1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording live in the studio

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by BostonTeleGuy, Jan 24, 2021.

1. BostonTeleGuy

BostonTeleGuy TDPRI Member

Hi All,
    Im going to be recording some guitar instrumentals ( blues ) with my trio in a couple of months. We are thinking about recording it live with all of us ( amps also ) in the same room. In the past when I have recorded I have often used my Sf Deluxe reverb which would be in an iso box or different room. This trio has upright bass so if I set the DR to 6-7 to get dirt for a tune, its going to mess up the dynamics of the group by being too loud in the same room. Live and rehearsals I use a blues driver OD and it really sounds good and keeps the volume right but I think the DR cranked is better. I dont have a champ or princeton. Any thoughts?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I personally would use the Blues Driver as IMO, that is the magic of that particular pedal- the ability to give you a 'cranked Fender amp' tone ( when using a Fender) at a quiet volume, be able to set that volume- and control clean and dirty from your guitar Volume knob.

It has just worked for me many years live and in studio.
    No apologies for my using this pedal vs. just a cranked Fender.
    I've never felt there has been a compromise in tone, because of using this great OD- real dynamics , no BS

* How many times have you seen a pedal demo, where the player says

"The beauty of this pedal is that it really cleans up when you turn your guitar volume down!"

But when they turn down, all the distortion is still there, it's just quiter.

The Blues Driver ( say all controls at NOON and just left ON) really cleans up with volume down, gets naturally dirtier as you turn up.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    BostonTeleGuy likes this.
  3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Since you're used to it, stick to the OD and keep it low in volume. just enought to get all the members into a good live feel.
    record your guitar straight through DI-box and don't even bother to listen to it.
    later on you can re-amp the track through your SF Deluxe and crank the heck out of it, save it to another track.

good luck

BostonTeleGuy likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I assume you are mic'ing the amp? Put the amp in the adjacent hall and use the door as a baffle to select how much volume you want in the room.

Bob

Norris Vulcan and McGlamRock like this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

This scenario is precisely why attenuators are deployed.

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the bass can have a mic or
    does the instrument have a pickup on it?

You can isolate the bass on a separate track
    and just add it in as needed on a mix down.

If you have the equipment, you should just mic
    everything and play live as usual then mix to your heart's
    content. Don't forget to use a room mic to capture
    what close mics don't hear.

7. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I’d be looking for screens to prevent the amps bleeding onto the acoustic mic’d stuff too much. Are you recording multitrack or straight to stereo? If multitrack, is it likely you’ll need to replace any guitar parts played live? If so, you’ll need to be mindful of bleed on drums and bass mics

8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Live recording is good if everyone can execute without mistakes.

I’d use a SF Deluxe Reverb modeling pedal into the SF Deluxe Reverb. This can up the overdrive at low volumes still sounding like a genuine cranked SF Deluxe Reverb.

Then I’d use amp and speaker modeling in the DAW to overcome impacts to the SF Deluxe Reverb sound from micing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.