Recording your bands live shows.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jglenn, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Our drummer has been taping our live shows this year,maybe 10 shows.Just a camera on a stand so not great sound quality.But man,what a handy tool for me to learn from.Was watching a tape of us outdoors at a small local fair,and I remember hating my sound,and missing a bunch of notes,but the band was good overall.On the tape,it was one of the best sounds I ever got,didnt hear my flubbed notes,and it all looked pretty darn tight.Guess I am seeing what the crowd sees and hears,what a difference!Have learned from these tapes to play fewer fills,and blend with the keys better,mostly on the newer tunes.Great tool for learning.Highly recommended.

2. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

Definately an excellent reality check.

But realize that the mess ups are more noticed by yourself than the audience. Generally, the average person wants to absorb the mood and ambience. They are not particularly interested in the anomolies.

Musicians on the other hand, are frequently critical of the quality of our execution of the program. Yet, often they ae not the ones buying the drinks and supporting the venue.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's just like football teams watching tape. Video or even just audio is a great thing for a band to study.

And I'm guilty too of thinking I was worse than I was. I remember a studio session recently where I thought I blew a solo totally. I wanted to redo it, producer said no, it's really good. Played it back, it wasn't what I had meant to do at all, so in the moment, it sounded bad to me. I had to admit upon listening to it back though, it was outside of my usual thing, and sounded pretty cool.

Then there have been those other times seeing or hearing myself play... Let's not talk about those...:oops::lol:

4. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

I remember reading once that Jon Bon Jovi would watch the footage of the concert he'd just played as soon as he got on the bus afterwards, to keep on top of things. Not sure if that's true.

My band videotaped out last show, and got together a few days later to sit down and watch it. We all learned a whole bunch about what was and wasn't working musically, visually, set flow-wise etc. I don't know that we'll do that for every show but certainly every couple of months it's a good idea.

Audio recordings are good too; I taped this same band's first couple of shows (we're a pretty new outfit) so I could look after trouble spots.

5. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Better to be pleasantly surprised than the other way around, which i suspect might be more common. It has been in my case :oops:

6. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Usually you find that you sound better than you remember, but don't look as cool as you thought.

7. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

I find it's a good think to do, but will only watch the video once. Anymore than that and I start to obsess over the little stuff. And afterall, the audience only had a chance to watch it once, so if things to don't obvious the first time then everything was great.

8. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Yep.

:eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.