love the grain and finish.

5. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice Tele!

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice one, Crafty... :cool:

those red ones love the concrete..... I was wet sanding this ready to polish..flipped it up on edge to do that on the padding I had on the bench..which had slid forward a bit...... and it fell straight onto the concrete at my feet..chipped the clear back to the wood.......:eek::cry:

awww.. stained wood with clear on top is hard to patch....:lol:

Attached Files:

7. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful gutiar!

8. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Here I was thinking there was going to be a Final Fantasy reference...

Beautiful guitar!

9. Lostininverness

Lostininverness Tele-Meister

That's a fantastic build, loving the colour, nice job.

How do you find the jarrah for fret boards? I've scored a few t&g boards from the father-in-law, so far used some for a laminated neck.

10. Glide88

Glide88 TDPRI Member

Gorgeous!!

what a fine piece of equipment you have crafted. .... looks like a candied apple ... does it sound as you had hoped?

11. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Yeah, that looks great. I too am intrigued with the jarrah fretboard. A lot of Australian timbers are too hard for most elements of guitar building but probably a nice ebony substitute (for hardness anyway) for fretboards. And how come I never find flamed Tassie oak - that's gorgeous!

12. Crafty Fox

Thank you for the kind comments all.

trev333, it was an 'OH GOSH'! moment.......my wife was within earshot!

Lostininverness (butfoundinglasgow?), & ModernGuy, the jarrah is certainly hard enough but usually too heavy for anything other than the fretboard. I've also used WA sheoak which I love. Even built a sheoak acoustic about 2 years ago.
    You might find figured Tassie Oak in Bunnings over east. Haven't seen it in their WA stores but I've heard of its ES availablity. I got it more by chance a while back when I was building something out of Tas Oak & Sheoak for my daughter.

Glide88, sounds just what I wanted and expected; I used the same pickups etc in The MacassarCaster a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  13. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks fantastic!!!

14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very professional C.F. Beautiful instrument!

DC

15. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Simply Lovely!

16. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

THAT'S one purdy guitar!

17. Lostininverness

more like Nowfoundinchristchurch! But never managed to drive in Glasgow without getting very lost!!

did you just work your way through the grits to get that nice shine to the board?

I've been trying to find local alternatives to the traditional guitar woods, more NZ than OZ woods because we have the rugby world cup again (....ok, so not relevant but thought I'd drop in it), got I've managed to get a a sleeper sized chunk of ironbark to look at as well. Ever tried that for a board?

18. Crafty Fox

No, never tried or even seen ironbark. I believe you have some awesome woods over in NZ. Wouldn't mind trying some of them out. I've got a few Kiwi mates who bring Paua shell back for my inlays.
    Ahh, rugby, it's almost a pleasure to get beaten by the All Blacks! A painful pleasure. A friend of ours is the cousin of a certain Mr McCaw.

19. Lostininverness

I think ironbark is one of the eucalyptus types? When cut it starts off a purple colour which fades in intensity a bit - but very cool colour.

yeah we do, and I have trouble with the idea of adding colour to some of them to enhance the grain. But otherwise all my builds will end up only being wood colours. I cut up a piece of black maire for fret boards over the weekend - fantastic grain - looks like some of the great timbers that I see on the forum here.

Nice!! Do you think Ritchie will become the new "5 degrees of separation from" person??

20. Crafty Fox

Nice!! Do you think Ritchie will become the new "5 degrees of separation from" person??[/QUOTE]

2 degrees.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.