Recording guitar without an amp? Options?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WilburBufferson, Sep 25, 2019.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The much mentioned American Sound pedal is pretty damn fine, but, mix the AS with a good D.I into decent pre-amps and away you go.

In the usual way of recommending what you use, I've had some really good results ( the playing?, perhaps less so ) with my Trio+ sending its bass and drums via an active D.I into a basic valve interface ( think Behringer UltraGain MIC 100/ART Tube MP type ) then into a Behringer Q802USB mixer/interface.
    The guitar signal goes via the Trio+ and includes a few pedals plus the Joyo AS into an active D.I with cab emulation, into another basic valve interface --> Q802USB

All that lot winds up in Audacity. It sounds complex, but isn't, and with canny second hand buying, comes in at very little coin. The AS sounds OK direct into the mixer. The AS sounds very good via the D.I. The AS sounds -spectacular- via the D.I and mic pre-amp. Silent ( aside from string clang ) practice is a three dimensional joy. My headphones coming alive.

Floor mount multi-FX units with a USB connector make for easy recording too. If you don't have the USB capability and want to use an interface, strongly consider a D.I of some description rather than going direct to the interface. It may be cognitive bias on my part, but whenever a D.I is used into a mixer or interface compared to direct to interface, it just sounds a whole step better to me. Maybe the transformer is lubing the sound with mojo extract :)

If you do buy a valve pre-amp along the lines of the Behringer or ART, replace the stock valve with a 12AU7. It makes a heck of a pleasant difference.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  2. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that tip. I recently got this and am very happy with it:

xotic-super-clean-buffer-3-400_400x.jpg

3. WilburBufferson

I owned one of these for 2 years and couldn't get past the small screen. In the end, I just got too frustrated with it and decided to move on. I do, appreciate the suggestion, however :)

4. WilburBufferson

See a few posts earlier, I am contemplating the HX Stomp for a modest version of your suggestion.

5. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

The little Yamaha THR10C sounds very good direct to an interface. Better still if you access the deep menus on the PC.

NewKid likes this.
  6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

you can download the manual from the zoom site...

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defau...ads/pdfs/R8Manual_operationManual_english.pdf

this model is still in production. quite a run...

I use this a fair bit to record guitar and you can use headphones to monitor, or open the the builtin mics and playback thru amplified speakers and record the room ambience at the same time- guitar on channel 1, builtin mics on channel2.

7. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I think that would work great. You will have the ability to use different cab's which in my opinion is one of the most import things to make sure you have right when recording with out a mic. Getting a good quality cab/impulse response makes a big difference. Good luck

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Please trust me as someone who started in pro audio sales in 1979, you already have everything you need to get started. Instead of buying something else, you need to get familiar with the set-up you already have. Will you hit stumbling blocks? Sure. Will it take you time to learn how to get the best from your recording system? Yep. Will you be able to get great results from your system? Most probably, but only if you bite the bullet and start using it.

Seriously.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  9. WilburBufferson

I think you are absolutely correct. It's the stumbling blocks, familiarity, trial and error time that frustrates me. And that's all on me -- I have limited time to dedicate to this, so screwing around with drivers and plug-ins isn't my idea of a good time.

Having said that.... this afternoon: I reinstalled Ableton to a newer version, uninstalled crap on my computer I didn't need, and set up my 2i4 with the proper drivers (with about 5 reboots here and there). Then I installed a demo version of this:

https://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-vermilion/

And worked to get the latency/sampling rate settings to a place of homeostasis. Then family bedtime routine rang true. I'll experiment with this a bit over the next few days and see if I can get her up and running.

I know. There's a learning curve to everything. Hoping to get it sorted soon, and I really do appreciate the suggestions in the meantime. :)

simoncroft likes this.
  10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

Vermilion is a steal at that price. It won't take you long to find the sweet spots.

11. WilburBufferson

And I just returned to my computer to buy the plugin and it's back to full price, just like that! Doh! Must be the time difference. Thought I would have until the end of today to cash in/out....!

12. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

It's $39 where I am, but don't let that stop you getting to work! Just plug what you've already got together and start making music. There will be frustrations along the way, but they can all be overcome. :):):)

13. WilburBufferson

Brother, I appreciate the support, thank you. AND I appreciate the time all of you have spent responding to this thread with your advice and suggestions (I"ve read them all). I extend a warm thank you from my (very warm) home studio in Toronto where it is 35C today.

Tonight, before I had to attend to family matters, I had 2 hours to get things up and running. I ditched Abelton Live for Presonus Studio One, which is working better in terms of workflow. I was able to get some good sounds, with direct monitoring, even without plugins. This might be the ticket in the short run. I may still go with Vermillion, but am still open to all options.

I have to say that the Line 6 stuff is still very appealing, but I am still in research mode, which is fine because I am a researcher in real life. :)

simoncroft likes this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Smack me for saying so, but this is the least musical thread I have encountered in ages. I guess the guitar itself has become a real inconvenience; just get a signal out of it and then play with processing. Sounds dismal, but that's just me and my weird focus on creating musical sound in a fully-responsive manner in real time. Imagine telling a violinist to just lay down the notes and we'll do the rest in production. Yes, I know I'm being a jerk, but wow -- I don't want to do, or even think about, anything mentioned here. I'd go for the simplest method possible, and even more than that, I'd go with whatever the studio guy knows how to use to get the playing experience and sound I want. Now, you kids get off my lawn!

15. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

:rolleyes:

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

You're not being 'a jerk' but you might be missing the point here. The first home recordings I did were on a stereo tape recorder. We tried every trick in the book to find a way to get 'sound-on-sound', including slipping a playing card between the tape and the erase head. By the late 1970's, you could buy a Teac reel-to-reel tape recorder that gave you four track recording. It cost £1,000 over here. That was impossible money for me.

What is there to dislike about the fact that anyone with a laptop, PC, or even iPad can record a song on multitrack, and end up with a very polished production, thanks to digital technology?

Yes, there is a need to set up a computer before it can become an efficient recording environment. After that, you are in creative heaven! Literally the last thing I recorded was about 35 minutes ago... on a Telecaster.

If none of this is for you, you really did post on the wrong thread.

17. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I'm going to throw in with the above sage advice. I go direct into my audio interface from my pedal board all the time. You can add EQ and any number of FX or sims in your DAW. I tend not to add anything other than my pedal tones. That's what I did on this track:

P.S.: I also record direct from my el cheapo Fender Mustang SS amp via USB into my DAW. Keep it simple and play more music.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's what I've been using recently, a Hotone Mojo Diamond and Binary IR Cab. I had a Mooer Radar but it got bricked by a lightning strike. I've found the Hotone IR to be much better, better stock IR's, better mics and mic placement options and better software.

20190918_195939.jpg

19. WilburBufferson

Consider yourself smacked! :) But really, I am with the import/sentiment of your post. I just don't have the opportunity to "get at it" in the way you describe. Until then, this is the road I am traveling and, so far, it's interesting and I appreciate my fellow companions.

20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Just play guitar! I hear you!
    Don't worry about intonation or sonority of your instruments, naw
    that stuff is for guys with bifocals and pocket protectors, women who use
    their fist and middle names at all times, etc.

Well, the audio engineer side of me wants to create an environment
    to capture and archive a very musical and creative idea (at all times!).

So, as I put down my guitar and ever so slowly pick up my screwdriver
    and a handful of 10/32 rack screws, I took apart a Line6 Spider 30 watt
    combo amp and yup, I racked it!

upload_2019-10-2_11-18-44.jpeg

Now it has become my go to method of recording my guitar doodles direct.
    I love to doodle with more than one medium. Wood, electronics, strings,
    percussion and cooking utensils. Yer not against those things too are ya?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.