1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording equipment for dummies...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 17, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What do I need? The portable stuff looks nice but, I have bad eyesight and operating most of them are cumbersome for a big dummy like myself.

The Superscope stuff checks my boxes (on paper at least). I tried a Tascam DP-008ex and it made my blood pressure go up.

I will be recording an acoustic guitar and from the headphone output of my headphone amp (1/4" male> TS left/right 1/4" male).

I don't want something that requires using a computer to operate it...

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Where / how will the recordings be used?

is it for practice or sharing stuff with others... ie. do you need to mix and make a file to share?

3. DrPepper

Thanks for replying Lance. It will be for practice mainly. I'll be recording my acoustic guitar so built i mics would be nice. And I would like to be able to run my headphone amp into it. So, it needs 2 unbalanced inputs for left and right channels. It needs a play mode. Multitrack mixing capability would be nice.

4. DrPepper

I'm looking at the Superscope PMR61. looks like it would be super easy to use and I see no reason that it wouldn't work for me.

5. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I completed an entire album of original material in May 2020 using a Tascam DP-03 (8 track). Purchased from ebay for $100, it came with a case and the instructional video.

The sound quality is amazing and ease of use is it's strong point. I hate fiddling with technology and I found the demands of this machine within my low technological threshold.

It has the exact inputs you mentioned plus on board (built in) condenser mics if you wish to keep it super simple. As an added bonus there is no need to use a computer with this unit, although it has the capability if you wish.

FYI- some of the larger musical supply websites have the unit on sale at the moment.

G'luk!

DeepDangler likes this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Do you want to overdub? Ie, record acoustic and then play electric or do vocal over the top and record/hear both played back?

If so, you may better with a simpler Boss, Tascam or Zoom multitrack.

7. DrPepper

I just audition a Tascam that is the later generation of your recorder, it's just to cumbersome for me to operate and my vision is bad. I think I have found my solution in the Superscope but, would like to hear of some first hand experiences with them...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.