Recording and Studio/workshop advice requested

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by thewriterbenny, Oct 10, 2021.

1. thewriterbenny

thewriterbenny TDPRI Member

I'll have to get used to Sketchup for other projects. It's been years since I used it haha. But great idea for planning it out.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

find a church that has an inhouse band, they will have a recording setup. Join the church, hanging out with the inhouse engineer and musicians, ask a lot of questions. you will get an education and possibly meet some nice folks.

thewriterbenny likes this.
  3. thewriterbenny

Thanks so much for the resources! I'm happy for the reading material. I'm getting a much better picture of how to lay things out already, thanks to everyone here.

4. thewriterbenny

Thanks for the advice! I'm fortunate to live in the country and the only nearby neighbor isn't quite close enough to hear anything. I have a cheap drum kit and have banged around on it trying to learn and it's tough to hear much outside of the building more than 100 feet away. I imagine with actual acoustic treatment and sound dampening, playing shouldn't be a bother. Not that there aren't some teenagers around here playing in parents' garages anyway, no one cares out in the sticks.

I really appreciate the advice on cost. Like I said in the original post, I've got no idea with all this so I'm glad I'm getting lots of similar advice from folks that know better.

5. thewriterbenny

That's really smart! I appreciate the prioritization idea.
    That's a really good point! Thank you for the wisdom. Honestly, the plan in the immediate future (say six months) is just getting some kind of separation for workshop/craft space and music space, getting HVAC ready, and dust control/air purification in the workshop/craft space. Recording/jam space is the plan eventually, but even just a decent space for playing is preferable. Thanks!

6. thewriterbenny

Great plan! Dust control is definitely top priority. Thankfully, the space has a good amount of windows, lights built in, and two big garage doors, so whatever can go wherever really.

7. thewriterbenny

Thanks for the advice! Plan is mostly myself, with the occasional jams with friends, so that's putting plans in perspective for me. Fortunately, it's pretty quiet out here in the sticks, but I appreciate the advice on soundproofing!

T Prior likes this.
  8. thewriterbenny

Really good advice on finding acoustic paneling! And also on mics and "finding a way". Appreciate it

0ct0Pr0n likes this.
  9. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

You don't have to over think this. A lot of hit records were recorded in boxes. Once you start recording pay attention and you will notice what frequencies your room absorbs or reflects and then compensate with the mix, it takes practice. As far as mics...SM57's are very handy I also use a Cascade Fat Head ribbon that is not too expensive, but I couldn't get by without a pair of AKG 414's and a Telefunken CU29 Copperhead. The CU29 sounds very close to a Neuman U87 at half the cost but also less functionality. If you go the cheap mic route it can add noise in the mix so when you mic drums the added noise may be audible. My mics are by far the most expensive part of the hardware. If you record the drums somewhere else I'd make sure they had good mics and that may cost you more.

0ct0Pr0n and thewriterbenny like this.
  10. TomBrokaw

TomBrokaw Tele-Meister

Here's a couple hours of messing around. I estimated 9' ceilings. The whole interior space is 23x33, and the walls are 6" thick.

Drum rug is 6'x7'. Couch is about 9 ft wide. Marshall full stack for scale. The desk is a sketchup model of the OnePlus desk which is a cool minimalist design and may or may not work for you.

Attached Files:

Mindthebull and T Prior like this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

NICE ! Living in the Sticks ! The Condenser mic will pick up the Chickens , the Rooster and the OWLS ! :eek::)

thewriterbenny and suthol like this.
  12. thewriterbenny

That's above and beyond! I really appreciate this!!

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've been out of the loop ... lots of great advice here. One question: what are those parallel runners on the ceiling? Is that a garage door?

14. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I just posted a link to this video on Sunday, but what the heck; it's a great introduction to soundproofing (or at least sound control) and acoustics:

Mitch's book on the topic is also well worth a read. As far as acoustics, you can email some of the companies that sell the stuff such as GIK and Auralex your room dimensions, and they'll provide you with excellent advice for free, as they want you to be happy with their products. It's also well worth it to pay a qualified consultant or acoustician to help design your space.

thewriterbenny likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.