1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording ??

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by nogin007, Jan 9, 2013.

1. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

I've been reading reviews of some of the digital recorders with built in CD burners. What I want to do is record 8-10 songs, just voice and guitar, and make a CD. I'm not real good at technical things, and wonder if some of these units will do a good job. Anyone used anything like this? And can anyone give any recommendations? This is just for me to play around with for amusement. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

It will be easier to use a computer program like Reaper or Audacity with an interface. Presonus, Maudio and Avid all make fairly inexpensive ones.

3. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

What 6Shotsdown said. Get Reaper then use the CD burner on your PC. You can get one the digital recorders with a built in burner for a few hundred bucks. The suggested way would cost as little as $60 for Reaper and maybe $100 for an inexpesive interface. I'm assuming you have a CD burner on your PC, but if not they cost very little (20 bucks).

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really know if that would be any easier. It's what I would do but I don't think it's easier. The all in ones are fine. Portastudio with a burner basically.

5. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

Well, editing and mixing, I think, are easier. But I was mainly referring to the music already being in digital format on the computer. Then CD's can be bypassed.

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Its in digital format on the standalone too. You just hook monitors to it. You can mix and edit right there. You use real faders instead of a mouse. That said you can get a new interface for less money and usually come with cubase lite or something like that. $150 won't usually buy a well used standalone. Who'd a thunk it? $150, a mic and a computer "i bought a recording studio on the way home...."

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Computer-based gives you more flexibility down the road as well. What might start out as "voice and guitar" can easily morph into "voice and guitar... with harmonies," and then "voice and guitar with harmonies... and a second guitar..."

And then before you know it you're off to the races with drool on your chin and your credit card in your hand looking for the perfect compressor, the best reverb, oh, maybe some drums for that one song that would be served well with a solid rhythm track....

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're set on going the all in one route, the Stupid Deal at MF today is a Tascam all in one jobbie.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

That looks badazz. And a great price.

10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I had several Tascam units in the tape days and liked the way they work. I've also used a couple of digital all-in-ones and my main beef was working in those tiny windows, memorizing a zillion key commands and lots of menu-diving. YMMV!

11. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I have not used one of these but they look kind of cool. 8 track digital recorder that also works as a control surface and audio interface for your DAW. No cd burner but it has an SDHC slot. Street price $300, they also have 16 and 24 track versions. http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r8

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.