Recording bass at home.... Curious as to what gives you good results....

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Jun 21, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I think the title says it all. Just curious for those of you recording your bass, what has yielded you the best results?

It's probably good to know what bass you are using too.

bluesguy62 and Flip G like this.
  2. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Tech 21 VT Bass pedal is easy. At the least a quality compressor set as a limiter gets a good sound. StingRay or P bass for me.

3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I use a Harley Benton Jazz copy or Epiphone EB3 copy into my Laney bass amp which has a DI Jack, the that into my tascam DP32, records excellently and never had any probs.

68Telebass and FortyEight like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I've had the best luck with the microphone on the outside of the fish tank o_O :D

... actually just one of those 'Rocksmith' game cables direct to the computer and DAW. There are cables out there that do the same thing but are not from/for the game.

I have a moded Washburn P-bass. Converted it to a JPJ bass with a 5-way Strat switch for the usual Strat switching shenanigans. It's a fun instrument.

Most recording studios want a bass player to use a P-bass. I've heard they send session players home who show up without a P-bass pickup. So start with one of those.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  5. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

When I had to record a bass track for a few songs, the engineer asked that I record it dry...no compression or any other effects since he add them later. It sounded thin but when I heard the released track, the engineer did make it sound fuller.

DjimiWrey, TwoBear, Peltogyne and 3 others like this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Fender Precision with flats or Jazz with rounds (depending on the tone you want- Duck Dunn or Geddy Lee) into the PC interface of your choice with an SVT sim plug-in and some kind of compressor (LA2a preferred, but anything will do). Slap a little subtle flanger on it to give it some dimension if you want.

Boom, done.

Whenever I saw a precision bass come through the door of the recording studio, I knew I wasn’t gonna have to worry about getting a good bass sound. Not that I had anything against any other kind of bass, but for a solid, foundational bass tone it’s really hard to screw up with a P-bass.

7. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I typically ran through a compressor/limiter pedal and then straight into the mixing board or mic input. This was with passive PJ pickups.

TwoBear and FortyEight like this.
  8. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Fender MIM Jazz Bazz (Duncan pickups, Badass bridge) into Summit 2BA-221 Mic Pre and Summit TLA-50 tube leveler into Scarlett 18i20 into Pro Tools. The 2 Summit units are my "money channel," but without those I'd just put a Radial JDI in front of the Scarlett mic pres.

Sometimes it may be just EQ on this, other times will use the Eleven Mk II plugin for more amp-like tones.

I've also run my bass through my Tremolux head and 2x10 cab and micd it with a 57.

Hiker, Mr powers and FortyEight like this.
  9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Compression, but that may because I'm not really a bass player.

Edit: You wanted more detail, so a no name bass I bought years ago, seriously there's no name on it. I use a Premiere "Pre-73" pre amp and that straight into the board. (software DAW)
    I have compression besides the pre as well, chorus and/or fuzz if the context is correct.

FortyEight likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Tech 21Leeds straight to desk.I did an album with that. Fab pedal.

Precision, Jazz and Musicman used

FortyEight likes this.
  11. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

P Bass and a VT Bass pedal. Works for just about everything!

FortyEight likes this.
  12. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Not a bassist, but I built a pbass kit w/ Fralin pups. Love it. Anyway, I've been plugging direct into my scarlet. Bass was getting buried in the mix and since I'm fairly new to the DIY recording, I had no idea what to do about it. So I've been doubling up on the bass track and adding a bit of overdrive and compression. That helped a bit but not super happy with that method (there's got to be something I'm missing). I also started tweaking the EQ with some results, but I'm going to do a deep dive and figure out how to do it the right way.

FortyEight and Marc Morfei like this.
  13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I have a 1983 Fender P-Bass from my college band days, which I plug into my audio interface with a Radial J-48 DI box. Bass isn't my primary instrument, so I use Melodyne to tighten up the timing, and Izotope's RX8 to remove finger squeaks and other noise. Once I have those elements taken care of, I'll often run it through a Chandler Redd.47 mic pre-amp into Universal Audio's 1176 and LA-2A compressors. As the Redd.47's gain is cranked up, it starts to add a bit of distortion -- and it doesn't take much to put a little hair on the bass that allows it to cut through a mix quite nicely. Those boxes are my vocal and acoustic guitar recording signal path, but they make a phenomenal bass rig as well.

[​IMG]

(Above photo from last year, with a Warm Audio WA-2A, before the LA-2A arrived.)

[​IMG]

14. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I record with a Hofner Beatle Bass (short scale hollow bass with flat wound strings) and an Ibanez Jazz bass copy direct into the Focusrite Scarlet. The Ibanez sometimes needs a little compression and eq., but I add that with plug-ins later. I've recorded bass direct into the board/recording input for as long as I can remember and have always been happy with the results.

Matt G and Marc Morfei like this.
  15. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

I use a used Squire P Bass I picked up for $129, run thru an Acoustic 100 watt combo amp with 15 inch speaker.
    Amp has XLR line out, so use that and amp acts as a monitor and don't have to record with mics or headphones.
    I've had 2 previous Fender P Bass before (1963 and 1972) but this $129 Squire holds its own.

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I'm using an Eleven Rack for bass tracking. I go XLR into my Behringer mixer. I also tried taking the XLR out of my G-K 200MB combo to the Behringer but this has more buzzes and ground loops and isn't as tonally flexible (the 200 MB does not get into "drive" territory at all).

I have an Ibanez TMB-30 and a Carvin 34" fretless bass (model not marked, and I don't remember it). I use flatwounds exclusively for my fingers and also I just seem to like a deader tone on bass than you slappers.

Dostradamas and FortyEight like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Preamp out to LA-1A. I usually don’t put any effects direct. If something is needed I can add in a loop. But least noise is the goal. I have a lot of preamp pedals because I’m a junkie. I also have used the DI from my Mesa amp, it sounds really good.

FortyEight likes this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Jazz or Aria SB1000, Radial active DI box, to desk/interface.

Gets a strong pure tone. Rest in post processing.

FortyEight likes this.
  19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Squier P-Bass direct into interface, laptop running GarageBand. Usually with an SVT 8x10 model going. Some compression.

It does the thing.

TeleUpNorth and FortyEight like this.
  20. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Epiphone EB0 with flats, compressed to taste then direct in, then into Softube Bass Amp Room VST.

One of these days I'll probly get a rack mounted Bass Pod and switch to that, but the Amp Room is pretty dang good.

68Telebass and FortyEight like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.