Rect-O-Verb 25 head vs Rect-O-Verb 50 mkII combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cysquatch, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Hey all, looking for a little advice on the possibility of swapping out my Recto 25 head for the 50 watt combo. Found a nice condition combo for $700 local and am considering getting that and selling the head. A combo would be mighty handy vs the head and cab combo, however the 50 watts may be more than I'll ever need as even on just 10 watts, the head can get pretty dang loud. But, the combo does come with a black shadow speaker which I quite like, the solo boost, and 3 voicing second channel.

For those that have used the combos, does the combo's 3 voicing second channel really add much more use vs the vintage/modern gain channel of the head? And how useful is the output control? I'm assuming it's going to rob just as much tone as any universal master might, especially if I'm trying to rein 50w down to comfortable practice/small gig volumes. Am I fool for expecting that knob to make it a tameable beast with good low-mid volume tones?

Any advice or experience is more than welcome.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

No help here, because I’ve only owned Mark series Boogies. I’m definitely a combo guy so that’s the way I would go.

Not sure how many Mesa users here, you might check the “Amp Owners Clubs” for more specific Mesa amp help.

3. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

That's a good idea, I'll have to check that out man. Thanks for the tip.

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Also check out the “Boogie Board Forum” and “The Gear Page”. More Mesa users.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Do you mean the Single Rectifier combo? Any Mesa 50 watt is a freakin loud amp. If 10 watt is too much 50 you will struggle to use. The third voice? If you do a lot of recording might be useful. I like Mesas but often the channels do one or two good sounds you will use all the time.

Bigger Mesas are like big Fenders - hard to move. That's why it's so cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.