Recording direct is the pedal or the di box the way to go?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by diverse379, Feb 7, 2019.

1. diverse379

diverse379 TDPRI Member

hey guys I have a question about recording directly to the board.

I use a Samson direct box. Now and it works pretty well

But I am curious As to whether
    Using a pedal like the hd500

Would give me better results.

Or just mic an amp
    Or go direct out from
    The back of the amp

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

2 shure 57's, 1 on angle of choice

3. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

All of them . Different tools in the tool box.
    My choice is a ribbon mic on the cab...but I’ll also mix in another Mc or a 57 type on a doubled guitar.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Whatever gets the job done.

Dennyf likes this.
  5. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

If You don't like the sound of Your amp, then use the DI -box.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's how session guitarist Tim Pierce rigged up his home office/studio with isolation for his amps and mics.
    He's played on thousands of popular hit songs.

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

just for sh-tz &giggles trey them both and blend the sound together , there is no RIGHT way to do this!

8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

The right way is the one that results in the sound you want. Which means there's many, many wrong ways. It also means that while we can suggest solutions, it's not our ears doing the judging.

Dennyf likes this.
  9. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Just your basic home setup. Doesn't everyone have this? :rolleyes:

GuitarKid likes this.
  10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Plug ins!

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

What sounds best to you on playback is the way to go.

12. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

While its true that the "right way" is the way that you like the best, that's not always a helpful answer on an internet forum. Here's my .02:

Samson direct box - very transparent, "blank slate" guitar tone. It will likely need to be processed after recording with an amp-sim plugin or sent back out of your DAW via a reamping box to a live amp for recording with a mic. Google "reamping" if that doesn't sound familiar.

Using a pedal like the hd500 - a more "swiss army knife" approach. Depending on what settings you use on the HD500, this can function as just pure, clean guitar tone similar to what you'd get from the Samson direct box. But it can also do the whole signal chain with guitar > pedals > amp > more FX > virtual mic(s) > more FX, etc. It can also do anything in between those two extremes. For example, you could just use it for some "before the amp" FX and then record that signal and still use an amp-sim plugin in your DAW.

Or just mic an amp - Obviously this will sound like your amp :) Don't forget the importance of mic selection and mic placement.

Or go direct out from The back of the amp - This is the only option I'd typically discourage. It depends on what kind of output you have on your amp - does it have some kind of cabinet simulator? Unless its designed with the idea of recording direct in mind, its probably not going to sound that great. But hey, defying convention has yielded some of the greatest tones ever... so why not!

This may be overkill, but just for consideration, here's how I record my guitars: I run into an active Radial DI box that splits my signal - one feed goes directly to my interface/DAW and its completely clean. The other signal goes through my pedalboard and comes out in stereo after the delay and reverb. I also record this stereo signal (and I use this signal for monitoring with no latency). From there I use an amp sim and other FX inside the DAW. The nice thing with this setup though is that because I have my totally clean signal recorded, I can edit it and "fix" my screwups and send that dry signal back out via a reamp box through my pedalboard and re-record that stereo pedalboard track. This is great because its nearly impossible to edit a track that has the delay and reverb printed into it without noticeable artifacts, so having the ability to grab that clean signal and "reamp" it through just my pedalboard is great.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I stick an SM58 without the dome in front of the speak, about mid-way from the cap, with an angle, pointing to the cap or sligthly beside it, and hope for the best.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that was my point exactly , but if you need to ask the question , ......meansyou are unsure of the result , so.......theres only one way to find out experiment!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.