Recrown, refret or Replace?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WelshBluesMan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

I've putting this off for too long, and it's time to bite the bullet and get something done about the worn out frets on my Standard Tele.

The question is, should I have the frets crowned, go for a full refret, or just buy a new neck? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

1619664_1582065038703563_4944221743117852833_n.jpg

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow! That's some serious divotage, but very big frets. Hard to say is that could be recrowned from here.

3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Is there room to even have a recrown? If so, go that route. Otherwise you can buy a new Fender neck for $200ish. A complete refret is gonna cost ya about that much.

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like there’s plenty of meat there for at least one more level and crown.

5. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Nope, no room for recrown. Refret!

6. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Refret with harder wire, find someone reputable and should be fine.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

First, my hat is off to the OP, those frets show a lot of playing by someone who knows their way around a fretboard.
    Second, if you could level and crown those frets, they may be about half as high as you’re use to.
    If you like that neck, and all evidence would indicate you do, then a refret is most called for.
    Find a good tech and get it refretted, and you get to start over again fresh as a daisy.

8. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

How to you make divots like that?
    I've never seen such depth but narrow width.
    Mine are always much more shallow in profile and spread out wider with a gentler side-to-side tapering.
    I always figured the bending, and sideways wobbling did the carving.
    Do you capo a lot, or use super hard strings, or fret really really really hard??

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

If you love the neck, re-fret it. If you don't love it, find one you like better. Hard to tell from a top view, but I'm guessing there's not enough metal left for a re-crown. Remember, you need to grind everything down to the lowest point of the deepest ditch.

mogul_2156261a.jpg

WelshBluesMan likes this.
  10. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

if you love that neck get a refret I think you may be pushing it to get a recrown out of that

11. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Re-Fretting - I've had it done on a few guitars and it's always been a good experience. It will feel just like your guitar, broken in already etc... but with a way smoother energy!

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, Wow! How hard do you fret? And you said it's long overdue, so how long did it take to do that kind of wear and tear? My oldest tele I've had for 10 years come July, and I thought I was heavy-handed, but I don't have that kind of wear on mine. Granted, I've got 4 teles, and 10 guitars overall, so the wear and tear gets spread around. I had my go-to gigging acoustic/electric recrowned after playing something like 500 gigs. But I agree with others: refret.

13. WelshBluesMan

I think a lot of it is down to playing rhythm parts around the first three frets, and a fair bit of capo work around the the third and fifth frets. Further up the wear is much gentler, more from lead playing. I've played this guitar almost every day since I bought it new 11 years ago.

I should point out that the photo is about 2 years old, so it probably looks a bit worse now.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Re fret for sure vs crowning. Unless you like Gibson Fretless wonder feel. :>)
    You dont mention what guitar year etc, but I would just buy a genuine new Fender neck which are $200 now. Hard to beat that.

15. WelshBluesMan

Here's a better photo.
    10172852_1606872082889525_4815347555450678325_n.jpg

16. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Save the neck as a badge of honor. Change to a new neck with stainless steel frets.

17. WelshBluesMan

The daft thing is... Fender only sell the MiM Standard Telecasters with maple boards, yet they only seem to do replacement necks with Pau Ferro. Why not just offer both as an option, whether buying a whole guitar or just the neck? They obviously make both.

18. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

A new neck is cheaper if you go the 'Fender licensed' route and can do the setup work needed. Stratosphere has Tele necks for around $120 & up. They will need tuners and a nut and likely some fret leveling.

19. WelshBluesMan

It's a MiM Standard 2007 model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.