Recording with the SCXD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by davidchagrin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

This evening, I began some rough draft recording with my Super Champ XD for the first time. Just to test it out, I'm using one guitar(my Peavey T-style) and only the SCXD. No additional guitars, amps, or effects. I want to hear how the different voicings of the amp will alter the perception of the equipment being used.
    So far, I've only put in about an hour or so. I created a rhythm guitar track using the acoustic simulation(voice 16) and spring reverb at level 3. Then, I laid down a second guitar/lead track using channel 1 with spring reverb at level 5. I plan to add some overdriven/distortion rhythm guitar parts. Also to come will be the addition of a bass guitar with the vibrotone or chorus effect.
    When I'm finished, I'll upload the finished recording to the TDPRI.

I should mention that recording equipment being used is an old Peavey instrument mic(with an old mic cable) into an M-Audio FastTrack into my Acer netbook. The recording software being used is Audacity 1.3beta.

What is your experience with home recording using the Super Champ XD?
    How does it fare with other amps you've used?
    Does anyone have suggestions for home recording with the SCXD?
    Other comments/questions?

2. davidchagrin

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the post and sample recording!

4. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

I get the best, most clear results from mine by using the line out straight into my audio interface. I tried a bunch of different mic positions and mics, and this sounded best to my ears.

I find it records pretty well!

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Sounds very nice, actually! Not crazy about the acoustic setting, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten that one right! Like the second guitar's tone, almost Hawaiian in sound-maybe on the next pass, play those lines with a slide?

This is making me think more and more that I should consider a SCXD for a small gig amp...

Franc Robert

6. CC51

CC51 TDPRI Member

could this amp cut through live drums and bass for small bars...no pa for guitar....amp alone?

7. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I've heard people doing just that with these amps, so I'd say the answer is YES!!!!

Franc Robert

8. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

I don't think that 16 is an acoustic simulation. I believe it's an emulation of an acoustasonic amp. It sounds great with an acoustic guitar and an electric with piezo.

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I have had good success recording a few tracks with my Vibro Champ XD. Just miced it with a 57, and mostly used blackface and tweed tones with spring reverb setting.
    It sounded really good, and I was pleasantly surprised. There are tracks coming up where I will utilize it again for a few more distict tones, like vibratone, and voice 7.
    I mostly use my Princeton Amp for recording now, but will use the VCXD any ol time with no worries.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I borrowd my friends SCXD for just that reason to see if it could cut it playing a gig with my band (I play either a DR or a Blues Jr.), a blues-roots band that is guitar (me), bass, drums, and harmonica and the amp did just fine. Now we don't play that loudly in this regular lounge (most of the time!) and we only use the PA for vocals-but I could have always stuck a mic in front of the amp but did not need to for this gig. Love this little amp and wanna get one!

11. davidchagrin

Good feedback so far... keep it coming!
    thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.