1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

recording with an ipad

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by fakeocaster, Jul 28, 2013.

1. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Im thinking of buying an ipad for a number of reasons

has anyone got experience of home recording with one?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have Garageband and some Amplitube apps on mine, but I only really use it as a notepad for getting ideas down when I don't feel like leaving the couch. It's obviously limited in what it can do compared to a DAW on a more powerful computer, but it's also light years beyond the cassette four track recorder that I started out on back in the day.

3. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

4. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hi Richard

Here's the kit I used:

Ipad mini
    Garageband
    Blue microphones yeti

http://bluemic.com/yeti/

Apple USB camera connector kit

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Amplitube iRig

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

Here's how the garageband interface looks on the ipad:

image-1435922457.jpg

The first thing I recorded was the seagulls and water splashing. This is track 1 on the picture. I recorded about 40 seconds using the iPad's built in mic and then looped it to cover the length of the track.

Next I recorded the acoustic guitar. This is tracks 2 and 3 (2 takes to get it right). I have a Taylor electro acoustic. The way I recorded this was to use the blue yeti going into the ipad via the camera connector and also plugged the guitar's pickup output into my mac (using the mac version of garageband). Crucially I hit record on the ipad and the mac simultaneously. This way when I play I get two slightly different recordings of the same guitar part. I then mixed one in the left channel and the other in the right. You don't have to do this extra part and you could use any recording software on a mac or PC to get the second track. You could always just copy the first track and play with reverbs etc to get a similar result just using the ipad.

Next I recorded a bass part using a bass plugged into the ipad using the irig. This bass track didn't make it into the final mix.

After that I recorded the vocals again using the blue yeti and the camera connection kit. I ought to say that when you plug it in the ipad flashes a message up saying that the yeti draws too much power and can't be used. Hit OK and it works fine.

Next on was the strings (labelled romantic on the picture).This is garageband's 'smart strings' and I essentially just hit the chords I wanted and it plays a nice strings riff on the chord.

image-1189691642.jpg

After that I recorded the lead guitar using irig and garageband's built in amps. I settled on the AC30 with some delay but you can change it after recording if you change your mind:

image-4027211790.jpg

That was all the recording done. I exported the whole thing through iTunes to my mac and then did the final mix on Garageband for mac. You could do it on the ipad but I find the ipad is best as a mobile recording suite and the mac is best for final mixing.

Hope this helps, and glad you liked the song.

David

5. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Thanks a mil for that

Does garageband create drum tracks if you need them to?

6. SCF313

SCF313 Tele-Meister

Yes, drums are available in garageband for the iPad.

7. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

There's quite a good vid here showing someone building a track starting with the 'smart drums' instrument:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CEuuVab2M

He doesn't explain anything but essentially when you are building a drum loop you set the tempo, time signature and what type of kit you want to use. Then you drag the drums you want to form the loop. The further to the left they are, the simpler the rhythm and the further to the right, the more complex. The nearer to the top of the screen, the louder and nearer the bottom, the quieter.

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno, it looks pretty kool to me ! A great way to start recording...

9. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

It's not like recording with a more full-on setup, but it works great for what it is. I like Apogee interfaces, and they have a bunch now that work with iPad as well as with OSX. I use mostly GarageBand also, because the projects can be opened in Logic Pro when you move them to a Mac - that's really what makes the whole thing work for me. There are other iPad multitrack apps, like Auria, which looks cool, but I haven't tried it http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.