Recording King: Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tarnisher, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I bought a Recording King RPS-9P-TS Dirty 30'S on Easter. I was looking for a guitar with the vibe and sound of an old catalog guitar, but with modern features like an adjustable truss rod. This seemed perfect, and affordable to boot. I bought it and had a setup done by a trusted luthier. He had to do quite a bit of fret dressing to get rid of some buzzes, but when I brought it home it played like a dream. I love the sound- way louder and fuller than on a lot of more expensive instruments.

Sadly, the honeymoon soon ended. The action started to come up gradually. I thought it was just increasing humidity, so I tweaked the truss rod, but that didn't help. I took it back to the luthier who did the setup, and he showed me that the tops was bulging behind the bridge. I'd read that they had some issues with bridge lift on these in the past. Well, that's certainly not a problem on this one- it's on so securely that it's pulling the top of the guitar up, just like if you pinched a sheet and pulled it up.

My luthier thinks it's due to the lack of finish on the guitar. They stained a lovely sunburst, but there is literally no varnish at all, and that makes it more prone to this kind of thing. They probably cut some corners in bracing as well.

I've learned my lesson: no more sub $300 acoustics for me.

brbadg likes this.
  2. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

A neighbor who was moving away gave me a recording king because he always saw me playing on the porch and he didn’t play. He said it spent most of its life in Arizona and it showed. Two big cracks on the top. I put it in a case with a humidifier and put new strings on it a week later. Great guitar. Played it hard and traded it for a Bosch jigsaw about a year later. Always regret that trade. But I have 11 acoustics and only one jigsaw.

4. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Contact them. They are known to take care of problems by replacing guitars. I had one that the bridge lifted on. They were going to replace it. I just had it glued back down because I had installed a pickup in it and it was an easier route for me. I would be surprised if they didn't take care of it.

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere, TigerG and Suproman like this.
  6. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Any guitar going through changes in temp and humidity can get this problem... I doubt lack of finish is the issue, but I recommend contacting them.

howardlo likes this.
  7. Tarnisher

I talked GC into giving me store credit. I decided I'd rather buy my next $200 of accessories from them than deal with issues on this thing. Maybe it was just this one, but I don't feel like taking a chance on another. I bought it to have a workhorse that I didn't have to worry about on tour. I'm leaving next week, so I don't have time to deal with it. I'm just going to take my Larrivee and hope nothing happens to it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one of those and love it . I just use 11's on it

9. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

So you claim to have had a problem with one unit and we’re supposed to beware the whole brand? Ok then.

nojazzhere and howardlo like this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have 3 RKs.
    Never has a single problem with any of them.

nojazzhere, howardlo and TelePunkJCM like this.
  11. Tarnisher

I’m not sure if they don’t finish all their guitars, but they don’t finish this model, and my luthier believes that’s an issue. So yes, my advice is to be aware that this may be a problem. I’m not ranting about the company and insulting people who buy their products. I’m merely reporting my experience to help other people make informed decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    screefer likes this.
  12. Tarnisher

Great! I wish you many years of happy playing on them! I wish I’d had a similar experience.

13. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I have had 4, still have 2 (not this model though). No issues whatsoever. What gauge strings are you using?

14. Tarnisher

12’s. Maybe it would have been ok with 11’s, but if it can’t take 12’s they should put a big earning tag on it.

15. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

This is a sample of ONE.

I'm sorry you've had this problem, but there are scores and scores of very good sub-$300 acoustic guitars that will hold up and sound and play nice.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  16. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Including, you know, Recording King.

OP I also think it’s more likely your luthier is talking out of his posterior, or that you misunderstood, than that the company forgets to apply finish to their guitars.

davenumber2 likes this.
  17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sometimes, squit happens. The lack of finish has little to nothing to do with the price of herrings, red or not. I've never seen an acoustic with a varnished interior, so there's always a humidity path via the interior.
    It'll be finished. There are some very subtle finishes out there. For a sub £/$300 you can rely on while ever there's tides in the sea, Yamaha. Just like nobody ever got fired for buying IBM in the past, nobody has a really bad word to say about Yamaha.

18. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I am still trying to wrap my head around the connection between finish and bellying. I would probably start dealing with the issue by finding a new repair guy.

Buckocaster51 and TelePunkJCM like this.
  19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I have an ROS 16 that I absolutely love. It had a lifted bridge when I bought it. Fixed it myself and its a dream guitar.

20. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

The finish they use is a satin poly. I like to tune a half step down for less tension on the bridge and easier bends.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.