recording hardware/software bundle?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele_savales, Jul 17, 2019.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I'd like to be able to do some relatively silent recording in my apartment. I plan on getting a PC w at least 16GB Ram and 500gb or 1T of disc space.

I have some experience with Presonus interface, micing drum kits and laying tracks, mixing etc. I'd like to get at least an 8 xlr interface in case I need to mic a drumkit, and I will likely be going direct into my laptop and using plug-ins for my guitar sound, as micing my Champ much less my 100 watt Plexi will get me booted out of the building immediately.

The setup I've worked with was pieced together by my former bandmate, I know there are packages out there and I'm wondering what peoples experience with them, if any, is.

Thanks!

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

if you can't mic your amp without breakin the lease, I don't think they'll let you play drums in there. might want to rethink the reason for 8 inputs...

lots of great drum machines around, and plenty of drum/drummer plugins. and they won't sleep with your girlfriend...

24 track likes this.
  3. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

UA Arrow would be awesome if you don't need 8 inputs.

4. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Okay - subscribed -
    My metal-head nephew is coming up Sunday for dinner, and to review my purchase options.
    I loaded the free Presonus kit, but had a slow processor w/ 2 gb ram and a small HD so it went nowhere.
    If 16GB ram is the standard - so be it.
    How about processor speed and audio card specs?
    Nephew proposes one TB for HD - is this a real need or can it go to external HD.
    How about the actual spinning disc vs SSD? I've had a smaller SSD on my work-machine (primarily text-driven, document world, not vid, photos or sound) but I don't know that I've actually appreciated the "advantages" of SSD - or I'm ignorant of the benefit.

Also - Tower vs Laptop?
    It wold seem to be easier to insert/remove parts from a tower, buut harder to surf craigslist in be w/ that behemoth (or must this be a "dedicated" machine - recording only?)

Looking forward to the info dump to come.
    Peace - Deeve

5. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

If you are planning to record using a mic in the same room as the computer/interface I'd recommend getting a solid state disc for/with the PC. Also check out how loud the cooling fans are, there are some pretty near silent ones available as a retro-fit if the stock PC ones are noisy

6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Well, I ended up getting a Focusrite Scarlett. First I tried using ProTools First, but it was pretty buggy so I uninstalled it and I am fiddling with Ableton Live. Pretty fun stuff.

I also did this thing where you can create "virtual ram" by creating a partition on your hard drive, so I went from 4 GB of Ram to 8GB. Didn't even know that was possible but everything is working a lot faster and no system crashes.

The one weird thing is, no matter what I do, I can't keep the click track from speeding up and slowing down:)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  7. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

It's a drummer, nuff said [​IMG]

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I ended getting this Behringer UMC404HD with 4 midas mic pres and a recording rate 192KHZ for about the same price as the scarlet and 2 discreet set of outputs

lg_988a0b75ebda8ae37b55c4dbe0e5adb6.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.