1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording Interesting Reverb

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by studio, Mar 2, 2021.

1. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have a favorite funky effect to record with?

matman14 likes this.
  2. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Weirdest one I've done was a couple of years ago. Going for a really dirty vocal, the through a harmonica mic/guitar amp, Jack White kind of thing. I got the idea to put a monitor right up on the soundboard of my upright piano, use a figure 8 to put the monitor in the null and just record all the crazy vibrations running through the strings in the piano while the vox played back in the monitor.. Played with the sustain and damping pedals, all that kind of stuff.
    It didn't make it into the final release but for that very specific case, I thought it was a neat effect, even if a bit of a pain. I'm sure my piano tuner guy would be horrified if he found out.

These days I've been using a Strymon Blue Sky as an insert on lead vocals in plate or sometimes spring mode. I like the lack of numbers or any kind of display, so you just twist knobs until it sounds right. Repeatability is a problem but snapping a pic of final settings on the phone and keeping a copy with the mix files is what I've been doing.

I've also been thinking about wiring up a speaker backwards in a cab to act as a primitive mic, and seeing what it captures sitting in the corner when drums or something are going on, but haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    studio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.