1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording audio for ipad video's.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Dobronaut, May 22, 2020.

1. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

I've started video recording some of my performances at home for posting on Facebook, Twitter, and various forums. I'm using an ipad. I'm quite happy with video quality, but the audio quality using the ipad mic is only just about OK and could be improved. What I'd like to do is feed a couple of my studio mics into a mixer, and feed the output to the ipad so that it replaces the internal mic with the mixer output whilst I am recording video.

I know this is supposed to be possible based on Youtube totorials, and I have tried the mixer output jack into a trs adapter, and the trs adapter into a trrs adapter and then into the ipad headphone socket. However it doesn't mute the ipad internal mic.

Have any of you folks had any success using the ipad in this way? Any advice?

2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I’ve tried this out of desperation in certain situations in the past. It’s really not a practical way to capture audio. This may help you:

A USB mic to the iPad may suit your needs but utimately, an audio interface to a MacBook/iMac is what would work best.

mycroftxxx likes this.
  3. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Thanks ieatlions, looks useful.

4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I used a Behringer UMC404 interface along with a USB-C to USB hub thing and got pretty good results. That's with a recent iPad. On older ones I think you need the "Camera Connection Kit" to attach external USB thingeys.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Recently have been experimenting with OBS and NDI.

The learning curve on some of those apps could seem daunting
    but the results are awesome once you get things together.

We ended up going from an aux out of the X32 into a headphone
    mix used for IEM purposes, but it has variable gain for the headphone
    which lowered the volume so we could utilize it for the ipad input.

There is a switch, used to switch from internal mic to external source.
    It's on the audio microphone record app in your ipad.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Its all plug and play with most modern class compliant USB audio interfaces.

we record our full band from our big 22 channel Soundcraft desk to an ipad. Its is amazingly simple.

if you want a nice solution, id recommend a Yamaha MG12XU - stereo USB audio in and out, fx and a compressor.

if you already have a nice mixer, a stereo USB audio interface an ipad adaptor will do you.

i’d avoid an ipad specific interface or dock as Apple change the physical form.

7. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Folks, thanks for your contributions. I've got a bit of research to do now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.