1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recording a simulated Leslie speaker today.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by matman14, Mar 3, 2021.

1. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

I don't do a lot of stereo recording. I find it tends to fill up a lot of real estate in a mix very fast. But today we recorded a simulated Leslie rotary speaker with a pedal effect and two PRRI.

Was considering taking the lazy path of plugins and IRs but ultimately I like the uniqueness of a recording.

Tried a mic on each speaker. nah, Tried a different mic on each speaker, still nah. Tried a pair of Soyuz Fet013s in X-Y set up, better but still nah. Tried Mid Side with an LDC in figure 8 and a Soyuz Fet013, Almost.

Finally settled on a Royer R10 and a Soyuz Fet013 as an M/S pair, and we were off to the races.

[​IMG]

I'm glad I didn't take the lazy way out in the end!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

It would be interesting to hear a 5.1 mix
    and the mic placement plot.

Was your end result a solo recording
    or is it part of an ensemble mix?

matman14 likes this.
  3. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

I'd love to record a real Leslie in 5.1, this is basically stereo since the rotary effect is faked by level changes in the two amps creating a phantom center and fake rotation, so the rear channels would be the same as the side channels in this case.

This is going to be buried behind other stuff supporting a wobbly tremolo guitar (the combo of the two to me sound something between a flute, a piano, and a bell) which in itself will go behind an acoustic which will be underneath a multi part vocal. it's all about layers LOL.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    klasaine and studio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.