*Rectifier Tube Question*

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MerleJam, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM.

1. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Was looking at the tubes that came with my used Bugera BC30 and the rectifier tube is a Magnavox 5Y3GT and the amp calls for a 5AR4. Is this a problem? Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance on the topic, as I’m sure this is common knowledge.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup. Amp will behave different, and it's possible there is too much voltage/filtering for a 5y3 there.

MerleJam likes this.
  3. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Hmm. Not good. I reckon it’s time to order a new tube lol. It has the option to run 1 5ar4 or 2 5v4G. Is there major tonal differences in those setups?

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The 5V4 drops more voltage than does the GZ34/5AR4. That rebiases every tube in the circuit, and the Sonics are affected.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

5y3 in an amp with four el84s is little over taxed, probably a lot over taxed.
    That amp has a half power switch right? If that cuts two el84s off then a 5y3 would be more in its realm. That could be what the last guy was thinking, plus it'd drop some voltage and sag more than a GZ34.
    But I don't know if the half power switch cuts two power tubes out, some don't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.