Recording guitar without an amp? Options?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WilburBufferson, Sep 25, 2019.

1. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

For reecording straight to my computer, I use a DigTech multi effects pedal via USB into Studio One software... or a pedal via a PreSonus audio mixer. Sometimes I use Audacity.

I find the multi-effects pedal is the go-to for recording straight to the PC.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Run the line out to your interface and don't forget post editing.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Pete Anderson claims to have used a pair of early PODs for most things including live performances for the better part of a decade..

f69tele likes this.
  4. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I know this is the opposite of what you asked, but the Fender Mustang mini has the ability to plug straight into a DAW (and play without making noise in the room). It has some really good sounds. I have one myself and am amazed by what it can do.

Also, there's something like this:

I've heard good things about the Line 6 Pod Farm, but haven't used it.

5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="WilburBufferson, post: 9335463, member: 37237" At this point, yes, pretty much..../QUOTE]

Why, if I may ask? The modeling in a pedal is usually software, except I guess in the case of something analog like SansAmp. Why not just use the modeling in a plugin? You have a Focusright and Ableton, if I remember correctly from your first post. Most people would use Amplitube, S-Gear, Le Pou, etc. I recommended ToneLib GFX because it is new, free, and I think pretty amazing. Lots of hit records are made with sims, which have come a long way in sound and feel from the days of PodFarm and J-Station, both of which I have used. You have an interface and a DAW, all you need is an amp sim. Most come with tons of effects too.

6. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

The last recording I did (OK, it was a dozen years ago) I used a Behringer V-Amp straight into the recorder...

V-amp.jpg

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Scuffham S-Gear is great for this. You can download a free trial and see if it works for you. I have a Helix too, actually prefer the S-Gear tones and it's much cheaper.

8. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

I've had very good results with a Joyo AS pedal. Most often I'll put it before the pedalboard. But it's fine on it's own too.

NewKid and rze99 like this.
  9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

50$

used roland microcube

upload_2019-9-26_13-45-15.jpeg

run your pedal board into the boss microcube
    run your rec out to a small mixer (if you want volume control for your headset) and feed the mixer signal to your interface.

upload_2019-9-26_13-48-20.jpeg

10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

There are some great amp sims available as others have mentioned. Definitely good enough for scratch tracks, and for something like a Marshall sound there are some good ones. I am sure there are others, but that's what I use for amp sim sounds.
    Guitar rig as mentioned above is a good start, you can probably use a free demo to see if you like it.

11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I use a Two Notes Torpedo Captor and love it. I actually run my amps straight into it for cab sim then out through my monitors more than I use my actual cabs since I've started using it. It is an exceptional device.

Obviously, that's built to run an amplifier into, so if you want to skip that step entirely, I highly suggest looking at Two Notes' Le series of preamp pedals. I've not gotten to use one, but everything I've heard of and about them has been extremely positive and I'm inclined to believe it with how fantastic the Torpedo Captor has treated me. They are blendable dual channel, tube-powered pedal pre-amps with I/O for DI recording as well as MIDI control and headphone usage, and their excellent cab sim built in. I've been tempted to get a Le Crunch more times than I care to count.

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

American Sound pedal. 20 notes. Done.

NewKid and Mad Kiwi like this.
  13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I use Kuassa Vermillion ( thanks for the tip Woody )

tintag27 likes this.
  14. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

15. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

Have you looked into a Zoom R-8? I have one, and am pretty happy with it. I am not in any way a computer 'whiz-kid', and I can get around a lot of obstacles with this unit. Have a look-see on maybe You-Tube, or other pertinent sites. A man, Rich Menga, put out a 'manual' on it. (the one I received with the unit was in Japanese (LOL), so Rich's book was gangbusters! As for effects, this unit has a ton of them, as well as drum (Sort of 'Ehhhhh', but they do the job). A guitar/bass, this unit, and a cord will do it nicely, even for a 'genius' like me...

magicfingers99 likes this.
  16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

If you decide you might go the plug-in route, I think JamVOX is massively underrated: https://www.jamvox-online.com While the presets are pretty unsubtle, the amp and pedal models are very good. It's also cheaper and less processor heavy than AmpliTube. I have both, so no axe to grind from me.

For some time, I also had a Line6 POD HD500, and I didn't find any great difference in quality between that and the AmpliTube, so I eventually sold the Line6. Most times, I prefer the JamVOX, though.

Bearing in mind that most DAWs allow you to hear the signal from the plug-in while recording*, I wouldn't rush to assume you have to use hardware pedals. Also, I find a lot of plug-ins easier to use than multiFX units, because all the plug-in controls are shown on a computer monitor, not a small display on the unit. Even when I had the Line6 POD HD500, I programmed it through my computer, because it was easier and faster.

*Depending on the processing power of your computer, this may cause a small amount of 'latency' or delay. It's usually possible to get this down to an acceptable level by adjusting the audio Preferences of the DAW.

17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Well, after a bit more research, I started looking at plugins again. I looked at the Kuassa Vermillion (mentioned here and in other threads by Woodman), but then saw this -- it is "better" than the Vermillion? All of their stuff is on sale at the moment.

https://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-matchlock/

18. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still researching before I commit to something. This got my interest too, though it obviously does way more than I am asking about at the moment:

19. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Hmm, I feel a purchase coming on

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

If you want to use plugins to emulate amps make sure you got something buffered (can be a buffered tuner pedal like the boss) between your guitar and your audio interface. I always thought that the amps in logic sound lame until I had my sans amp fly rig (without using any of the FX) between guitar and interface. That changed everything. Has something to do with the impedance (don't ask for details, ich have no idea why).

Some interfaces have "High Z" inputs suitable to plug in passive pickups directly.

WilburBufferson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.