recording system for old analog guy

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I used to be an analog guy, too. At some point in the last decade it actually became harder to hold onto the old paradigm than it was to learn the new one. Don't be afraid, it's really not that hard and the advantages are tremendous. You can make it as easy or as convoluted as you want.

About 100 years ago indoor plumbing became a thing, but I guess some people still insisted on going outdoors to take a crap.
Naah, ain't no thang. "Analog" is working fine for now. Recording is only a small part of the pic for musicians, a tool to record a performance. Recording is a means to capture music, that is all it is for some. If your gig is engineering, and recording for multiple clients, that's a different story. Composing, arranging and rehearsing is what we do. When it comes time to record, we just set up mics, direct injects and push the record button, count it off and play. Editing is not a huge production.If there is a mistake, we do another take, redo an entire individual track or punch in to fix it. Effects are minimal, a little goes a long way. A bit of compression, delay, reverb, maybe chorus or double tracking. Most of these effects can be had outboard with pedals, rack effects, mic preamps or in an all in one like a Tascam 24. Mics for vocals, drums and guitar. Direct inject for bass and keys. I guess it depends on what your doing. For pop, rock, blues, roots music, Americana, R&B, funk and jazz it's pretty basic. No loops, maybe a click track or scratch drum machine part that gets erased. All parts get played by live players. Once tracking is done, mixing can be done on the board or exported as a digital file if you're not doing your own mixing. S'all good. Remind me again when it is "about 100 years ago" that digital recording became a thing.

Last edited:

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Don't overly complicate it. Do something simple but effective and efficient.
Standalone recorder are still available and are relatively uncomplicated.
Garageband on iPad will work with a decent interface.
Any DAW software will get the job done.

What are your needs and goals? Recording a band? Recording yourself where you lay down most of the tracks?
None of it that complicated although some may have a steeper learning curve.

Strarcries

TDPRI Member
Ben Harmless nailed it.... really.... all I'm looking for is the interface, and a simple mix capability. I don't really need all the fancy editing things, I can lay down the tracks how I want them.
You might be interested in Bandlab. They bought out Cakewalk and their DAW is Cakewalk's Sonar Platinum. It's a good DAW and easy to understand. I purchased Sonar Platinum at $50 a month for a year. A-holes shut down and went out of business a month after it was paid for.